What's new
What's new

Moving Company for Granite (on cabinet - help needed)

olympictool1

Aluminum
Hey all, We found some beautiful wooden cabinets on craigslist that have black granite counter tops on them. I'm guessing they weigh some where in the range of a 1,000lb a piece. We are going to use the in the shop as lab tables and were offered them for free "IF WE CAN MOVE THEM". They have to go up a flight of stairs in our building also. The owner would prefer a moving company does this over us but i was wondering if anyone has gotten something like this done or knows of someone. We are in central jersey.
Any help is appreciated

image0.jpg

Hey all, We found some beautiful wooden cabinets on craigslist that have black granite counter tops on them. I'm guessing they weigh some where in the range of a 1,000lb a piece.
View attachment 289051

Pretty sure those are well under 1000 lbs. Measure length, width and thickness and multiply by roughly 0.1 lbs per cubic inch.
Hard to guess from the pics but if that is 3 ft x 8 ft x 1 inch you are looking at 36*96*1*0.1 = 345 lbs. Still not made of feathers, but there's a big difference between 345 and 1000 lbs.

Pretty sure those are well under 1000 lbs. Measure length, width and thickness and multiply by roughly 0.1 lbs per cubic inch.
Hard to guess from the pics but if that is 3 ft x 8 ft x 1 inch you are looking at 36*96*1*0.1 = 345 lbs. Still not made of feathers, but there's a big difference between 345 and 1000 lbs.

I Agree with you upon that and meant to fix the weight. They are 36W" x 42"H x 8'L, the black granite looks to be around 1 1/4" (Approx 20lb per sq ft) but we didn't go to measure because no one wants to touch it with a ten foot pole. I'm guessing its closer to the 350 - 500lb range then 1000 but yes still no feather. We have had two moving companies say yes and then call back and say no after sending a picture. Looks like a lost cause, but thank you for the heads up

I've gotten roped in to helping carry granite counter tops into a house twice. Never again. Just about stroked out going up stairs on the last one.

If I had to move those I would pop the granite off and move it by itself then the cabinets are nothing.

I used to work in a granite CNC shop before going to metal. I know just how heavy these can get along with watching a couple guys lose fingers loading and unloading slabs the wrong way. I'm not sure how they were originally installed if it was epoxied on or if screw thread inserts were installed into the granite, if it was epoxied on you might as well take a sledge hammer to it to get it apart, the cabinet will most likely get destroyed. At this point I think we are calling it a day on it.

Can you hire the fabricator's installers on the side?
Owner wants a company with insurance, I don't blame him because if one of these guys goes tumbling down the stairs with it then its on us. I am sure there is some one out there who would be willing but we are running out of time on it and cant find anyone willing to say yes.

maybe an of the wall suggestion but I would try a piano mover . I think what you describe might be an easy move for an experienced piano mover. Of course a more conventional suggestion given that this is a machinist form would be getting a rigger . Likely a very easy job for a rigging company but on the other hand I would think piano movers may have more experience with stairs and residential settings as this looks like it might be coming from a home

That is a great idea that i didn't think of. I'm actually not sure why/if we didn't call our usual riggers but i know he made multiple calls, maybe it was price. (i thought the same but its actually a yacht club and its on the first floor there we need it on the second)

The granite was glued to the cabinets with dabs of silicon. Success of trying to move down the stairs with tops attached is very low. Cabinets may separate with granite also breaking. You need to remove the tops. Try piano wire with handles to cut the silicone.
Owner is right to insist on an insured removal.

We used to have a company that specialized in moving heavy objects in this area. Pianos and gun safes among other stuff. I hired them to bring a heavy gun safe (600 lbs) down into my basement. They picked it up at the gun store and drove 45 miles to my place and took it down a flight of steps into the basement. $650.00 dollars. I asked what they would charge me to move it if I moved. They said sell it with the house.

JH

I have moved stuff like that. Installed a couple of optics benches in the engineering physics labs at my old job. The "small" one was about 800 pounds. I planned it very carefully. Fabbed any fixtures or rigging equipment I needed. Prepped very carefully. Took me about 4 hours to uncrate, rig, move, and install both tables. I did it single handed. Safer that way. Also moved lots of labtops (composite made of rock dust and resin) that have similar density. When we gutted some of the labs we tossed a lot out. Some of it came home and became kitchen counters and table. Great stuff. Never moved any of it up or down more than 2-3 steps without an elevator. OK enough bragging....

Unfortunately I don't know of any company around that has the equipment and expertise to do that kind of work because we did it ourselves. Only one I know of that comes close is even in New Jersey; Thorlabs. They make and sell optics benches and instruments. They have worked out some interesting rigging and equipment for moving and installing optics benches. I doubt they would be interested in your project but I would bet they know an outfit that has the ability and the insurance coverage etc. I would give them a polite call and ask if they know of anyone that can help you: Thorlabs, Inc. - Your Source for Fiber Optics, Laser Diodes, Optical Instrumentation and Polarization Measurement & Control

-DU-

Separate the top from the cabinet. Try a Sawzall blade, just the blade itself. Tap a wedge between the corner blocks and the top as you saw thru the silicone. If this is not possible then pry the corner blocks off the cabinet and replace them later. Turn the top vertically onto a cradle . The bottom of the cradle is made like a skid. The top is clamped to the vertical part of the cradle in the center of the skid. The top is probably 25" wide. Make sure the skid and the vertical part is strong enough that tipping over can't happen. If their is doorway that a 4x4 or piece of steel can span, use it to hold a winch or hoist, electric or manual. The skid rides on the treads or planks that placed on the treads. If their is no way to use mechanical advantage then a new manila rope and a couple of strong men will suffice.
When the top gets to the last tread, place a skate or dolly under the front of the skid.
Let the skid down til the back end will drop off the tread onto another dolly. Wheel it to your truck or trailer.
Hoist the top on the skid up the stairs . I forgot to mention that the good side of the top be clamped to the vertical part of the skid. When you are ready to unclamp and lift the top in place you do not have to turn the top over .

mike

Move them to the door in the normal way (rollers, pipes, whatever). Hire a guy with a truck with a knuckle boom on it. Have him hook onto each piece and skid it out to where he can get at it, then rig it and lift it onto his truck and strap down. Move to your place. Open big window on desired floor. Have knuckle boom drop each piece through the window. Move to locations in the normal way (big guy on each corner, whatever). Pay the guy with the truck.

Knuckle boom trucks are amazingly versatile. I used to own one.

metalmagpie

Cabinets and counter tops do not go in assembled, and they are not going to come out assembled either. (with rare exceptions maybe*) You will be hard pressed to find someone willing to move that due to the liability of breaking the granite. If you express that you are planning to use it for a shop counter, and let them know upfront that you understand it might break and oh well you still owe them...that might help.

I would call a small general contractor (handyman), and having spent the better part of my life in residential construction think that you could find someone willing to help you. I would also tell the owner that if he wants them out for free, maybe he will just need to be less picky about who does it...

Back