What's new
What's new

Moving heavy equipment the hard way

Jager

Hot Rolled
I had to move my 25" Standard Lodge & Shipley approx. 50 feet to our main roll up door so that it could be winched onto a rollback and taken to the new owners shop. It weighs about 15k lbs and had to be manuvered a bit to get around the 2 post lift and metal rack.

001-4.jpg

I built an expedient attachment to turn my 32 ton bottle jack into a toe jack. It is nothing fancy, just heavy scrap plate and a small chunk of heavy pipe that just happened to fit the ram perfectly. It didnt take long to make and it did the job with no problem.

002-4.jpg

I bolted a set of 1/2" plate ski's under the base at the headstock and a pair of 3x3 angle iron skis at the tail end. I used (2) 1" solid steel bars at each end to roll it across the floor. The majority of the work was done with a 5 foot pry bar and a 10 lb sledge.. a roughnecks best friends :D

I took a video to show how much of a pain in the ass this process is.. especially when you are doing it all by yourself.

YouTube - ‪Moving a 15,000 lb. lathe by hand‬‏

Next time sweep the floor first (makes a world of difference), buy a cheap cum along winch (1/2ton of real pulls enough) Then you only have to crab it around the obstructions with the pry bar. Alternative just pull it with a verichal. Even a small truck will easily pull it along on rollers.

Lifting the end every jerk with the crow bar is really doing it the hard way!

buy a cheap cum along winch

yup
first payroll deduct item i ever got
saves my ass all the time
pulled an ACME RA-6 (30k screw machine) out from behind 2 others slick as snot with a 3/4 ton years ago with energy to spare

the important part is you did it.

Who cares if it was the hard way.

I have to move a 8000 lbs machine about 20 feet. It's on 6" high wood block right now that sit on hard packed gravel (not sure how hard packed).

I have to move it the 20 feet then lift up onto a concrete landing that is 7-8 inches higher than the gravel.

I'll probably end up doing it the hard way too.

Next time sweep the floor first (makes a world of difference), buy a cheap cum along winch (1/2ton of real pulls enough) Then you only have to crab it around the obstructions with the pry bar. Alternative just pull it with a verichal. Even a small truck will easily pull it along on rollers.

Lifting the end every jerk with the crow bar is really doing it the hard way!

The floor was swept very well in the path of the lathe. I wasnt able to use the forklift that I would normally use to help push something on rollers. I had to get it done that night... so I did :D

15,000 pounds? I may be wrong, but it doesn't look to be that heavy.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken!

It has a fairly short bed, but it is very heavy. The headstock and tailstock are massive and then theres the 20 hp motor hanging off of the backside.. I was told 14-15k lbs.

Andrew

Moving monarch

I like to do it this way .
Collector

Attachments

• May 2011 Monarch lathe 002.jpg
    May 2011 Monarch lathe 002.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,502
  • May 2011 Monarch lathe 004.jpg
    May 2011 Monarch lathe 004.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,789
Last edited:
Thanks Jager, great illustration.

No doubt there will be lots of links to it over the years, "whuddaya' mean it weighs 1,500 pounds, check out Jager with 10 times that, doin" it the hard way too!":D

Quick poll, anybody not jealous of Collector? ....in a good way...:)

2nd question, which one's the skinny one, Jager or Collector?:D

Bob

Jager, the few times Ive ever had to move some equipment, all I had was two big pinch bars, and some rollers underniether the machine. Its slow and labor intensive, but In my small shop thats all I had to get the job done. It works.

You know its heavy when it shakes the camera!:eek:

Andrew, If you don't mine saying, who's the new owner?

It definitely shook the floor pretty good a few times!

A fellow from Goliath Manufacturing here in Houston bought it. Going to use it to build modules for oil field mud pumps among other things.

I like to do it this way .
Collector

I would LOVE to have that option. Your shop is amazing.. I drool every time you post up pictures :)

Andrew

No doubt there will be lots of links to it over the years, "whuddaya' mean it weighs 1,500 pounds, check out Jager with 10 times that, doin" it the hard way too!":D

Bob

lol.. nice Bob :D

Bob

I'm not jealous of anyone. Been doing it the same way for 50 years and I'm just as skinny as Jager. I wonder why my back hurts? :D

Best wishes to ya'll.

Sincerely,

Jim

It has a fairly short bed, but it is very heavy. The headstock and tailstock are massive and then theres the 20 hp motor hanging off of the backside.. I was told 14-15k lbs.

Andrew

!5,000 lbs is approximately 7.5 tons in our money. That's a lot for a short centre lathe. I moved an Herbert 9C-30 the other day, they're a big turret lathe with a big motor and they weigh a fair bit less than that. Just going off the photo I'd have said 10,000 maximum. Regards Tyrone.

Back