What's new
What's new

Moving an Index Mill super 55 6 hours in a 3/4 ton pickup

oldtom01

Plastic
Hi, long time reader, first time commenter.

I did a forum search on this and found threads about using 1/2 ton pickups (don't) and short moves, but I couldn't find any where the specific situation is a long interstate move with a load rated pick up truck.

I bought an index mill super 55 (always wanted one) from a fella 300 miles away. I have a Ram 2500 (4000 pound payload) and he said lifting and putting the mill into it on his end was no problem. On my end I have a tow truck on stand by to pick it out of the bed.

My worry is doing 300 miles at highway speed safely. The Index is 2000 pounds and looks less top heavy than a Bridgepot, so my plan it lower the knee all the way. Block in base with 2x6s and some cribbing. Ratchet strap the heck out of it with 3" straps and then just drive very carefully for 6 hours.

Thoughts?

Can you rotate the head "upside down" to help lower the CG? I have carried heavier than that on the back of my '78 F250 200+ miles. I would be most concerned about where the ratchet straps will hook to on the truck.

Still unsafe. YOu might drive carefully, but others around you won't.

Most of all, the truck might be able to handle 4,000lbs in a static, upright position, but the bed isn't capable of tying down that load, especially around corners and sudden stops. You've got nothing to anchor to except tinfoil.

Last, that load is quite high relative to the axle centerline. If it did start in one direction, and it were anchored well, it probably would turn the truck over.

I'd be OK with doing it as a 1/4 mile, down the street run. 6 hours is a long drive.

Hi, long time reader, first time commenter.

I did a forum search on this and found threads about using 1/2 ton pickups (don't) and short moves, but I couldn't find any where the specific situation is a long interstate move with a load rated pick up truck.

I bought an index mill super 55 (always wanted one) from a fella 300 miles away. I have a Ram 2500 (4000 pound payload) and he said lifting and putting the mill into it on his end was no problem. On my end I have a tow truck on stand by to pick it out of the bed.

My worry is doing 300 miles at highway speed safely. The Index is 2000 pounds and looks less top heavy than a Bridgepot, so my plan it lower the knee all the way. Block in base with 2x6s and some cribbing. Ratchet strap the heck out of it with 3" straps and then just drive very carefully for 6 hours.

Thoughts?

Apparently you didn't read that much ....here is the "cliff notes":

Rent a trailer.

I have done stuff like this with no problems . Probably not the smartest thing to do? Your going to drive cautiously. I would be more concerned about tire problems than anything else? Put plenty of air in the tires?

milling.jpg

As you can the Index doesn't have the ram/turret assembly of a Bridgeport. You tilt the head a little left to right, but not enough to make much difference, I don't think.

+1 for what Digger Doug mentioned.

If you really want to transport it in your truck, disassemble it into the table, head, base etc etc and load those into your truck. It will lower the center of gravity. However, a word of caution that others have mentioned — the standard truck bed is a huge weak point and cannot support binding down a one ton payload. If you have a fabricated bed/flatbed designed for binding/strapping down these kind of loads, then that’s a different story.

+1 for what Digger Doug mentioned.

If you really want to transport it in your truck, disassemble it into the table, head, base etc etc and load those into your truck. It will lower the center of gravity. However, a word of caution that others have mentioned — the standard truck bed is a huge weak point and cannot support binding down a one ton payload. If you have a fabricated bed/flatbed designed for binding/strapping down these kind of loads, then that’s a different story.

Ok serious question. If these trucks are rated at 4000 pounds why are the beds considered a weak point? Or do you mean the tie down points? Where exactly does the 4000 pounds come from if the bed is considered the weak point? 4000 pounds of dirt distributed evenly across bed?

Serious question. If these trucks are payload rated for 4000 pounds why is the bed the weak point?

Serious question. If these trucks are payload rated for 4000 pounds why is the bed the weak point?

You can safely set that much weight on the suspension of the truck. It is a byproduct of obtaining desired towing capacity. It does not mean the little eyelet bolted to your sheet metal bed will restrain this much weight. People that want to utilize their truck's payload safely install flat beds. You can probably rent a uhaul trailer for $40/day?

Because there are loads then there are loads.

4000lbs of gravel? OK. It's spread out all over the bed and needs no securing.

4000lbs of your 12 foot tall bronze replica of the Statue of Liberty? Tip City.

No worries, you seem to be wanting everyone to validate your original idea.

Because you will not be traveling anywhere near ME, I say "go for it", but I doo worry about what you will be doing to the rest of the good law abiding people by skirting the law.

The law of "common sense".

As well as putting everyone around you (in traffic)
in danger.

All, thank you for answers. That makes sense. Looks like I'll get a trailer. I've got access to an Isuzu 16' foot stakebed too, that I can borrow. I'd rather take a truck than haul a trailer. I didn't want to do the Isuzu because of the gas, but what do you think of that vs trailer?

All, thank you for answers. That makes sense. Looks like I'll get a trailer. I've got access to an Isuzu 16' foot stakebed too, that I can borrow. I'd rather take a truck than haul a trailer. I didn't want to do the Isuzu because of the gas, but what do you think of that vs trailer?
Been covered multiple times yet again by fearless leader "Milacron".

Because there are loads then there are loads.

4000lbs of gravel? OK. It's spread out all over the bed and needs no securing.

4000lbs of your 12 foot tall bronze replica of the Statue of Liberty? Tip City.

NYS requires all loose loads (gravel, dirt, grain, etc) to be secured by a tarping system. I can't speak to any other states

Mostly it will want to tip and slide forward ..and tip your truck over sideways on a tight curve. Be sure to have it tied with ropes/straps not going oner any sharp edges, and blocked-in for these conditions good to have a copilot along and take is slow , signal well ahead of any changes...I like to plastic wrap a machine to save any fall-off parts and to keep road dust out.

Good to have a brace on thw floor so it cant slide forward ..and a cribing so it cant tip forward...$20 worth of 2x4 well spent.

Brakes and trans will be under a lot of stress so longer takeoff and stop distance..

I like to tie on a red rag so its flapping in the wind alerts other drivers you have a load,
Much safer to go on a dry day and try to miss heavy traffic times.

Trailers can be lower center of gravity and have better places to tie to.
* Check tire pressure of truck or trailer.

Digger I'm really not looking for validation. I've just never moved anything like this before and I'm trying to understand. Like I said other posts on using pickup trucks seemed to always involve undersized trucks or the inconvenience of loading and unloading. I didn't realize the bed is also such a weak point.

Looks like consensus is trailer if you can get one, so I'll get one. Other than personally hating driving trailers its not a big deal.

For a very short distance this would be feasible, since the odds of someone slamming on the brakes in front of you or cutting you off are fairly low on a short trip. Should not even try it on a trip the distance you describe unless there's absolutely no other option, and then you should probably drive like a grandma in the slow lane with the blinkers on and that will piss off everyone around you.

Get a trailer with good stout tie-down points or use the stake-bed truck if it has good stout tie-down points.

I made a very dumb move when I was a youngster and hauling a 2,000 pound or so load back to the shop I was working in with a 3/4 ton pickup. I strapped it in place with only two tie-straps - that might have been rated for 500 pounds - thinking I would be fine for the short trip. Mid-way back to the shop some bimbo cut right in front of me, almost bumper to bumper, and slammed on her brakes to make a turn or for a light, I forget. I panic-braked, which broke the tie strap securing the load to the rear. The job slid like it was on ice and slammed right into the front of the truck bed, bending the bed until it slammed into the rear of the cab. Nowadays I take a little more care.

Your load may use the best tie-straps that are rated for the load and even panic stops but if your tie points can't hold that force, the straps won't do you any good. I would cut blocks that fit around the base of the machine and secure it by blocking it in first, then use the straps mainly just to hold it down.

Back