What's new
What's new

Moving a Jones and Shipman 540 (do's and donts)

nickom

Plastic
Hello All,

I am bidding on a Jones and Shipman 540 surface grinder and would like to ask if it is considered ok to move the machine with it laying down on its back.

Best regards
nick

I would say somewhere between no and hell no!
You would have to do allot of preparation to do it safely and even then it wouldn’t be a good idea.
Table removal, hyd tank drain and wheel head/slide removal or securing are the first things that come to mind.

Yeah, I thought as much, I'm quite concerned moving it on a luton type van , i understand they are top heavy and can topple easily.

Does the table just lift off the saddle.

Thanks
nick

Hi,
Sort of, from memory the only thing you need to disconnect is the hyd ram that drives the table. Depending on how far you have to go I would be tempted to leave the table on and secure it in place. Securing the whole machine is easy, thoughtfully they put a couple of eyes on the very top. Perfect for securing the machine. Suggest having a google to see the correct lifting procedures, it is nicely set out on the 540.

I will let the 540 guys answer this.
But do set the wheel on a wood block so the up/down is lose, in its free play zone.
Crib machine so it will not tip forward when hauling.. most often machines tend to slide tip forward,, and some tendency to tip on curves...

Bolted to a pallet is a good idea.

I like to plastic wrap a grinder, any machine to keep dust out and parts from falling off.

I think you'll find that they aren't at all top heavy. There's a lot more mass in the base than there is in the column.

Plus one on the correct lifting procedure. Get a manual from lathes.co.uk if you can't find one elsewhere.

When I get it back home , because I don't have an engine hoist tall enough to lift it off the van I think I will need to strip it down into smaller parts. Is this feasible , I think i will need to strip it down anyway to give it a good inspection and clean up.

As always, I really appreciate any advice.

Hi,
Unfortunately the 540 dose not strip down well. You could remove the vertical casting that holds the wheel head..... it would just be a real pain in the backside. I would really recommend getting a lift to remove it in one bit, spending Some money on this will save allot of pain.

TIP;- A very good rule of thumb, is unless a machine tool is designed to come apart to be moved (due to size etc etc) then DON'T take it apart.

Yes by all means removed ''surplus odds n sods'' but when you get down to basics like beds and headstocks or grinder wheelheads etc etc leave them in one piece.

As others have said the table is only held down by the bendy rams. Undo these from each end and lift the table off. The ram will stick out - so be careful not to bend it.
The Hydraulic tank will be full of gunk and oil. It can be removed by undoing the front panel then disconnecting 2 hoses and the wire for the motor. I didn't do this, but if you don't be ready for some slopage when moving.
The column does not simply unbolt, best not to.

Mine (late 60s) has 2 hooks in the casting about waist height either side of the cross feed wheel. There are also 2 eyebolts at the top of the column. These are the rigging points for lifting. Don't lift /strap anywhere else, especially things like the handwheel tubes

EC399542-E735-423-F-BDFC-926599-B5139-C.jpg

If you are lifting with an engine crane then you will need a long reach one to get enough height.
I moved mine around on a pallet truck, only lifting it with the crane to get on and off the truck.
D35529-D1-CEC6-4291-A273-772-C7663-C924.jpg

They are not that bad tippy wise, I moved mine when I bought it in a normal box trailer, and again when I moved house.

Dave

Many mag chucks are somewhat loosely bolted at one end so that they don't bow up when they warm up. The loose end can let the mag chuck shift during movement. Maybe tighten both ends down before moving?

I second the suggestion to drain the hydraulic tank before moving. I would add, drain it into 5 gallon buckets with lids so you can reuse it.

Before restarting when you get it home, visually check that none of the hydraulic hoses came loose during the move. That might save you experiencing the joy of seeing a lake of expensive new hydraulic fluid all over your shop floor.

I learned the above 3 lessons in the school of hard knocks by moving my 618 surface grinder home from about 50 miles away.

Oh, and congratulations on acquiring a fine machine!

metalmagpie

Hi All,
Thanks for the advice, I'm glad I didn't attempt to move it, I decided to pay for it to be delivered. Worth every penny.

Back