What's new
What's new

Moving Lathe

majohnson

Cast Iron
Doing a search I read about guys using Penske and U Haul box trucks to do their own machine moving. I have read some post about out not using box vans as there is not sufficent tie down points. I looking at buying a lathe in Southern California and moving it to Colorado. Anyone have suggestions on a moving company that reasonable.

Shipping in a box is much different than on an open trailer. The big thing is to attach the machine to a wide, sturdy pallet so that it cannot tip over while driving. Then you just position the machine against a wall in the box and strap it to the wall. The tie downs are more about keeping the machine from sliding around. The pallet keeps it from rolling over.

If you ever see how van trailers are used, they basically just fill them front to back and pack the pallets as tight as they can. The pallets slide around, but they can't really go anywhere. The walls are covered in plywood and usually a track that can accept special straps. It's pretty fast and loose, but it works surprisingly well.

How big of a machine? From my experience in getting quotes on moving machines, for just 1 machine its just not worth it, full load the cost gets spread out per machine so its not so bad. Of course my experience is with older manual machines, if you are talking a high dollar machine its all different.

The best way I can think of and have done it a couple times now is to use a drop bed trailer. Not a tilt bed, but a hydraulic drop bed trailer. The entire trailer bed drops all the way to ground and stays flat for the entire lift/lower cycle. Tandem axle trailer is perfect size for all but the largest lathes. The advantage is that you can use pipe or skates to roll the unit from the trailer to the ground with only about a 6-8” elevation difference. I have bolted to 4x4 timbers in one case and just set down on 2x4s in another. These trailers have heavy duty tiedowns al the way around the trailer. I have also moved a coulple mills this way as well as full tool boxes, etc. the only downside is that they are open air trailers, so weather and or shrink wrapping may be a concern.

Most engine lifts max out at 2000 pounds so they are out. A gantry can be had i n2 ton and larger sizes. No idea if they can be rented. I like the drop bed trailer, often rented with a scissor lift.
I hear some places will not rent just the trailer you have to rent the scissor lift and park it somewhere while you use the trailer.
Bil lD.
Bill D.

Pickup truck and trailer is the only thing that ever makes any sense. Co to SoCal in 16 hours. Leave Friday night, get there Saturday afternoon, load up and start back. Roll in Sunday afternoon. All other options will be too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is about a $1400 ride, tarped, on a semi. But that will require someone on each end to take care of loading and unloading.

Its a bad time of year to move machinery due to the salt and deicing solutions on the roads. Trucker tarps aren't found in big box stores.

Good to bolt it to wide feet, perhaps 4x4s so it is not tippy going to ,on and off loading, strap it across so no sharp edges are under your straps. lift it straight up and bring the open trailer to be uoner..off lod the same way just straight up and take the trailer out from under. Feel about machine to assure no loose parts,, Lock Travel and wrap tight so loose parts fall into wrapping. Drive on a non raining , dry road day. and drive like you have a hot coffee on the dash.Good to have a p[artner along to watch for problems.

Also good to screw in a bump rail so it can not slide forward.

Thanks for the suggestions. Knowing my luck I have blow outs on trailer coming across 40 with no spares in the middle of a snow storm.

Doing a search I read about guys using Penske and U Haul box trucks to do their own machine moving. I have read some post about out not using box vans as there is not sufficent tie down points. I looking at buying a lathe in Southern California and moving it to Colorado. Anyone have suggestions on a moving company that reasonable.

I may be one of those "guys", what with four Penske, three fly-in, one-way-drop back 26', one out-and-back 24', and two Local-not-Penske out-and-back all "box" body shorter yet free-way jumping beans (love the 26-footer and its ajustable on-the-fly air ride!)

I do not recommend it for just anyone.

Securing the load requires "weirdness" I don't even like to share with anyone not a structural truss or timber-trestle bridge guru lest someone have worse luck than mine!

The trailer Praff cited is easier to load, unload, and secure well. Cheaper, too. Waaaay cheaper.

Downside is you need a proper tow-vehicle and I do not personally class 1500-series pickups as very well qualified if run bed-empty-mostly or even 'at all'.

When I moved my shop I used a drop deck trailer. The biggest items were the Bridgeport and the 16 x 40 lathe. To move the lathe I raised it and bolted 5' 4x4's cross ways to prevent tipping. I had skates and a toe lift jack to get the machines up on the skates. I used a HF 120v winch to pull the machines onto the drop deck. United Rental wanted $85 per day for their trailer. I was able to rent one from Sunbelt for $300 per month.

Thanks for the suggestions. Knowing my luck I have blow outs on trailer coming across 40 with no spares in the middle of a snow storm.

I've found that carrying 2 or more spares cancels out all possibility of blow outs:D.

If seller has no means of lifting, either rent a forklift, or pay a tow truck to lift it and just back trailer underneath. I'm sure it can be done with more manual methods, but you better have help, and be ready to get out of way if it dumps.

I've found that carrying 2 or more spares cancels out all possibility of blow outs:D.

Only if you make sure they are aired-up...... Forgot to check them once, and yep.... got a major flat at night, on a 2 lane road along the side of a hill out in the sticks.

Build a pallet to bolt the machine to. Make it with a large enough footprint where the machine has to tip its own weight. Secure the pallet, strap the machine down (properly), and shrink wrap as needed.

The key is to mount the machine to a solid base. If you can lag it to the decking (assuming it's like 2" rough cut white oak), then you're good. Secure machine, secure pallet (if used), and get it home.

I disagree with the guys that say "let it slide". That's just stupid, but hey, it's their shit, not mine.

The best way I can think of and have done it a couple times now is to use a drop bed trailer. Not a tilt bed, but a hydraulic drop bed trailer. The entire trailer bed drops all the way to ground and stays flat for the entire lift/lower cycle. Tandem axle trailer is perfect size for all but the largest lathes. The advantage is that you can use pipe or skates to roll the unit from the trailer to the ground with only about a 6-8” elevation difference. I have bolted to 4x4 timbers in one case and just set down on 2x4s in another. These trailers have heavy duty tiedowns al the way around the trailer. I have also moved a coulple mills this way as well as full tool boxes, etc. the only downside is that they are open air trailers, so weather and or shrink wrapping may be a concern.

Iwas just going to suggest the drop deck trailer. Look for Sunbelt REental in your AO they'll have one to rent

Most engine lifts max out at 2000 pounds so they are out. A gantry can be had i n2 ton and larger sizes. No idea if they can be rented. I like the drop bed trailer, often rented with a scissor lift.
I hear some places will not rent just the trailer you have to rent the scissor lift and park it somewhere while you use the trailer.
Bil lD.
Bill D.

Sunbelt will rent just the trailer

I moved a Cinci #2 T&C Grinder, #2 horizontal, a Chinese 4-40 lathe, a small radial drill and several tool boxes and cabinets... from N. Calif. to NE Wyo all in one trip. I used a Ryder van - a diesel pulled it nicely. I bought oak 2 x 6's and bolted these to the bases of the machines, THEN I lag bolted them to the bed of the truck - I strapped things to the walls and did some additional bracing from corners to the machines and drove the truck like I owned it, not like I stole it - had no issues. How creative do you want to be? I hauled a "0" G&L HBM from a few states east of me the same way #6800 no issues... Excluding my time, the cost was better. Now my time is at a premium I call around and get quotes,(Bennett trucking? Freight Quote?, [Hi-Ball trucking-800-621-7831] some options I use, Fastenal in the North central US) ask the seller if they can recommend a firm or someone they prefer to work with?

Look for a truck line who runs the route you need and ask for a “back haul” rate. It might be cheap. They don’t want to run a truck empty, so might quote you a good price. All this depends on the seller mounting the machine to a good pallet. You might have to pick it up at the freight company’s dock in Denver. Worth looking into.

Back