Moving & mid-term storage of home shop machines - recommendations? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am with Thermite on this...
    Some years back i moved to new digs down the street. While waiting for the construction to be completed i moved a small home shop including a nice 10" Delta Rockwell lathe (bench mounted)
    a nice Walker Turner drill press, grinders, welder and a small shaper to the local storage facility.

As things go more important chores took time precedence and the machines remained in storage past my move in at the new place....
    In the end i would have been better off (time and money) to have given away the machines and replaced them when i made the move...
    Money spent to store , and the time to move both directions were a waste. Would have been better off jut replacing everything when i was settled!
    Which eventually i did anyway...should have saved the effort and time....Nothing there was all that precious and better was to come, lesson learned!
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I moved cross country almost 10 years ago I thought about using Pods for some items as I could pack at my leisure, that was until I saw the prices. Don't know if they came down in price but they were not economical for me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    When I moved cross country almost 10 years ago I thought about using Pods for some items as I could pack at my leisure, that was until I saw the prices. Don't know if they came down in price but they were not economical for me.
    We did a PODS unit when we moved west after college and everything fit in one. Years later when we moved back across the country, PODS wasn't the cheapest option, so we went with U-haul U-boxes. They are smaller but you get more than one. I brought a pallet scale home from work and we maxed out the weight limit on them with books and boxes that were already packed. It saved us a lot of money when the actual movers came. 6000# less stuff for them to pack and move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    Relative humidity in New England in winter is far lower than in an open top Conex crossing the Pacific. And LPS-3 is only a liquid while you're spraying it on. It's basically wax in solvent; it stays put.
    Ah, yes, the magic liquid. Turns to a solid.

RH is lower in NE in the winter, on a seasonal basis. But it only takes a few days in the wet to make rust. He's in Boston, it rains plenty there in the winter. Coating every metal surface on every machine would take days, then days to take all that crap off and re-oil when putting the machines back into service. His time is worth something, IMO - spend a day working to pay the controlled climate storage bill instead.

5. Likes Dumpster_diving liked this post