What's new
What's new

Moving a Nebal HD lathe

ratbldr427

Titanium
Due to space constraints we decided to move our Nebal 24" HD lathe to our warehouse and have power to it just incase we need it.We were going to move it ourselves but with every thing we have going on decided to have our local rigger move it.Thought the skates he had, while nothing new, I had never seen before.

Remote control battery operated.One of our helpers said he told him they cost over 50k.Sounds a little high but who knows?

Attachments

• 20191223_123718.jpg
    20191223_123718.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 187
  • 20191223_122536 (1).jpg
    20191223_122536 (1).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 20191223_123713.jpg
    20191223_123713.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 166
I'v got some pictures if I can find them.You would think after using that machine for 20 years of and on and looking at the nameplate every gear change I would know how to spell it.Call it a senior moment,I'm sure John O knows what I'm talking about!

I have the manual for it but although it lists all the specs it doesn't list the weight.I'm thinking 10k?

Call it a senior moment,I'm sure John O knows what I'm talking about!

Most noticeable in these few weeks before my eightieth is the lack of knowing why I came across the shop to get something:D

Guess I need to take notes before I head over there. :D

Over $50k is accurate. I have purchased lots of moving skates from them for my real job.
I’m still considering the robot.
We have lots of the smaller 3-6ton ones and a couple sets of the tandem, which when configured properly can move over 160,000#

They have some really cool toe jacks too(no experience with them)

GKS | Heavy Duty Dollies, Skates & Jacks | Heavy Load Moving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here are some pictures of the lathe aka NEBEL.
The hardened ways show no wear and the lathe cuts very accurately.It has some minor issues such as the cheesy gear selector device and a brake problem.It has a 2spd motor.I don't get the no3 MT in the ts on a lathe this size.
I've just never had time to fix them.Whenever I had to use it was on a hot job that wouldn't fit the other lathes and I swear each time I'll fix everything just never have time.Now that it's moved maybe never.

BTW John O I just turned 75;whats it like to be an old fart,just want to know what i've got to look forward to!

Attachments

• DSCF0160.jpg
    DSCF0160.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF0162.jpg
    DSCF0162.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF0161.jpg
    DSCF0161.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 95
That is practically a brand new one:D

whats it like to be an old fart

It's fun. There is a lot you can get away with, like not wanting to mow the lawn:D

Another - sitting patiently thru the endless tedium of the better half getting new glasses, she commented that I looked "frail" - and I used that the rest of the day - in a kidding way - for not being able to do things

OT- Questions for Rat Builder 427

Please ignore this if you think it will derail your thread.

With your age, location and the handle you use:

Did you ever meet LeeRoy Yarbrough? Peter Gregg? What about Conney the parts guy at Duval Ford?

ripperj,You mentioned toe jacks;we have one for lifting fork lifts.It is pretty handy.I lifted the Nebel ts end after using a pry bar to shim it high enough to get under.
Would have been nice to have had it when we moved to this plant.

Note on the lathe with the 2sp motor and hi/lo range gear selector it has 36 speeds.It has a taper att and has Travel dials on ts and carriage.

Never met Peter Gregg but Brumos was across the street from my first business.Several mechanic friends worked for the race shop.
Never met Leroy,saw him a Ray Fox's garage in 69 or 70.They had one of the 429 Ford engines just about sawed in half on the floor.Shame about Leroy no telling how far he would have gone, he definitely had the talent.Conny from Duval Ford?Ironically when I worked at GT Chev we used to buy AC spark plugs from them!

Do not worry about your memory as you get older. As you get older you just attach more significance to any thing you forget. If your memory was really starting to go you would not remember that you forgot something. Those with dementia are the last to know it, if they ever do.
Bill D.

Back