What's new
What's new

Mr Deburr stinks

The machine is awesome. The cleaning compound that I got with it stinks after a short period of use to the point of being offensive, people that come in the shop comment on it and I have to keep the door open when using it.
Mr Deburr 300DB ** STARTER KIT FOR ALUMINUM plus STARTER KIT FOR STEEL
Anyone suggest another concentrate to use?
Thanks

if the bucket of water sits for longer than a day or 2 it will stink, your suppose to change the water out all the time. has nothing to do with the soap, everything to do with alum dust mixing with water, just like coolant.
I use the vt77 every single day for the last 3-4 years on alum / sometimes I change the water 2-3 times per day not because of the stink but because of the powder from the synthetic media I use. you really need to use CLEAN water.
on ceramics with stainless I do the same.

1 to 2 oz per cup is all you need.
most dish soap will leave a film on parts as well as some other cleaning soaps made for tumbling.

I have used/tried almost every type of compound/soap/etc. when tumbling. For the initial stage w/plastic media I use Simple Green concentrate at a ratio of 1 cup/5 gallons and use a flow through system. The solution never stinks. I have also found that I get better cutting action (reducing cycle times) with SG as it does not produce a slimy/soapy film on the media which inhibits the cutting action. YMMV

if the bucket of water sits for longer than a day or 2 it will stink, your suppose to change the water out all the time. has nothing to do with the soap, everything to do with alum dust mixing with water, just like coolant.
I use the vt77 every single day for the last 3-4 years on alum / sometimes I change the water 2-3 times per day not because of the stink but because of the powder from the synthetic media I use. you really need to use CLEAN water.
on ceramics with stainless I do the same.

1 to 2 oz per cup is all you need.<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Sorry thats 1-2 oz per gallon
most dish soap will leave a film on parts as well as some other cleaning soaps made for tumbling.

Had a brain fart above

It is a vibratory finisher. You use vibratory finishing compound. You mix it 1 oz to a gallon of water. Then you run 1 gallon per cubic foot per hour into the machine. It drains out the bottom of the machine. This keeps the parts and media clean. (And it will never stink.) I've been selling/using this stuff since 1978 to 1,903 current customers.
Vibratory Finishing Mass Finishing Ball Burnishing Deburring Media Compound Equipment

Based on what you said should I have 2 buckets, one with the clean solution and one under the drain? I didn't consider that as an option.
Thanks

Yes, the vibratory finisher should be hooked up to a drain. Most people, depending on volume, drain the machine into a sediment tank to allow settling, and then run the hose off the other end to a drain.

Yes, the vibratory finisher should be hooked up to a drain. Most people, depending on volume, drain the machine into a sediment tank to allow settling, and then run the hose off the other end to a drain.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I am currently recirculating the liquid and will try the 2 bucket approach.

Back