What's new
What's new

multifix

dero

Plastic
Hi
I am new to the forum , have been watching for a while but this is my first post .
I would like to fit a multifix tool post , after some inquiries it seems that the new post does not fit the existing mounting stud precisely like the original , there is a few mm here and there clearance .
Add to this a spacer required to get the correct tool height , even worse .
Is this a problem , should I make a new stud , or does it matter ?

Thanks

Derek

You must have one of those Asian lathes that use a stud rather than a T slot on the compound slide to mount the tool post. Yes I would make a new stud to fit the post with a reduced threaded end to fit the lathe.

Yes it is a Taiwanese lathe .
Suppliers of the multifix tool holders say it does not matter , but they are selling something , so I wanted to check with people that use this stuff all the time .

Perhaps there is another size of multifix Toolposts that would fit your lathe without modification? Offhand, it sounds like you got one that is too small.

I have checked all the available sizes & consulted the suppliers , A seems to be the appropriate size , but it is not a perfect fit to the mounting stud .
2 suppliers assure me that it does not matter .

If you're relying on the stud to locate the toolpost you're doing it wrong, you'll be surprised how much this doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes it is a Taiwanese lathe .
Suppliers of the multifix tool holders say it does not matter , but they are selling something , so I wanted to check with people that use this stuff all the time .

What size lathe ?
And...
What size Multifix ?

The lathe is a hafco AL1000c....330mm x 1000mm....1.5kw
Centre height from top of top slide is 43mm which means I need a spacer 10-12mm to lift the tool holder up .
The top slide is 74mm wide which limits the choices .
" A " SIZE Multifix has been recommended by both the Chinese & German suppliers .
The original tool holder was a nice tight fit on the stud but there is a few mm here & there with the multi fix .

You must have one of those Asian lathes that use a stud rather than a T slot on the compound slide to mount the tool post. Yes I would make a new stud to fit the post with a reduced threaded end to fit the lathe.

I've noticed the euro lathe here, sold in this market with an integral stud, over there with the preference was for a T slot, so they made them that way too.

Not familiar with that machine, but Michael Moore has his link to sizing and dimensions if you want to second guess the suppliers - Multifix toolpost brochure

Can't say I remember running into a problem with mounting, sleeving the stud should be a simple job with a lathe on hand! Have spaced up all the multifixes here so there's no need to dick around altering changing tool height, swapping from lathe to lathe. There's been no dowling either, possibly a 3hp or so lathe, if usual Hafco fare, shouldn't present issues??

I have checked all the available sizes & consulted the suppliers , A seems to be the appropriate size , but it is not a perfect fit to the mounting stud .
2 suppliers assure me that it does not matter .

....and yet you somehow view their advice with doubt ?....:nutter:

How many more people need to tell you that "it doesn't matter" ?

Try the HSM forums, they love to discuss these things ad nasuem.

Just checking with people that have nothing to gain & more experience than me.

Import lathes like those from Schaublin in Switzerland and Leinen in Germany use studs, that is not a problem :) You need to make a stud that fits the tool holder (often they have bushings in the tool holder, Tripan does at least)

That said tool posts should be pinned in addition to the mounting bolt/stud. You need to drill one or more pin holes (perhaps for tapered pins) into the top of of the cross slide to prevent any movement, a single bolt is not sufficient on a lathe of any size/power.

As for toolpost sizing you are far over A size with an X of 42mm. I would suggest Multifix B or Tripan 2xx although those are on the small side, you could also mill down the topslide a few mm's and use C multifix which has a minimum of 45mm. Multifix Toolpost has the multifix dimensions although for a machine of that power etc B is plenty.

L

That said tool posts should be pinned in addition to the mounting bolt/stud. You need to drill one or more pin holes (perhaps for tapered pins) into the top of of the cross slide to prevent any movement, a single bolt is not sufficient on a lathe of any size/power.

L
If ypu do this, whats your plan for cutting a taper on a face? For say, a belt groove.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

i have two multifix tool posts mounted on a 12inch grizzly and a 13 inch jet lathe. both came with close fitting studs. i only had to make t muts.i use the b size on my machines. i do use a spacer under one machine so the tool height is the same for both machines and i can interchange tools without adjusting them. your supplier is probably correct about the stud size once you tighten the tool post down you hardly ever have to move it.its a great feature of the multifix but i would make a good fitting stud just because i can. i have been using multifix for years and i really like them. the only drawback is price.the chinese copies are much more affordable than the original and i have heard they are very good. you wont be making any tool holders like you can for aloris. good luck with your multifix. there are some youtube videos out there check them out.

Yep compound slide. Also the pins should be removable so you can align the tool to a position between the options (or use two pin positions, one for threading and one for everything else)

Back