What's new
What's new

Multifix 40 position tool holder storage

Boat Brat

Aluminum
Hi All,

I’m trying to figure out a nice clean/simple way to store my 40 position tool holders. I see lots of good ideas that fit the dovetail style holders but very little for the 40 position ones. They seem a bit of a pain to make a simple post to secure them on on a rack.

The 2 options I have at the moment are.

2 pins to slide in to the holes on the outside edge, this I think will be a bit fussy to put the holder on.
The other is just a simple rectangular cutout to fit around the base of the whole holder below the tool, simple but will be prone to getting chips stuck in it and not the most secure holder as it will only be about a 1/4 inch deep pocket.

Anyone got a better idea?

Picture of a 40 position For those who are not familiar.
9FE0C805-543C-4CDA-AF37-68FE2A7D5C36.jpg

Thanks.

I use two pins set into pieces of angle iron, welded onto the inside of my lathe cabinet cupboard. A little bit of clearance on the pins is all that's needed, given that the tool holders are fairly precise to start with.

I use a pair of heavy-duty finishing nails hammered into a 19mm-thick board to hold my AXA dovetail holders. Should work for multifix too as long as the nails or pins are installed with reasonable care. Otherwise, I think I'd go with Dian's single-pin idea.

Mike

Toolholders.jpg

I like the one pin idea but if you would prefer to align the tools more straight vertically, you could add a second pin. But that second pin doesn't have to fit the second hole, instead, you add it inside the curve of the 40 angles.

So the first pin holds the toolholder and guarantees it won't fall out. The second one is just for the holder to lean against to align it straight.

This might be useful if the tools have significantly different weight and thus lean at significantly different angle. If it's not the case, the one pin solution is good enough.

This is what I designed and built. I built a prototype for my machine then proceeded to make one for the other two tool room lathes in the shop.I used roll pins to hang the holders on.

Attachments

• 20200608_153728.jpg
    20200608_153728.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 207

Back