What's new
What's new

Multifix information

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
I'm not looking for info as to 40 position posts vs Aloris type, but rather information specific to the tooling available today. There seem to be more than one Chinese version ( maybe all made at the same place ), SPI which is a Swiss company, and AXA and PeWe which claim to be German. The original Swiss company is long gone but also used to be imported with the Enco name. I'm interested in machines and tooling ( primarily woodworking but more recently metalworking ) and looking for comparison advice as well as actual origin. I've enough experience with woodworking machines to know that in Europe, it doesn't take much to call something European. Final assembly, some electricals and stickers and a primarily Chinese machine can be marketed as German, Austrian, Italian, etc. I'm wondering if that could be the case with any of the new Multifix versions.

Not intended as judgement based on origin, just information . Dave

from what I've read here, there is suspicion that you are right about the re-badging for the supposedly euro made stuff, yup that happens a lot now.

folks have recommended buying directly from a company in China called Createtool, and say they are really good to deal with. don't know how the shipping situation is at the moment, anyone have any updates on that?

added in response to post #7, Dave, if you a little searching on youtube there are tests of them, bluing them up, hardness tests all that, just go look.:)

I have the Create Tool version. They claim to have a licensed copy. I am very happy, the quality is high and they will machine you a quality tee-nut and bolt for cheap if you send them a drawing. Most people deal with a woman named Nina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

good experience with creatool here. good prices also. if your interested look up my thread on the multifix.

what makes you think that the original multifix was enco branded?

I have the Create Tool version. They claim to have a licensed copy. I am very happy, the quality is high and they will machine you a quality tee-nut and bolt for cheap if you send them a drawing. Most people deal with a woman named Nina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

licenced by whom?

From what I read, all companies claim to work off the original Multifix drawings and data. Interchanging brands doesn't sound like it works totally though. I'm interested because the design looks complicated to manufacture and tolerances need to be tight. I'm hoping anal machinist types may have looked at the new and old and can detect differences in machining, fit, contact of teeth and splines, etc. Dave

From what I read, all companies claim to work off the original Multifix drawings and data. Interchanging brands doesn't sound like it works totally though. I'm interested because the design looks complicated to manufacture and tolerances need to be tight. I'm hoping anal machinist types may have looked at the new and old and can detect differences in machining, fit, contact of teeth and splines, etc. Dave

To-What-End sir ?

Was a guy on the Emco io groups forum got a PeWetools copy that was shite, toolpost wasn't machined flat.

Worst is the owner said that was normal and refused to do anything about it.

"Quality import" of the worst kind...

Meant anal as a complement. Coming from a woodworking background where 1/32 is tight, I'm really impressed with the ability to work in thousands, let alone tenths. Most woodworkers have little clue as to the quality of their machines, let alone motor, bearing, or cast iron quality. I've been assuming the precision needed to work metal makes people very particular about the quality of their machines and tooling.

The PeWe info is good to know. They market their stuff as German and much improved over the original but don't say where the manufacturing is done. Dave

First, SPI is not a Swiss company. The initials stood for Swiss Precision Instruments and they did sell some Swiss tooling. The headquarters was in Los Angeles. They sold only through distributors.

I bought my Swiss set from Enco back in the 1980's. The post has a sticky foil label that says Enco Switzerland. The label hides one of the two drive screw holes where Minder would have fastened their metal tag. The Enco holders have the normal Swiss stamped numbers plus an acid etched ENCO and the Enco model (E 2 instead of A in my case).

Here are some pictures of Enco and Minder labels. The last is a Klopfer (German) size A post I bought around 1990.

Larry

Aa 2.jpg DSC00003.jpg DSC00006.jpg DSC00221.jpg Klopfer A post.jpg

good experience with creatool here. good prices also. if your interested look up my thread on the multifix.

what makes you think that the original multifix was enco branded?

There was a time, before they were entirely about selling only the cheapest junk of tools, that Enco sold some imports that were not Chinese, including, but not limited to, actual Multifix tool posts and some pretty good quality boring and facing heads from France (forget the makers name right now).

Aside from the Enco branding, the original makers marks were still intact and able to be compared directly to non-Enco stuff, this was pretty well known at the time.

There was a time, before they were entirely about selling only the cheapest junk of tools, that Enco sold some imports that were not Chinese, including, but not limited to, actual Multifix tool posts and some pretty good quality boring and facing heads from France (forget the makers name right now).

Aside from the Enco branding, the original makers marks were still intact and able to be compared directly to non-Enco stuff, this was pretty well known at the time.

Maker's name for the boring and facing head was Gamet. Don't know if that's the same Gamet as the spindle bearing makers.
David

Do the letter sizes of the 40 position holders match up with aloris sizes? Does the 40 position a, b or c size fit the same lathes as aloris a, b or c (cxa), or is a completely different sizing?

Thanks for all the info. My S and B 1024 has an Algra Raopidua A toolpost and as I was looking for info on it, I stumbled on the Multifix. i'm watching for holders for the Algra. Depending on how that goes determines whether I change the whole thing. Dave

First, Enco today is not the same company it was in the '80s. It was bought out, I think by MSC. Back then Enco sold lots of European stuff. Today, they sell only Asian. So the Enco Multi-fix tool holders are re-branded European products. It is only recently Multi-fix tool holders were made in China and my experiences are the same as Forrest's. I have seen perfect compatibility between all makes, Asian or otherwise. Lastly PeWe tools makes excellent products. Their cut-off tool is the best of all Multi-fix makers. Terry, you're passing bad, second hand, unverified info. My personal experience with PeWe is exactly the opposite. I have been using Multi-fix tool holders in size A, B and C for more than 30 years and they conform to Aloris sizing. They are very popular in Europe. Multi-fix is the tool holder system of choice here. One more thing, There are some really slick tool holders made for the Multi-fix system not available in any other system. You should really investigate this and those tool holders appear not to be made yet in Asia.

Back