What's new
What's new

Multifix tool holder

Harri89

Cast Iron
Hello!

I bought sometime ago AXA multifix B tool post and some Holders.
Tool holder size is 25-120, now i need some more of those. There is also size 25-140 available. Is there some significant difference between these?

I have sandvik turning tools. Atleast some of the outside tooling cant be clamped with all 3 screws with the 120 length holder. So what is the purpose for 140 length?

Which style is best for boring bars? Basic style D or H with bottom V slot?

Hello!

I bought sometime ago AXA multifix B tool post and some Holders.
Tool holder size is 25-120, now i need some more of those. There is also size 25-140 available. Is there some significant difference between these?

I have sandvik turning tools. Atleast some of the outside tooling cant be clamped with all 3 screws with the 120 length holder. So what is the purpose for 140 length?

Which style is best for boring bars? Basic style D or H with bottom V slot?

AXA and size B makes no sense. You can have size A, B, C or E and perhaps even more sizes that I am not aware of, but you can't have AXA and B. I'm guessing you have size B. In which case there are several tool holders with different size tool slots. I also use the "A" and "B" sizes and I have them all with some duplicates as well. So, the holder of choice is the one that fits your tool best of course. First you don't need more than two of those screws to hold a typical tool, so in many cases the holder length is not so important, but the slot depth is important. The 25mm size won't hold 1" tool shanks, but the 30mm does. Those tool holders with a "V" on the bottom will hold securely round shank tools like boring bars, also worth having. There is now a lot of choices for the Multi-fix system that were not available in the past. Much more so than many of the other competing systems. I suggest you do a search for Multi-fix B on eBay.de in order to see all that is available. There are several threads in the archive that you should read as well.

AXA is a german manufacturer of "Multifix" copy. The size i have is "B"

Please don't get me wrong, but I have never heard of them nor have I seen their Multi-fix copy. I was just on their web-site and Multi-fix products are not listed anywhere. I live in Germany and have been a Multi-fix user since 1980 and I have never seen an AXA copy.

One other thought though, there appears to me that the "B" size is the most popular and now many firms make tool holders for the "B" size head including Chinese companies. I have some and they work great including a new style cut off tool holder that really works well and they are affordable.

So far as using all 3 screws, you need to mount the tools in the other end of the toolholder when setting up for facing operations, versus the orientation for longitudinal turning. So you might use only 2 screws at a time, but all screws have potential utility.

I first became aware of the AXA brand of MultiFix pattern tool posts and holders about a year ago when I started looking in to this particular system. See: AXA Multifix Schnellwechsel-Stahlhalter Online Shop | Top-Maschinen.de

I think it's fair to say that taking "AXA", a term widely understood as short hand for an Aloris style tool post (and holders) of a particular size, as a brand name for an entirely differ toolpost/holder system is going to be a potential source of confusion.

I wonder if the Aloris type posts are used very little on the continent? Can you comment on this Steve?

David

I first became aware of the AXA brand of MultiFix pattern tool posts and holders about a year ago when I started looking in to this particular system. See: AXA Multifix Schnellwechsel-Stahlhalter Online Shop | Top-Maschinen.de

I think it's fair to say that taking "AXA", a term widely understood as short hand for an Aloris style tool post (and holders) of a particular size, as a brand name for an entirely differ toolpost/holder system is going to be a potential source of confusion.

I wonder if the Aloris type posts are used very little on the continent? Can you comment on this Steve?

David

I can David. The answer is no. The Aloris style tool post is almost non-existent on the continent. I have a Phase II in size B and they are fine, especially the parting tool holder, but they can't hold a candle to the Multi-fix. My primary reason for owning one is to mount a lifting hook to the carriage to change heavy chucks. I have seen some Aloris types in England though, certainly more there than on the continent.

I can David. The answer is no. The Aloris style tool post is almost non-existent on the continent. I have a Phase II in size B and they are fine, especially the parting tool holder, but they can't hold a candle to the Multi-fix. My primary reason for owning one is to mount a lifting hook to the carriage to change heavy chucks. I have seen some Aloris types in England though, certainly more there than on the continent.

Thank you Steve. Given the scarcity of the Aloris type post then on the continent I can see there would not be concern about confusion arising from the use of "AXA" as a brand for another type of post.

David

On the continent, manual lathes and mills are not popular either as a hobby, as it is almost non-existent nor are the old manual machines used in industry. Everything in industry is CNC with only a few exceptions. This is especially true in Germany, where you need a license for everything. Here I am a very strange foreigner indeed. Because of this and the fact that these skills are dying off in the general population, there is no market for manual machines here.

AXA and size B makes no sense. You can have size A, B, C or E and perhaps even more sizes that I am not aware of, but you can't have AXA and B. I'm guessing you have size B. In which case there are several tool holders with different size tool slots. I also use the "A" and "B" sizes and I have them all with some duplicates as well. So, the holder of choice is the one that fits your tool best of course. First you don't need more than two of those screws to hold a typical tool, so in many cases the holder length is not so important, but the slot depth is important. The 25mm size won't hold 1" tool shanks, but the 30mm does. Those tool holders with a "V" on the bottom will hold securely round shank tools like boring bars, also worth having. There is now a lot of choices for the Multi-fix system that were not available in the past. Much more so than many of the other competing systems. I suggest you do a search for Multi-fix B on eBay.de in order to see all that is available. There are several threads in the archive that you should read as well.
Good quality tools and great to deal with.
I detect a size B....
Imminent danger?;)

Axa Produktgruppe Haase

Werkzeughalter und Aufnahmen

On the continent, manual lathes and mills are not popular either as a hobby, as it is almost non-existent nor are the old manual machines used in industry. Everything in industry is CNC with only a few exceptions. This is especially true in Germany, where you need a license for everything. Here I am a very strange foreigner indeed. Because of this and the fact that these skills are dying off in the general population, there is no market for manual machines here.

Not sure this statement is exactly accurate...FPS in Germany for example is now producing a dead copy of the manual Deckel tool room mills in both FP1 and FP3 size...Believe currently there is a waiting list to
get one of these machines...Someone is paying full price ($$$$$) for manual mills in Germany having enough demand that an established company has invested in reproducing a "new Deckel".....

Cheers Ross

Not sure this statement is exactly accurate...FPS in Germany for example is now producing a dead copy of the manual Deckel tool room mills in both FP1 and FP3 size...Believe currently there is a waiting list to
get one of these machines...Someone is paying full price ($$$$$) for manual mills in Germany having enough demand that an established company has invested in reproducing a "new Deckel".....

Cheers Ross

Ross,
I don't think these are being sold in Germany. This is a terrible thing here. The old traditional machinist skills are going away as the skilled generation die off. There is no interest in young folks to acquire them. Industry doesn't demand them. Most German young men aspire to work in offices and never get their hands dirty.

Back