What's new
What's new

Multifix Tool Post Identification

alcro1998

Cast Iron
I purchased a lathe that came with 2 Multifix tool posts. One came with the pointer and retention nut and one without. I recently purchased an Original Multifix tool post and realized that one of the posts that came with the lathe looks like an Original tool post and both do not seem to be Chinese like I initially thought.

It is missing that tag and looks like someone ripped the tag off at some point. It is identical to the original tool post I have and is different than the Chinese one. The lathe came with one tool holder that says "Made In Switzerland".

I was just wondering if anyone who knows more about these posts can verify that the post is in fact an original Multifix. Thanks!

Here are the images of the tool posts!

Multifix Tool Posts - Album on Imgur

I'm far from an expert but I can get you started. The original Minder posts will be engraved. they are the gold standard and were made until 1974. The next version was made by Mivesa, also Swiss and I believe operated by an employee of Minder until 1984. Both versions will be engraved and it appears that yours are not. Nouvelle Mivesa made Multifix but I don't know if they were made in Germany or Switzerland. SRW Amestra followed and were French, and SPI Multiquick are of an origin I don't know. Hahn and Kolb marketed some later versions but again I don't know the origin.

The bottom of your post is a later type. Some later ones also used roll pins rather than little keys in the arms to locate in the slot. I'm not sure that holders engraved Switzerland or Multisuisse are necessarily original. I have some that look original but don't fit as well on my original Minder post. My Multiquick post engages the various holders more easily and the lever moves a little more than the Minder lever. If you have an original holder you may find it fits each post a little differently but I don't see that you have any original posts. Dave

I'm far from an expert but I can get you started. The original Minder posts will be engraved. they are the gold standard and were made until 1974. The next version was made by Mivesa, also Swiss and I believe operated by an employee of Minder until 1984. Both versions will be engraved and it appears that yours are not. Nouvelle Mivesa made Multifix but I don't know if they were made in Germany or Switzerland. SRW Amestra followed and were French, and SPI Multiquick are of an origin I don't know. Hahn and Kolb marketed some later versions but again I don't know the origin.

The bottom of your post is a later type. Some later ones also used roll pins rather than little keys in the arms to locate in the slot. I'm not sure that holders engraved Switzerland or Multisuisse are necessarily original. I have some that look original but don't fit as well on my original Minder post. My Multiquick post engages the various holders more easily and the lever moves a little more than the Minder lever. If you have an original holder you may find it fits each post a little differently but I don't see that you have any original posts. Dave

Thanks for the reply. I was just trying to identify the unmarked one in the middle. The one on the far right is engraved and the one of the far left is for sure a Chinese type one. I thought I saw some of the later versions with the red tags and roll pins and it would seem you agree with that.

I'd also look at the cam action. The old ones open without the cam elongating if you know what I mean. some of the clones open the cam more, maybe to allow for some variation in the holder splines. Dave

if you really want to research this, maybe try talking to peter wendlandt @ pewe-tools. no idea how good his english is.

From the state of them in the photos, they are old, dirty and probably worn. The original manufacturer is irrelevant, they aren't Renaisance masterpieces that will end up on display in a museum of fine art after careful conservation, they are toolposts.

If they work, use them, if they don't work get some replacements from Create or Pewe.

Back