What's new
What's new

My CMM delivered by an ice cream truck!!!

drcoelho

Stainless
OK, so my riggers confirmed they received my CMM, soon to be delivered to my shop, BUT they noted concern as the CMM was delivered in a refrigerated truck that along with my CMM had a load of ice cream in it!!!

This is yet another major bofoo from the LTL industry, can't believe it.

Anyway, this is a small (Helmel) CMM but with an upgraded surface plate, grade AA. Anyone care to comment on whether the CMM could be damaged by being trucked around in sub-zero temperatures?

Possibly circuit board damage due to differing CTE's of board and components? Maybe shifting of machine elements for the same reason (granite is closer to Al than steel on thermal expansion/contraction).

But yeah, I'd be more worried about water damage.

I've never experienced that level of F'-uppery when having something shipped. Must have taken a real jenious [sic] to figure that routing out...

OK, so my riggers confirmed they received my CMM, soon to be delivered to my shop, BUT they noted concern as the CMM was delivered in a refrigerated truck that along with my CMM had a load of ice cream in it!!!

This is yet another major bofoo from the LTL industry, can't believe it.

Anyway, this is a small (Helmel) CMM but with an upgraded surface plate, grade AA. Anyone care to comment on whether the CMM could be damaged by being trucked around in sub-zero temperatures?

How do you figure that is a "major bofoo from the LTL industry"? Refrigerated service cost extra and many do not offer it. Some one paid extra for this and you blame the carrier?

Wherever it was shipped from was probably watching the news that the entire state of California was burning so much that the smoke was getting to New York City. They must have figgured a good way to keep the machine from melting around all that fire was to put it in a refer truck. ;)

How do you figure that is a "major bofoo from the LTL industry"? Refrigerated service cost extra and many do not offer it. Some one paid extra for this and you blame the carrier?

Of course the carrier is to blame for putting machinery in a freezer truck. If someone paid for a refrigerated truck then make the separate run in the refrigerated truck and deliver machinery at room temperature.

It's like getting a happy ending at a funeral. Yes it costs more, but it's not what anybody wanted or needed.

Possibly circuit board damage due to differing CTE's of board and components? Maybe shifting of machine elements for the same reason (granite is closer to Al than steel on thermal expansion/contraction).

But yeah, I'd be more worried about water damage.

I've never experienced that level of F'-uppery when having something shipped. Must have taken a real jenious [sic] to figure that routing out...

shifting might occur, but because granite has a substantially lower cte than steel.

That's a good point, guess the positive side is I got a really good deal on shipping costs.....

It all depends on how it was packaged, if it was wrapped in plastic, I wouldn't expect it to get any damage at all, there will be little to no condensation if you unwrap it AFTER it letting it warm up, and even if there is, leave it sitting, put some fans blowing air on it, doesn't need to be warmed up air, just moving air, and let it warm up to room temp and dry off for a day or two before you switch it on, and don't ventilate the room while doing that, it will bring in extra warm air containing more moisture, close the doors and windows while it is warming up

plenty of electronics gets shipped during winters all around the world in non hermetic packaging, yet you don't hear about stuff blowing up as soon as its plugged in - that happens only when people can't contain their excitement and turn it on as soon as it's out of the box

and the little I do know about CMMs is that even if something shifts in the structure, it isn't a huge problem because the thing has to be regularly calibrated with a standard anyway, which will take care of any shifts with compensation values in the software

I talked to Helmel, not too much concern for the electronics. Biggest concern is rust on the ways, they only applied oil to the ways. Given the sensitivity of this machine, any rust would be a threat to accuracy.....

Back