My customer just released a video showing off the robot hand I've been sweating over - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Superb is all I can come up with.

Thank you Marcus

2. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a 5th grade science project why would you want to show that off...ok I'm just jealous

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's pretty cool Marcus!

They did the same mistake that so many have done before in design though.

There isn't a human hand out there that has a flat palm with fingers off it!

At some point, if they want to duplicate the operations of the human hand, they are gonna have to take a little better look at the structures that allow the hand to move the way it does!

5. Likes SRT Mike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

very cool! I read something interesting in a journal recently about how they're working on adding force feedback sensors to prosthetic hands and connecting those to the correct nerves in the patients arm. Seems that a big part of dexterity is knowing how tightly you're holding something.

7. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fascinating!

I was really impressed when I viewed the second video. With the glove the articulation seemed biological, perhaps natural, almost creepy. It was very cool to watch.

Good for you. What was that engineering company again? Are they publicly traded?

Best Regards,
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excellent work implex,

Lot's of bits and pcs. and possibly many sprung details working in tandem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vonleyser View Post
    Working yourself right out of a job, let’s build millions & give it enough brain cells to out think a machinist. Maybe we can make it work cheaper than the Chinese ��
    spoken like someone that cant see beyond his own nose...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Outstanding work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Full on admiration, Marcus.

13. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't it amazing that both Robots and Aliens are modeled after the human form.

Hmm Hu man God Mind....

Simple man, seeking perfection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Awesome combination of technical expertise executed well. That alone is something most of us would love to be able to do as any where near as well as you did. Beyond that, you did a major amount of design work. Even more impressive to combine remarkable technical ability and creative excellence.

A very well deserved “Well Done,” Marcus. And a long distance pat on the back.

Hear! Hear! Echoing in the background.

Denis

16. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Technology is to be lauded

ethics remain to be seen (not in the hands of anyone here)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quite an achievement, I’ve a feeling that you may be in demand in the not to distant, very smooth, the kind of thing most would aspire to and fail ( least I would but I tend to be painfully honest, ) I suppose with new materials strength and lightness will gain, cost reduce, thinking composites, I started laughing when I remembered the “Howard’s hand” episode of the Big Bang, that got me laughing, so you only needed the hand, funny
    The video showed what I would consider the petite version, quite small and delicate, I suppose building a bigger one “ man hand” would have rendered a much easier time, seeing that was quite impressive, well built
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    Quite an achievement, I’ve a feeling that you may be in demand in the not to distant, very smooth, the kind of thing most would aspire to and fail ( least I would but I tend to be painfully honest, ) I suppose with new materials strength and lightness will gain, cost reduce, thinking composites, I started laughing when I remembered the “Howard’s hand” episode of the Big Bang, that got me laughing, so you only needed the hand, funny
    The video showed what I would consider the petite version, quite small and delicate, I suppose building a bigger one “ man hand” would have rendered a much easier time, seeing that was quite impressive, well built
    Mark

They will have us!

20. Likes boslab liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a fantastic job. It is the kind of project that most of us only dream about working on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for sharing that Marcus, I find your posts inspiring as well as informative. It goes without saying that you could have found easier ways of making a living but it appears that you have made the decision to work on things that are the most rewarding for you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vonleyser View Post
    Working yourself right out of a job, let’s build millions & give it enough brain cells to out think a machinist. Maybe we can make it work cheaper than the Chinese ��
    and they don't cost food or energy when they are not producing.
    I'm surprised God did not invent them. Sure beats Humans.

Oh, and they don't need male and female/boys and girls so all the confusion and now controversy eliminated. They can go to work from day one so not wasting everybody's time till they are 20 or so.

Agree it is a wonder of technology and engineering. They would be good for mining operations on Mars or the Moon, even on the ocean floor... likely make good truck drivers or soldiers.

Oh, they really don't need anything so no need for truck drivers, soldiers, miners, or even farmers once humans are eliminated.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does it have an camera on the end of it's finger? My dad was a mechanic and that's where he wanted one of his eyeballs

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi SBAER:
    You wrote:
    "It goes without saying that you could have found easier ways of making a living but it appears that you have made the decision to work on things that are the most rewarding for you."

Yeah, I used to be a dentist and it was a career I just HATED.
    Making things is so much more fun, and is far more challenging too.

The money, the status; these are mildly nice things but they are no substitutes for happiness, and if you're miserable in your work, you'll be miserable in your life.
    So I started my little toy machine shop when I quit dentistry in 1998 and never looked back.
    (I was trained and worked for a decade as a mold maker before dentistry so I didn't have to start the machine shop from square one)

When my former colleagues drive by in their Ferrarris, I can still be mildly envious, but when they get messily divorced because they hate their lives so much they cannot be decent marriage partners, I stop lusting after their show-off wheels pretty quick.

Compared to digging around in the slimy, smelly hole, this is pretty sweet...I get to have a nice hobby, I get to exercise my brain, and I still get paid for it!

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my experience people find it hard to sacrifice the money and status entailed in choosing a career path based on doing what makes them happy. It may be that a lot of people don't actually have or know of an activity that they just don't get bored of.
    As my company has grown I find I have to spend too much with people that are not really engaged with their work, this brings me down. I have come to the realization that having the opportunity to spend time with people who are really passionate about what they are doing is worth more to me than an increase in my net worth.
    Once you have a wife, a house,a car and a Deckel single lip tool grinder what else do you really need?

Stan