What's new
What's new

Is my die a cutter or rethreader?

birdus

Plastic
How do I tell the difference between a cutting die and a rethreading die? My guess is that the cutter has a taper at the initial teeth to help it get started, but I don't know.

Thanks,
Jay

I don't think it's an actual law, but aren't rethreading dies usually hex as opposed to round?

Someone else told me that, too, but after a quick search, I found that at least some people claim it's not set in stone (i.e., that there are some cutting/threading dies that are hex). In any event, it would be nice to know what the technical difference is, especially if the shape difference isn't an absolute.

The lowest one of these is a rethreader. The other two are cutting dies. Look closely at the edges, a cutting die typically has a "hook" to it, which can be seen in the photo. The rethreading die is always blunt so as to re-form distorted threads, and not cut them, also visible in the photo.

Outside shape has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH which type it is

There MIGHT be round rethreading dies made, but I could not find any. Both MSC and McM list them specifically as "Hex" rethreading dies. So do several US manufacturers but none that I could find list round ones. Seems kind of odd but true---I guess the assumption is all you need ( an may have readily available) is a wrench to turn the thread repair die.

Denis

Imagine that you need to clean up the threads on a stud, such as a cylinder head stud. Other studs will prevent a normal die holder turning, hence having a hex outside for a spanner.

All of my rethreading dies are made with the same size hex as the mating nut for that thread size. For instance, a 3/8-16 or 3/8-24 rethreading die will fit a 9/16 wrench.
The hex-shape cutting dies will all have the same size hex (within their capacity) and fit a die stock made by the tap and die maker.

Larry

Back