What's new
What's new

My famous fixture? Mitee Bite

david n

Diamond
I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

Fix.jpg

Now I just saw it again:

http://dm.ctemag.com/magazines/flipbook-March-2020/flipbook/index.html?page=8

Here's a local shop that I have never even had contact with:

https://www.fabfourinc.com/jigs-fixtures

It's not even their fixture..............:willy_nilly:

Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................:nutter:

That is amazing that someone would use a pic of someone else's tool in their own advertisement! :ack2:

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'll be honest, I stole my header bar for my web site from google images, but that is just brushed stainless, so very generic.

Now you see why so many people add watermarks to their pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We spend a lot of effort on nice photography of our products. Its a shame we have to distort it with our MariTool watermark. But when we first started in 2007 literally every damn picture we took was on alibaba, stolen. Watermark took care of that real quick.

Send them a letter demanding they take it down or pay for its use. It really is yours. You own the right to use it.

This is my motorcycle, there is no doubt in my mind that it is mine, little things like the rare spotlights, missing tool box lock, the ugly color they painted it and many more. I have it and the rug it sits on and have for several years now but I have seen this pic and others in for sale ads here and there, mostly craigslist. Like you say it is odd to see something that is uniquely yours pop up in other peoples ads and such.

phpnqwvrs_6d9db060b050c61eab3a97a14d8f4edd7a5e5eda.jpg

Once it appears on the internet, people will steal it unless it's watermarked.

I've designed several things for one of my hobbies, JetSkis. For most things, I've figured that the market was too small, or I didn't have time to manufacture the item, or the cost would be much higher than the market would bear. In those cases, I've posted pictures and even given dimensions to people so they could build their own.

I've gone so far as to offer to rent one tool I designed. I have people send me a deposit that would cover the selling price, then refund their money when they return it. People have no idea who much it takes to build an item one at a time in a home shop.

I would think about walking into that local shop as a "customer" who needed a fixture like the one on their web page. And ask some really deep questions about it and how they made it. Might be fun.

Then give them an envelop with a pristine print of it and a bill for your photographic services. Make it a big one. Worst case; you can claim it as a bad debt on your taxes.

I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

View attachment 282773

Now I just saw it again:

http://dm.ctemag.com/magazines/flipbook-March-2020/flipbook/index.html?page=8

Here's a local shop that I have never even had contact with:

https://www.fabfourinc.com/jigs-fixtures

Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................:nutter:

This is my motorcycle, there is no doubt in my mind that it is mine, little things like the rare spotlights, missing tool box lock, the ugly color they painted it and many more. I have it and the rug it sits on and have for several years now but I have seen this pic and others in for sale ads here and there, mostly craigslist. Like you say it is odd to see something that is uniquely yours pop up in other peoples ads and such.

View attachment 282798

With CL you can bet it's just scammers hoping for a bite (maybe of you, there's been some real psychos who've preyed on prospective buyers).

View attachment 282773

Now I just saw it again:

HEY!! That's mine! Where'ju find that?!?! :)

View attachment 282798

First, I have a reproduction tool box like yours on my 41 Army Indian. A fellow in Collinsville, IL had it made and told me to get a lock from a key shop. If yours is the same as mine, there should be no problem.

Second, when I worked in aerospace, I developed a system to read the speed of a spinning gyro wheel in a sealed can. I would tape record the noise from the bearings and the tiny amount of vibration from the inevitable unbalance with a contact microphone, then play it back with what now is called a Q multiplier that filtered out the noise and responded to the unbalance vibration. By taking multiple readings at different frequencies, I could plot the rundown curve of the wheel.

A fellow worker who was there through the development but had no part in it, later was job hunting and showed them a picture of my setup claiming it as his own. He told me about how impressed the people were and could not understand why I didn't appreciate having my credit stolen.

Bill

First, I have a reproduction tool box like yours on my 41 Army Indian. A fellow in Collinsville, IL had it made and told me to get a lock from a key shop. If yours is the same as mine, there should be no problem.

Bill

I have most of the stuff to put it back as new except the time, we are moving our machine shop from Ca to Idaho so the old girl is just going to have to wait a bit more. I just find it odd that people are trying to sell my bike when they don't possess it.
I am always amazed to see the lengths folks will go to in order to decieve others who likely could'nt give a shit less anyhow.

View attachment 282798

One reason that your bike is so popular is that it's painted "Retail Red". I worked for two of the Indian dealers in Chicago after the company went out of business. They were selling used Indians and New British bikes to keep the lights on.

Without exception, every Indian bike that they repainted for sale was red. They called it retail red because it was a guaranteed sale. LOL.

I have most of the stuff to put it back as new except the time, we are moving our machine shop from Ca to Idaho so the old girl is just going to have to wait a bit more. I just find it odd that people are trying to sell my bike when they don't possess it.
I am always amazed to see the lengths folks will go to in order to decieve others who likely could'nt give a shit less anyhow.

What ??? me is that from your initial post, it sounds like you don't actually know this picture.
Like this is NOT one that you have taken and posted somewhere before.
???

So - are how did this person get the pic?

Where would your bike have been - setting on that rug - and someone other than you taking the pic?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

What ??? me is that from your initial post, it sounds like you don't actually know this picture.
Like this is NOT one that you have taken and posted somewhere before.
???

So - are how did this person get the pic?

Where would your bike have been - setting on that rug - and someone other than you taking the pic?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

When I bought the bike it was sitting on that very rug, I imagine the guy I bought it from took that pic and posted it somewhere. I saw the same pic in a portland craigslist ad a few weeks back offered for sale ( $18,000, which wouldn't buy the engine ) with some other Indian parts. As I plan to restore it one day soon I am always looking on ebay/craigslist and others for bits and pieces that are better than mine, as a result I keep finding my bike "for sale" and for the right price it would be but the folks selling it don't possess it.

One reason that your bike is so popular is that it's painted "Retail Red". I worked for two of the Indian dealers in Chicago after the company went out of business. They were selling used Indians and New British bikes to keep the lights on.

Without exception, every Indian bike that they repainted for sale was red. They called it retail red because it was a guaranteed sale. LOL.

"Indian red" is my favorite color of the day, this one is kind of a pinky metalic red, it looks Ok inside but in my opinion is quite ugly.

IMG_7185.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7184.jpg
    IMG_7184.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 59
I don't know how I got this upside down one again and don't seem to be able to get rid of it.
Anyhow if you google search the pic of the bike on the rug now and again you will find it for sale here and there.
if you search "1941 Indian Four" it will pop up and is the only one I have seen that color but there were only a few hundred made to start with.

Back