My famous fixture? Mitee Bite
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My famous fixture? Mitee Bite

I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

fix.jpg

Now I just saw it again:

http://dm.ctemag.com/magazines/flipbook-March-2020/flipbook/index.html?page=8

Here's a local shop that I have never even had contact with:

https://www.fabfourinc.com/jigs-fixtures

It's not even their fixture..............

Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting.
    I see some of my photos posted here on PM showing up all over too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is amazing that someone would use a pic of someone else's tool in their own advertisement!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

4. Likes PegroProX440, TheOldCar, yardbird liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll be honest, I stole my header bar for my web site from google images, but that is just brushed stainless, so very generic.

Now you see why so many people add watermarks to their pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We spend a lot of effort on nice photography of our products. Its a shame we have to distort it with our MariTool watermark. But when we first started in 2007 literally every damn picture we took was on alibaba, stolen. Watermark took care of that real quick.

7. Likes PegroProX440, mountie, Hopefuldave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    That is amazing that someone would use a pic of someone else's tool in their own advertisement!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yeah, that gave me a chuckle........................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Send them a letter demanding they take it down or pay for its use. It really is yours. You own the right to use it.

10. Likes Steven-Canada, Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is my motorcycle, there is no doubt in my mind that it is mine, little things like the rare spotlights, missing tool box lock, the ugly color they painted it and many more. I have it and the rug it sits on and have for several years now but I have seen this pic and others in for sale ads here and there, mostly craigslist. Like you say it is odd to see something that is uniquely yours pop up in other peoples ads and such.

phpnqwvrs_6d9db060b050c61eab3a97a14d8f4edd7a5e5eda.jpg

12. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

[ATTACH=CONFIG]282773[/ATTACH

Now I just saw it again:

Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................
    Scope rings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once it appears on the internet, people will steal it unless it's watermarked.

I've designed several things for one of my hobbies, JetSkis. For most things, I've figured that the market was too small, or I didn't have time to manufacture the item, or the cost would be much higher than the market would bear. In those cases, I've posted pictures and even given dimensions to people so they could build their own.

I've gone so far as to offer to rent one tool I designed. I have people send me a deposit that would cover the selling price, then refund their money when they return it. People have no idea who much it takes to build an item one at a time in a home shop.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would think about walking into that local shop as a "customer" who needed a fixture like the one on their web page. And ask some really deep questions about it and how they made it. Might be fun.

Then give them an envelop with a pristine print of it and a bill for your photographic services. Make it a big one. Worst case; you can claim it as a bad debt on your taxes.

fix.jpg

Now I just saw it again:

16. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    This is my motorcycle, there is no doubt in my mind that it is mine, little things like the rare spotlights, missing tool box lock, the ugly color they painted it and many more. I have it and the rug it sits on and have for several years now but I have seen this pic and others in for sale ads here and there, mostly craigslist. Like you say it is odd to see something that is uniquely yours pop up in other peoples ads and such.

With CL you can bet it's just scammers hoping for a bite (maybe of you, there's been some real psychos who've preyed on prospective buyers).

18. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I came across this one of mine - it must have been robbed from a post i did on this site 10+ years ago.
    I emailed the site owner saying *how rude* and never even got a reply.
    Ignorant Dick!
    Understanding Machining with a Vertical Machining Center & 4th Axis

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

fix.jpg

Now I just saw it again:

HEY!! That's mine! Where'ju find that?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First, I have a reproduction tool box like yours on my 41 Army Indian. A fellow in Collinsville, IL had it made and told me to get a lock from a key shop. If yours is the same as mine, there should be no problem.

Second, when I worked in aerospace, I developed a system to read the speed of a spinning gyro wheel in a sealed can. I would tape record the noise from the bearings and the tiny amount of vibration from the inevitable unbalance with a contact microphone, then play it back with what now is called a Q multiplier that filtered out the noise and responded to the unbalance vibration. By taking multiple readings at different frequencies, I could plot the rundown curve of the wheel.

A fellow worker who was there through the development but had no part in it, later was job hunting and showed them a picture of my setup claiming it as his own. He told me about how impressed the people were and could not understand why I didn't appreciate having my credit stolen.

Bill

22. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    First, I have a reproduction tool box like yours on my 41 Army Indian. A fellow in Collinsville, IL had it made and told me to get a lock from a key shop. If yours is the same as mine, there should be no problem.

Bill
    I have most of the stuff to put it back as new except the time, we are moving our machine shop from Ca to Idaho so the old girl is just going to have to wait a bit more. I just find it odd that people are trying to sell my bike when they don't possess it.
    I am always amazed to see the lengths folks will go to in order to decieve others who likely could'nt give a shit less anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One reason that your bike is so popular is that it's painted "Retail Red". I worked for two of the Indian dealers in Chicago after the company went out of business. They were selling used Indians and New British bikes to keep the lights on.

Without exception, every Indian bike that they repainted for sale was red. They called it retail red because it was a guaranteed sale. LOL.

25. Likes yardbird, Hopefuldave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have most of the stuff to put it back as new except the time, we are moving our machine shop from Ca to Idaho so the old girl is just going to have to wait a bit more. I just find it odd that people are trying to sell my bike when they don't possess it.
    I am always amazed to see the lengths folks will go to in order to decieve others who likely could'nt give a shit less anyhow.
    What ??? me is that from your initial post, it sounds like you don't actually know this picture.
    Like this is NOT one that you have taken and posted somewhere before.
    ???

So - are how did this person get the pic?

Where would your bike have been - setting on that rug - and someone other than you taking the pic?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    What ??? me is that from your initial post, it sounds like you don't actually know this picture.
    Like this is NOT one that you have taken and posted somewhere before.
    ???

So - are how did this person get the pic?

Where would your bike have been - setting on that rug - and someone other than you taking the pic?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    When I bought the bike it was sitting on that very rug, I imagine the guy I bought it from took that pic and posted it somewhere. I saw the same pic in a portland craigslist ad a few weeks back offered for sale ( $18,000, which wouldn't buy the engine ) with some other Indian parts. As I plan to restore it one day soon I am always looking on ebay/craigslist and others for bits and pieces that are better than mine, as a result I keep finding my bike "for sale" and for the right price it would be but the folks selling it don't possess it.

28. Likes Ox, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    One reason that your bike is so popular is that it's painted "Retail Red". I worked for two of the Indian dealers in Chicago after the company went out of business. They were selling used Indians and New British bikes to keep the lights on.

Without exception, every Indian bike that they repainted for sale was red. They called it retail red because it was a guaranteed sale. LOL.
    "Indian red" is my favorite color of the day, this one is kind of a pinky metalic red, it looks Ok inside but in my opinion is quite ugly.

img_7185.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_7184.jpg