My famous fixture? Mitee Bite
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    5,881
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1910
    Likes (Received)
    5440

    Default My famous fixture? Mitee Bite

    I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

    fix.jpg


    Now I just saw it again:

    http://dm.ctemag.com/magazines/flipbook-March-2020/flipbook/index.html?page=8

    Here's a local shop that I have never even had contact with:

    https://www.fabfourinc.com/jigs-fixtures

    It's not even their fixture..............

    Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    13,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2398
    Likes (Received)
    3641

    Default

    Interesting.
    I see some of my photos posted here on PM showing up all over too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    26,006
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6298
    Likes (Received)
    8500

    Default

    That is amazing that someone would use a pic of someone else's tool in their own advertisement!


    -----------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  4. Likes PegroProX440, TheOldCar, yardbird liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    217

    Default

    I'll be honest, I stole my header bar for my web site from google images, but that is just brushed stainless, so very generic.

    Now you see why so many people add watermarks to their pictures.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    216
    Likes (Received)
    1758

    Default

    We spend a lot of effort on nice photography of our products. Its a shame we have to distort it with our MariTool watermark. But when we first started in 2007 literally every damn picture we took was on alibaba, stolen. Watermark took care of that real quick.

  7. Likes PegroProX440, mountie, Hopefuldave liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    5,881
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1910
    Likes (Received)
    5440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    That is amazing that someone would use a pic of someone else's tool in their own advertisement!


    -----------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yeah, that gave me a chuckle........................

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,614
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    374
    Likes (Received)
    303

    Default

    Send them a letter demanding they take it down or pay for its use. It really is yours. You own the right to use it.

  10. Likes Steven-Canada, Hopefuldave liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    This is my motorcycle, there is no doubt in my mind that it is mine, little things like the rare spotlights, missing tool box lock, the ugly color they painted it and many more. I have it and the rug it sits on and have for several years now but I have seen this pic and others in for sale ads here and there, mostly craigslist. Like you say it is odd to see something that is uniquely yours pop up in other peoples ads and such.


    phpnqwvrs_6d9db060b050c61eab3a97a14d8f4edd7a5e5eda.jpg

  12. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brusly, LA
    Posts
    781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]282773[/ATTACH

    Now I just saw it again:

    http://dm.ctemag.com/magazines/flipbook-March-2020/flipbook/index.html?page=8

    Here's a local shop that I have never even had contact with:

    https://www.fabfourinc.com/jigs-fixtures

    It's not even their fixture..............

    Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................
    Scope rings?

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    1,559
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    560
    Likes (Received)
    799

    Default

    Once it appears on the internet, people will steal it unless it's watermarked.

    I've designed several things for one of my hobbies, JetSkis. For most things, I've figured that the market was too small, or I didn't have time to manufacture the item, or the cost would be much higher than the market would bear. In those cases, I've posted pictures and even given dimensions to people so they could build their own.

    I've gone so far as to offer to rent one tool I designed. I have people send me a deposit that would cover the selling price, then refund their money when they return it. People have no idea who much it takes to build an item one at a time in a home shop.

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    5,337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    187
    Likes (Received)
    1731

    Default

    I would think about walking into that local shop as a "customer" who needed a fixture like the one on their web page. And ask some really deep questions about it and how they made it. Might be fun.

    Then give them an envelop with a pristine print of it and a bill for your photographic services. Make it a big one. Worst case; you can claim it as a bad debt on your taxes.



    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

    fix.jpg


    Now I just saw it again:

    http://dm.ctemag.com/magazines/flipbook-March-2020/flipbook/index.html?page=8

    Here's a local shop that I have never even had contact with:

    https://www.fabfourinc.com/jigs-fixtures

    It's not even their fixture..............

    Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................

  16. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
  17. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2126
    Likes (Received)
    6118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    This is my motorcycle, there is no doubt in my mind that it is mine, little things like the rare spotlights, missing tool box lock, the ugly color they painted it and many more. I have it and the rug it sits on and have for several years now but I have seen this pic and others in for sale ads here and there, mostly craigslist. Like you say it is odd to see something that is uniquely yours pop up in other peoples ads and such.


    phpnqwvrs_6d9db060b050c61eab3a97a14d8f4edd7a5e5eda.jpg
    With CL you can bet it's just scammers hoping for a bite (maybe of you, there's been some real psychos who've preyed on prospective buyers).

  18. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2287
    Likes (Received)
    1540

    Default

    I came across this one of mine - it must have been robbed from a post i did on this site 10+ years ago.
    I emailed the site owner saying *how rude* and never even got a reply.
    Ignorant Dick!
    Understanding Machining with a Vertical Machining Center & 4th Axis

  20. #14
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

    fix.jpg


    Now I just saw it again:

    It's not even their fixture..............

    Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................
    HEY!! That's mine! Where'ju find that?!?!

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,553
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1914
    Likes (Received)
    3609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    This is my motorcycle, there is no doubt in my mind that it is mine, little things like the rare spotlights, missing tool box lock, the ugly color they painted it and many more. I have it and the rug it sits on and have for several years now but I have seen this pic and others in for sale ads here and there, mostly craigslist. Like you say it is odd to see something that is uniquely yours pop up in other peoples ads and such.


    phpnqwvrs_6d9db060b050c61eab3a97a14d8f4edd7a5e5eda.jpg
    First, I have a reproduction tool box like yours on my 41 Army Indian. A fellow in Collinsville, IL had it made and told me to get a lock from a key shop. If yours is the same as mine, there should be no problem.

    Second, when I worked in aerospace, I developed a system to read the speed of a spinning gyro wheel in a sealed can. I would tape record the noise from the bearings and the tiny amount of vibration from the inevitable unbalance with a contact microphone, then play it back with what now is called a Q multiplier that filtered out the noise and responded to the unbalance vibration. By taking multiple readings at different frequencies, I could plot the rundown curve of the wheel.

    A fellow worker who was there through the development but had no part in it, later was job hunting and showed them a picture of my setup claiming it as his own. He told me about how impressed the people were and could not understand why I didn't appreciate having my credit stolen.

    Bill

  22. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
  23. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    First, I have a reproduction tool box like yours on my 41 Army Indian. A fellow in Collinsville, IL had it made and told me to get a lock from a key shop. If yours is the same as mine, there should be no problem.

    Bill
    I have most of the stuff to put it back as new except the time, we are moving our machine shop from Ca to Idaho so the old girl is just going to have to wait a bit more. I just find it odd that people are trying to sell my bike when they don't possess it.
    I am always amazed to see the lengths folks will go to in order to decieve others who likely could'nt give a shit less anyhow.

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sacramento County, California
    Posts
    3,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2454
    Likes (Received)
    1389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    This is my motorcycle, there is no doubt in my mind that it is mine, little things like the rare spotlights, missing tool box lock, the ugly color they painted it and many more. I have it and the rug it sits on and have for several years now but I have seen this pic and others in for sale ads here and there, mostly craigslist. Like you say it is odd to see something that is uniquely yours pop up in other peoples ads and such.


    phpnqwvrs_6d9db060b050c61eab3a97a14d8f4edd7a5e5eda.jpg

    One reason that your bike is so popular is that it's painted "Retail Red". I worked for two of the Indian dealers in Chicago after the company went out of business. They were selling used Indians and New British bikes to keep the lights on.

    Without exception, every Indian bike that they repainted for sale was red. They called it retail red because it was a guaranteed sale. LOL.

  25. Likes yardbird, Hopefuldave liked this post
  26. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    26,006
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6298
    Likes (Received)
    8500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    I have most of the stuff to put it back as new except the time, we are moving our machine shop from Ca to Idaho so the old girl is just going to have to wait a bit more. I just find it odd that people are trying to sell my bike when they don't possess it.
    I am always amazed to see the lengths folks will go to in order to decieve others who likely could'nt give a shit less anyhow.
    What ??? me is that from your initial post, it sounds like you don't actually know this picture.
    Like this is NOT one that you have taken and posted somewhere before.
    ???

    So - are how did this person get the pic?

    Where would your bike have been - setting on that rug - and someone other than you taking the pic?


    ----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  27. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    What ??? me is that from your initial post, it sounds like you don't actually know this picture.
    Like this is NOT one that you have taken and posted somewhere before.
    ???

    So - are how did this person get the pic?

    Where would your bike have been - setting on that rug - and someone other than you taking the pic?


    ----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    When I bought the bike it was sitting on that very rug, I imagine the guy I bought it from took that pic and posted it somewhere. I saw the same pic in a portland craigslist ad a few weeks back offered for sale ( $18,000, which wouldn't buy the engine ) with some other Indian parts. As I plan to restore it one day soon I am always looking on ebay/craigslist and others for bits and pieces that are better than mine, as a result I keep finding my bike "for sale" and for the right price it would be but the folks selling it don't possess it.

  28. Likes Ox, Bobw liked this post
  29. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    One reason that your bike is so popular is that it's painted "Retail Red". I worked for two of the Indian dealers in Chicago after the company went out of business. They were selling used Indians and New British bikes to keep the lights on.

    Without exception, every Indian bike that they repainted for sale was red. They called it retail red because it was a guaranteed sale. LOL.
    "Indian red" is my favorite color of the day, this one is kind of a pinky metalic red, it looks Ok inside but in my opinion is quite ugly.

    img_7185.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_7184.jpg  


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •