Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know how I got this upside down one again and don't seem to be able to get rid of it.
    Anyhow if you google search the pic of the bike on the rug now and again you will find it for sale here and there.
    if you search "1941 Indian Four" it will pop up and is the only one I have seen that color but there were only a few hundred made to start with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    One reason that your bike is so popular is that it's painted "Retail Red". I worked for two of the Indian dealers in Chicago after the company went out of business. They were selling used Indians and New British bikes to keep the lights on.

Without exception, every Indian bike that they repainted for sale was red. They called it retail red because it was a guaranteed sale. LOL.
    That is funny because people associate red with heat, so it must be a hot bike, but actually red is the lowest visible color temperature and blue and violet are the highest, but people associate blue with cold. A fellow who worked for a used car lot called it "loser blue". I think the red denotes heat because that is the first color emitted as something heats up.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    That is funny because people associate red with heat, so it must be a hot bike, but actually red is the lowest visible color temperature and blue and violet are the highest, but people associate blue with cold. A fellow who worked for a used car lot called it "loser blue". I think the red denotes heat because that is the first color emitted as something heats up.

Bill

I have [beautiful for sure] blue eyes.

A wolf has red eyes. (my daughter will testify)

You would rather look into mine than his....
    Just sayin'....

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

4. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I have now seen this pic of a fixture I built 10 years ago or so at least a coupla dozens times in different trade rags, advertisments, and shop web sites...............

Attachment 282773

Now I just saw it again:

http://dm.ctemag.com/magazines/flipbook-March-2020/flipbook/index.html?page=8

Here's a local shop that I have never even had contact with:

https://www.fabfourinc.com/jigs-fixtures

It's not even their fixture..............

Not that it's all that "cool", I just find it odd that the pic has really made the rounds.................................
    See. You shoulda engraved your name on the fixture! Y'all could be famous by now!

6. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, when you stick a piece of steel in a furnace/fire and wait, the FIRST visible color that it will glow is RED. Most blacksmiths stopped heating at that point and commenced hammering. So really hot is RED hot in many, many minds.

The sun also looks RED and it is hot, really hot. There's a bunch of physics involved there. Flames look RED unless you look closer. Etc.

Ice looks BLUE.

Common sense vs. reality.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here it is for sale December of 2019, I have possesed it for 4 or more years now.

Motorcycles - 1941 Indian Four

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The new Injuns aint any cheaper!

Was browsing at dealership in Illinois on our way west at New Years - while my chum was picking up a '19 clearance ATV - and the new ones look nice too - if you're into that stuff, but boy - the prices. ESPECIALLY for the 3 wheeler in the front row!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    The new Injuns aint any cheaper!

Was browsing at dealership in Illinois on our way west at New Years - while my chum was picking up a '19 clearance ATV - and the new ones look nice too - if you're into that stuff, but boy - the prices. ESPECIALLY for the 3 wheeler in the front row!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    You can't buy a rebuildable core engine for an Indian Four for 30K and a motorcycle you can ride is 65K and up, a real nice restored one will get you close to 95K. They are kinda rare.

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=EPAIII;3515269]
    The sun also looks RED and it is hot, really hot. There's a bunch of physics involved there. Flames look RED unless you look closer. Etc.

Ice looks BLUE. {/QUOTE]

The sun looks yellow when not viewed through a red filter. It also contains a lot of blue and UV but we don't notice it because it is mixed with all the rest.

Someone defined "common sense" as a set of prejudices acquired before the age of 18.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...and allow me to continue this very interesting thread hijack just a little further.

It is interesting that Frank Lloyd Wright chose the colour "Cherokee Red" as his favourite and used it in his personal branding, business logo, and featured it on most of his famous projects.

I've read that it is also the colour of iron ore. Regardless of that, the colour red does have distinct lineage to the Cherokee people as this link illustrates:

Native American Antiquity: Clans of the Cherokee, part 6 -- The Paint Clan

FLW and Indian motorcycles were both waxing in popularity at the same time in the mid-20th Century. Both were pretty savvy when it came to branding and marketing and co-opted the best takeaways from this recognized and well-regarded indigenous culture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    When I bought the bike it was sitting on that very rug, I imagine the guy I bought it from took that pic and posted it somewhere. I saw the same pic in a portland craigslist ad a few weeks back offered for sale ( $18,000, which wouldn't buy the engine ) with some other Indian parts. As I plan to restore it one day soon I am always looking on ebay/craigslist and others for bits and pieces that are better than mine, as a result I keep finding my bike "for sale" and for the right price it would be but the folks selling it don't possess it.
    I'm a long time motorcyclist, having owned something like 40 of them over many years. I was a bike mechanic long ago and now retired from the business. I'm familiar with most all of the major vintage bikes. The consensus of the bike restorers and riders that I know is that classic motorcycles such as yours are worth far more in "as found" condition.

While I'm sure that you could do a great job, there is something about the patina of age that simply cannot be replaced.

If I owned your bike, I'd simply clean it up and make sure that all was well with it and that would be that.

About 20 years ago when I was at the Laughlin motorcycle gathering (before the Hells Angels-Mongols shootout) I met a fellow who had a restored 4 cylinder Indian at the show. IIRC, it was a 1940 model. He had done a magnificent job and had spent a lot of money to bring the machine back into better than showroom condition. It was nice, indeed. There was an article about him and the bike in Cycle World around that time before it went quarterly.

One thing he mentioned was about the Corbin speedometer. He had found a broken one at a swap meet and he told me that he spent $1,500 getting just the speedometer restored. That's out of my league!

Nice bike you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing he mentioned was about the Corbin speedometer. He had found a broken one at a swap meet and he told me that he spent $1,500 getting just the speedometer restored. That's out of my league!

Nice bike you have.
    You mean he wasted $1500 to some ripoff artist. I have repaired Corbin speedometers and others, including things like silk screening (really polyester screening now) dials. There is nothing in one that can ethically cost $1500. BTW, I also made an Indian seat stamp by making an impression off an unused 30s seat someone loaned me with dental impression alginate, made a plaster one off that. I cleaned up the plaster and made a Cerrometal cast off that. I gave an epoxy cast of that to Howard Heilman, so the apparently authentic stamps on his seats are actually my copy, including one the one that Jay Leno sometimes plants his expensive ass on.

Bill

16. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mean he wasted $1500 to some ripoff artist. I have repaired Corbin speedometers and others, including things like silk screening (really polyester screening now) dials. There is nothing in one that can ethically cost $1500. BTW, I also made an Indian seat stamp by making an impression off an unused 30s seat someone loaned me with dental impression alginate, made a plaster one off that. I cleaned up the plaster and made a Cerrometal cast off that. I gave an epoxy cast of that to Howard Heilman, so the apparently authentic stamps on his seats are actually my copy, including one the one that Jay Leno sometimes plants his expensive ass on.

Bill
    I never realized how inexpensive vintage Indian parts are nowadays.

Harley Vintage Knucklehead Flathead VL Indian Henderson Corbin Speedometer OEM | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"While I'm sure that you could do a great job, there is something about the patina of age that simply cannot be replaced.

If I owned your bike, I'd simply clean it up and make sure that all was well with it and that would be that."

I think that paint got on it in the early 70's, then the old guy flopped it on the right side before he put it in a barn for 40 some years before selling it to me. If it was an original color I might do like you say but I am going to do a nice restoration, not so nice that I can;t ride it but nice just the same. I make quite a few parts for the old Indians and am able to swap them for much of the work I am not set up to do. I just got the speedo and generatoe back a few months ago and am about to send the mag off to be redone. Kiwi got stuck in Australlia with this covid shit but has offered to fix the fenders and tanks then make them Indian red ( close to blood red ).
    It will be nice but rideable as I put lots of miles on motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never realized how inexpensive vintage Indian parts are nowadays.

Harley Vintage Knucklehead Flathead VL Indian Henderson Corbin Speedometer OEM | eBay
    That isn't even a good one. Rusty and chipped glass.

We better get back to the subject, So My Indian channel is off.

Bill