What's new
What's new

My First Post

ov10fac

Plastic
This is my first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.
First, a little about me. I am a retired AF Pilot and College Professor. I flew F-4s, OV-10s and B-52s. I taught IT for about 20 years so have a pretty good understanding of computers. Until about a year ago I ran a small computer consulting firm.
Now I devote all my time to Project Healing Waters, restoring old woodworking and metal machines, and building things. I also spend a lot of time on the water with my fly rod.
I am currently in the process of building a powered fly rod wrapping lathe. I have it all designed and just purchased a cheap 3 jaw chuck. The chuck is designed to accept an 8mm shaft and uses set screw(s) to secure the chuck to the shaft. I have several DC motors that will work for this application but they have either 1/4 inch or 6 mm shafts.
So my question is, what would you recommend as a way to secure the motor to the chuck. I could purchase some 6mm or 1/4 in ID bushings and turn the outside down to 8mm, but I would have a really thin wall when all done, especially with the 1/4 inch shaft. I have considered just wrapping the shaft with tape, but that has obvious drawbacks. I could use a 10mm shaft and drill one end for the motor shaft and turn the other to fit the chuck and that option is available to me, but I really was looking for something a little simpler.
So, anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Back