What's new
What's new

My good deed for the day.

Bob E

Hot Rolled
Customer emails this morning with an emergency shaft that needs made for his customer.

Check my steel suppliers, closed Good Friday. Call customer and determine a repair of existing shaft is OK.
Did a heat shrink/weld repair within .001" runout on entire shaft.
Delivered at 4PM.

I was kind of balking on this repair until I saw they're making the bottles for hand sanitizer.

Customer emails this morning with an emergency shaft that needs made for his customer.

Check my steel suppliers, closed Good Friday. Call customer and determine a repair of existing shaft is OK.
Delivered at 4PM.

I was kind of balking on this repair until I saw they're making the bottles for hand sanitizer.

What is this ? AA ?

No. When you can buy a bottle of sanitizer again you owe him a 'Thank You'. There's a bottle somewhere with your name on it just for being a smartass. :D

Look around twinky brain...This forum isn't for Harry Homeshops that post "declarations & tool gloats"

I don't buy it, a local distillery is now making barrels of the stuff and the boss is handing it out for free.
Works a treat putting a squirt or two in a can of pepsi…..

And what would the OP's "Feelings" be if the job was just a normal job ?
"Angry" or "Sad" ?

Get back to work

Good work, DD. You posted twice as many times as the OP to castigate him, and invited (at least) two replies in support of the OP. So that's a four to one ratio of "nice story" to "bitching/supporting" posts.

So who's wasting more precious electrons (and time)?

Good work, DD. You posted twice as many times as the OP to castigate him, and invited (at least) two replies in support of the OP. So that's a four to one ratio of "nice story" to "bitching/supporting" posts.

So who's wasting more precious electrons (and time)?

For once (and only once) I agree with Milland.

I gotta say, I'm kinda fed up with the modern 'Look at me! I did a good deed! Look at me!' ethos that seems to be the rage.

I miss the old days when you did something good and the last thing you did was let anyone know. It was called, I believe, humility.

Nowadays, we have people just looking at every opportunity for someone to bless with their good graces - then brag about it. Oh, I'm guilty of it too. I used to occasionally stop to help someone who needed a jump start or fix a flat and not even tell them my name but now I fly right past them and head to the most populated place I can find so I can seek out the gay/retarded/black/old/female/transsexual/police officer/waitress/fireman and pay for their lunch whether they want it or not. Then, I strut around with my cell phone taking videos of myself so I can post it online. The other day, this old fuckin' bag had the nerve to tell me she didn't want me to pay for her Starbucks drink and she didn't want me videotaping her either. WTF?? Luckily, she called for the mall security and when they got there, I had them give her a sound clubbing then I bought them their hot java drinks.

But this hand sanitizer schtick? Pure genius. I gotta try that shit out.

Good job! Keep it up.

And guys, this is not the first person to brag a bit. SO WHAT? What did you do?

Delivered at 4PM.

I gotta say, I'm kinda fed up with the modern 'Look at me! I did a good deed! Look at me!' ethos that seems to be the rage.

I miss the old days when you did something good and the last thing you did was let anyone know. It was called, I believe, humility.

Nowadays, we have people just looking at every opportunity for someone to bless with their good graces - then brag about it. Oh, I'm guilty of it too. I used to occasionally stop to help someone who needed a jump start or fix a flat and not even tell them my name but now I fly right past them and head to the most populated place I can find so I can seek out the gay/retarded/black/old/female/transsexual/police officer/waitress/fireman and pay for their lunch whether they want it or not. Then, I strut around with my cell phone taking videos of myself so I can post it online. The other day, this old fuckin' bag had the nerve to tell me she didn't want me to pay for her Starbucks drink and she didn't want me videotaping her either. WTF?? Luckily, she called for the mall security and when they got there, I had them give her a sound clubbing then I bought them their hot java drinks.

AKA the YouTube generation.

(and NO, I don't much care for it either)

I take rather a philosophical view. Yeah, I get annoyed at a lot of the "look at me, I turned a shaft that's less than 005" out." Or the pile on's when one responder has given a perfectly good answer but ten more need to say the same thing their own way.

BUT! There's an entropy in human affairs that tends to move things to their lowest state. You've probably seen (or been) a kid in a quarrel where both parties think they got worse than they gave and need one more lick to even the score, a spiral into chaos. So there need to be at least some actions to keep from adding more crap to the pile. And the OP did that be getting a customer out of a jam rather than saying, "Yeah, you think you've got it bad? Get in line and I'll get to it when I feel like it." Meaning, in the entropy terms that if said customer had been fobbed off, he may take it but won't like it, and will take out HIS frustration on someone else.

Way back in the days, in the foreign car repair shop, we had a policy that any breakdowns that came in off the highway went to the front of the line if possible. It didn't make any more money. That customer wasn't going to be a repeat or to tell all his friends to use that shop. It was just one strike against things descending into crap and chaos. God knows there was already enough of it going around.

So, I think the world needs reminders off and on to do a good deed once in a while, and the the guys doing it like this one deserve an attaboy before everyone turns back to the pile of crap they are personally working on.

Delivered at 4PM.

Did you do it for free? That would deserve an ataboy! And an appointment to get your head examined!

Hey asshole....OP here, I very well may have put in more fucking hours behind mills, grinders, EDMs, welders, etc. than you!. Tell me what you've done.

Some of these replies are what make social distancing so easy.

thank you Bob E - it's about time somebody said that, ………...alas I've only been thinking it.

Wasn't it a year or two ago where they came out and said that hand sanitizer isn't really all that effective? I distinctly remember reading articles about that.

Delivered at 4PM.

That's not really a big deal, we do rapid return 1-offs all the time.

Back