My horrible spelling and grammar. Any other young guys? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can spell and write reasonably well, but not because of having diagramed sentences in school or learning cursive, though I did. It's because I know I'm inherently bad at it and thus work harder and double-check everything. I also read a lot. My fear is that even if you develop some level of proficiency, the audience that appreciates it is rapidly disappearing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.Minnich View Post
    Everyone miss-spells, some more than others sure, but if there were people that didn't miss-spell there would ne no need for editors for writers...books , screen plays, articles and everything has someone going over them for proper spelling and punctuation.
    Someone blasting you because you replied in a post and spelled 'There' when it should have been 'their' or 'your' when it should be 'you're' is just being an asshole in my opinion. They knew exactly what you meant so you communicated just fine...and if your not an English teacher then who the hell cares...just my 2 'sense'<~sarcasm
    It is misspell. Not miss-spell. Come on!

3. Likes D.Minnich liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    It is misspell. Not miss-spell. Come on!
    I thought it was c'mon

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.Minnich View Post
    I thought it was c'mon
    I stand corrected.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never thought too much of someone that can spell a word only one way, it shows a total lack of creativity.

7. Likes fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you correct my grammar, I will think fewer of you.

9. Likes fusker, D.Minnich, atex57 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, I'm amazed at how bad education has gotten in my lifetime. Sometimes I feel genuinely sorry for the Millenials, not that Gen X had it any better. We got shafted in our own way. (Watching all the factories shut down and go overseas...)

I've always loved reading and writing. Some of the best advice I ever got in the 4th grade was, if you want to learn to write well, you first have to read well. To this day, I can't sit down without something to read. When you read, you are learning. So if you read garbage, you will learn garbage, and you will write garbage. But if you read *good* stuff, by people who really know how to write, then your own writing and grammar, etc. will get better.

11. Likes dalmatiangirl61, charlie gary liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    Wow, I'm amazed at how bad education has gotten in my lifetime. Sometimes I feel genuinely sorry for the Millenials, not that Gen X had it any better. We got shafted in our own way. (Watching all the factories shut down and go overseas...)

I've always loved reading and writing. Some of the best advice I ever got in the 4th grade was, if you want to learn to write well, you first have to read well. To this day, I can't sit down without something to read. When you read, you are learning. So if you read garbage, you will learn garbage, and you will write garbage. But if you read *good* stuff, by people who really know how to write, then your own writing and grammar, etc. will get better.
    Some of us have a dyslexia and nothing could be more agrivating than reading a book, I do OK with things like forums for the most part, instruction manuals are OK but a story means reading a paragraph, then reading a second one only to have so start over reading the first to be able to tie it to the second, read the third and start all over with the first again, after a bit of that waiting for the movie seems like the best option, smacking yout forehead with a hammer seems a good second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Never thought too much of someone that can spell a word only one way, it shows a total lack of creativity.
    You do realize that is how we got ebonics? I agree with pavt, if you want to spell, you've got to read. I'm a consummate reader, from pamphlets to books, if my hands are not busy, I read. Yeah, I was one of those geeky spelling bee kids, did great on the local level, got stage fright at the state competition and choked on "buffet"

You guys do realize computers have spell check, right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    You do realize that is how we got ebonics? I agree with pavt, if you want to spell, you've got to read. I'm a consummate reader, from pamphlets to books, if my hands are not busy, I read. Yeah, I was one of those geeky spelling bee kids, did great on the local level, got stage fright at the state competition and choked on "buffet"

You guys do realize computers have spell check, right?
    It quit on my craptop I use for internet, it likely will die completly one day soon. I imagine when I get a new one soon but if it is anything like my phone it will substitute the wrong words more often than not

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can not write cursive anymore. I do not mean poorly but at all.
    Sure did once long ago but now so lost. This strange to think about and how and when did I lose it.
    At some point this just went away and I was never very good or neat. Have no idea where this died or went away,,it just faded.
    I guess this is bad but the thing not used and just lost to my brain and hands.
    My wife is great at it so I am the brain dead idiot who prints as a young child as I age.
    But she can not get "59 6F 75 20 61 72 65 20 77 72 6F 6E 67 2E" spit at her so I may have something left even if I have to print it.
    Bob

16. Likes fusker, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clive Cussler!

And if you really like a treat: Ken Follett!

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    You have more education than a lot of people. I suggest that you start reading books. One of my favorite authors is Tom Clancy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of us have a dyslexia and nothing could be more agrivating than reading a book, I do OK with things like forums for the most part, instruction manuals are OK but a story means reading a paragraph, then reading a second one only to have so start over reading the first to be able to tie it to the second, read the third and start all over with the first again, after a bit of that waiting for the movie seems like the best option, smacking yout forehead with a hammer seems a good second.
    The funny thing is, I have the exact same problem with math. I have no problem with understanding it when it is laid out into words, but if there's anything more advanced than Ohm's Law, forget about it. It took me 5 attempts to pass algebra.

And yet, I still manage to do technology (welding and machining) for a living. Go figure!

19. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was/am good at finding the solution but unable to show my work and had poor grades as a result

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was/am good at finding the solution but unable to show my work and had poor grades as a result
    I always hated the show your work requirement. How the hell am I supposed to show how my mind recalls information? Standardized education is a decent enough place to start, but there are just too many ways that people can learn that suits them best. Hell it's been proven that just between men and women that each sex has a preferred way to learn, yet we force all to go through the same route. It's why I'm all for letting parents choose the schools their children attend rather than forcing everyone into the public school system to drag everyone down in the name of equity. With as bad as education in the US has become it'll be just one or two more generations before the US is too stupid to make it into space anymore.

I am also one of the illiterate. All throughout elementary through tech school I've struggled with any sort of English/literary course. I used to LOVE to read. I was reading Jurassic Park and The Hobbit in middle school, but all of the over analyzing of every damn thing in English classes killed it for me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like fantasy novels. 'The Wheel of time' series by Robert Jordan (& finished by Brandon Sanderson using Jordan's notes after Jordan's death) is a phenomenal 13 book series that Amazon Prime has purchased the rights to and is making the books into a 'Game of thrones' like series and pouring a ton of money into it. Cant wait to see it

My favorite author is Joe Abercrombie, his character development is 2nd to none.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One misspelled word and the whole thread is urined.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    One misspelled word and the whole thread is urined.
    Taking the piss, are you?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    Clive Cussler!

And if you really like a treat: Ken Follett!
    Tony Hillerman

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, grammar and spelling have been "somewhat degraded" in general discourse these days. Frankly, I am now beyond shock as a reaction to what I see written, particularly on internet forums such as this one. I always resist the temptation to be snarky about this subject with those I don't know, but as Peter Boyle so aptly said in one of his many roles: "Holy crap!"

Beyond even the basic grammar and spelling (much correctable by using spell-check on a computer) lies the area of people employing words and phrases that they may have heard, and then use them in non-suitable context, where the meanings are morphed into something that oozes toward "sounds right" to the uncaring ear. It then gets repeated and used again, and spreads over time as younger unknowing types in media and on the internet continue to misuse the language. To wit:

-The phrase "play a factor" used in discussion of some situation with a variety of contributing elements. The correct phrase is "play a role" in that general context.
    -The description of a machine needing repair as "it needs fixed". Wrong. It "needs to be fixed" or "it needs fixing".
    -Using the word "behalf" to describe a simple functional role, rather than as a representational relationship. "That was an error on the city's behalf". Just not quite right. "That was an error on the city's part". More correct.

In terms of more simple examples related to basics of spelling and grammar:

There vs. their -- pointing out a place vs. a possessive descriptor
    Than vs. that -- I see usage of "that" where "than" should be, in comparing two things: "The Ford is faster that the Chevy". Incorrect. "This is faster than that". Correct.

I hear persons in the media using incorrectly-structured phrases, and misusing words often, and because they are frequently ones that have regular exposure to the public, their errors have greater distribution on a more frequent basis. This drives deterioration of the effectiveness of language to a greater extent than the occasional interview subject. I suspect social media also helps to fuel the descent to mediocrity, as individuals are reinforced in their postings by their "besties" and likes for their comments.

As many others note, reading "good stuff" is a key to writing. Using spell-check will often lead to revelations about something you "thought" was correct.

Lastly, regarding penmanship and cursive writing: I was always terrible at cursive. These days I print by hand or type.

That's my one and only diatribe on this topic.

27. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post