What's new
What's new

My shop made window mount evaporative cooler

DavidScott

Diamond
Not for everyone but smaller shops may find it interesting. Nice to have the fresh air coming in from the window 25 degrees cooler than the outside air temps, although a bit more humid. The shop starts getting a little warm, put a fan in the window to blow more cold air in. About $80 total for all components so pretty cheap. The evaporative pads I used are 2" thick and look like cardboard. The first and second photos show the cells and the water distribution pipe, with lots of holes, set into them. The last two photos show the complete system and with the lid on the water basin. The frame is 4" pipe trimmed with a jigsaw after assembly, I will cut more away at some point. Once I make a better way to mount it to the window it will be done. Another plus is it won't take up much storage space when I'm not using it. Even if you don't like my hack version I think the concept is quite sound.

Cooler-1.jpgCooler-2.jpgCooler-3.jpgCooler-4.jpg

Looks good, maybe I should do something similar.

How much does this increase the humidity of your workspace? Enough to worry about causing rust?

These pads don't seem to absorb water, they are far better than the standard pads and have much better airflow. No worries about mold where I live, as long as it is dry before going into storage.

Unfortunately, my temp and humidity gauge died a few months ago so I can't give you hard numbers. The difference in humidity is noticeable but I haven't seen any issues with rust. Keep in mind that I pump about 300 cfm out of my machines enclosure outside so I never get an increase in shop humidity from coolant evaporation.

Back