What's new
What's new

My wife says I have a problem

Mad Dad

Hot Rolled
Ok, does anyone else have this problem? I am addicted to tools! Doesn't matter what type of tool. And for some reason I have more then one of everything. I have 5 metal lathes. I have three milling machines. Six bandsaws. 6 drill presses. I even have a trencher used to dig trenches. I have two heavy duty trailers. And thats just the tip of the iceberg. I love fixing and restoring my tools as much as I enjoy using them. I love the "hunt" for tools! A little back ground - I don't even use tools for a living - I'm a computer scientist and mechanical engineer. Please tell me there are more people out there just like me? Maybe I can prove, through your response, that I'm not really crazy and that there are others like me. Help!

Well, I AM Tools. Nuf said...

Tools

PS Do a search and see if you can find the thread on how much in weight we all have in these things. That might make her feel GOOD about what you've got there. I seem to remember a gent who collects draglines...

Yup, your an addict. I have it too. I have way too much stuff for my size shop so I have been restraining myself from buying any more. It sure is painful.

If I do bring anything more home I have to do it when SWMBO is not around.

OK, I, for one, am like you. But that has no bearing on your sanity, or mine. All I can help you prove is that there are lots of madmen in the world.

I got my first power tool when I was ten, and my first metal lathe when I was fourteen. Now I am a 66 year old retired mechanical engineer and I refuse to say how many lathes, etc. I have (mostly because I can't find them all to take inventory). I do know that I don't have a trencher, though.

Oh, and my wife wanted to take a trip this fall. So I bought a Hardinge HSL speed lathe on eBay. It is too big for FedEx, but will fit in a car trunk. Off we go for a wonderful jaunt to scenic Lancaster, PA. She is sort of happy, and I get another lathe.

Larry

In order for you to be considered "crazy" or insane, you would likely have no insight into your "condition". You clearly have insight so the psychotic component is not there! ;)
I think you are DEFINATELY Obsessive Compulsive!! Don't worry, I am too!! As are most here.
You have a "healthy" addiction to a hobby that can easily pay for itself...Can't really say that about alcoholism or drug addiction!!
......With all that said, if you start stealing money from your kids to buys tools (especially tools you already have!!!) then I would say you have completely lost it and you need hospitalization.. For now..you're safe! :-0

I see no problem as there is nothing better
than having "dedicated" machines. The only
quirky thing is having 6 bandsaws I can only
see a need for having 4 (one each horizontal,
large and small, and one each vertical, large and small)So maybe you are a little weird,
and for the record I only have two bandsaws. :D

You need a couple "good" machines to keep working on the "project" machines

I think I'm north of the 50,000 lb mark after tabulating this stuff for a move.

I can only
see a need for having 4 (one each horizontal,
large and small, and one each vertical, large and small)So maybe you are a little weird,
No, I see having eight. 4 slow ones for steel and 4 fast ones for aluminum. So far I only have two. Got room for some more though.

I never saw a woman with 1 pot, 1 pan, 1 cup, 1 teaspoon, 1 cookbook, 1 needle (sewing or knitting).....1 pair of shoes, 1 dress, 1 coat and the list goes on.

6 bandsaws = one a day, a bandsaw for each of 6 different materials, 6 different set ups before need to break one down... efficiency in action.

YA GOTTA HAVE STUFF

....better than being wasted (legal or otherwise), better than gambling all your money, better than having an affair (at least safer and less costly if you were caught), better than being out on a dark and rainy night, better than most stuff on tv.

Will always get your money back that is invested. Would hope then you share with your most patient better half, and she will be most pleased.

....better than being wasted (legal or otherwise), better than gambling all your money, better than having an affair (at least safer and less costly if you were caught), better than being out on a dark and rainy night, better than most stuff on tv.
Ya got that right. I'm going to get my boy hooked soon as he's big enough to see over the chip pan.

Regis,

It doesnt matter what you were into your wife would say you have a problem

I've never married but I've noticed with women anything a man does its a "problem" now if the women have a closet full of shoes etc they never wear thats ok to them. The "problem" is the mans stuff, doesnt matter how much or how little a guy may use it it's a "problem"

Well thats untill she comes calling for help because she needs something done and what ever your "problem" might be is helpful to her. :rolleyes:

Dimitri

I seem to remember a gent who collects draglines...
Tools
I've been called alot, don't remember the last time, if ever that I been called that. :confused:
If it is cast iron, it tends to follow me home.
2 Draglines, 2 bulldozers, earthmover, rock crusher, couple front end loaders,etc, etc.. ATW lathe and as of next Wedensday, a B&S no. 2A horizontal mill.

Looks like I get to add another 3500 pounds to the total. :D :D :D

Marshall

Regis,
It's clear you have a problem. You do not know how to properly collect

It should be in even numbers. You have 5 lathes and 3 mills. This is wrong.

I only have 3 lathes and 1 mill. We live close by....you need to send me 1 lathe and 1 mill. At that point we will both have even numbers and the odd numbers we presently have to live with will be balanced for each of us..it's win/win.

p.s. (I have 2 bandsaws and you have 6, so you clearly win here, but if you send me 2 then we will both still be balanced)

Marshall, I'm SORRY. I see that you only have two. That's different.

Or were you talking about the gent thing?

Tools

PS I know of a International something16 bulldozer with a Bucyrus Erie blade that needs a home. Cracked block, but I'll bet it's free for the asking.

Oh oh, and I need to add gravel to my driveway, got a bunch of BIG rocks sitting around... when you come to get the bulldozer, mind bringing that rock crusher along?

And while we're on the subject, I got eight bandsaws, do I hear nine?

Hey Regis, feel better yet?

When I was married 25 years, I took a look at my wife one day and said, "Honey, 25 years ago, we had a cheap apartment, a cheap car, slept on a sofa bed and watched a 10 inch black and white TV, but I got to sleep every night with a hot 25 year old blonde.

Now, we have a nice house, nice car, big bed and plasma screen TV, but I'm sleeping with a 50 year old woman. It seems to me that you are not holding up your side of things."

My wife is a very reasonable woman. She told me to go out and find a hot 25 year old blonde, and she would make sure that I would once again be living in a cheap apartment, driving a cheap car, sleeping on a sofa bed and watching a black and white TV.

Aren't older women great? They really know how to solve your mid-life crisis.

Regis, Your bio reads fairly similar to my own, although a bit light here in the milling machine and dp department. I enjoy finding, cleaning up or restoring a homeless machine as much as making stuff with them.

One other thing in common is that in spite of the machine inventory which you have, your wife is at least still there to tell you that you have a problem. Take good care of that woman !

Den

[ 09-19-2006, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: dennh ]

Back