What's new
What's new

Myford Cylindrical Grinder Wheelhead Seals

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Need to replace the pulley side seal on the wheelhead of our Myford MG10. Will likely replace both sides as long as I'm in there. Jubilee has the seals listed, but I am hoping to not have to deal with the delays and ship times of ordering two simple oil seals from Jubilee, in Britain.

I've tried looking them up by the sizes that Jubilee lists for them, but am not finding any love. So, I am wondering if they are specials and I'll be forced to deal with shipping from Britain.

Does anyone happen to know what the seal numbers are? Are they listed in the manuals? ( don't have any, here ) Thanks for any insights.

Hey Sami,

Yes, you've found out by now. :cool: Still, the sizes are not giving me any love on this side of the pond. Maybe my Google-Fu is broken today? Was hoping someone has been down this road and might know which seal numbers they are actually are.

Best I can do - without trawling the web for hours ;) Imp oil seals are getting hard to find - period! might not be the answer you want - but it should get you out of a hole.

Go here Inch Measurement Oil Seals On Emerson Bearing

Where you will find the ID which is the critical bit, ....you make up the OD difference with a turned spacer ring ....a common fix these days.

The 15/16'' shaft dia's start at TCM 093143 TBH

The I 1/4'' shaft dia's start at TCM 12162 TBH

Thanks. Yeah, I'd seen those but was hoping for a direct replacement. Interesting idea about the sleeve. That had not occurred to me. I'd do that if they were not available at all, but since they are I guess that I'll order some from Andrew and just wait. Being a Yank on this side of the pond, patience is not a solid quality of mine. :o Thanks for the effort, Sami.

Interesting idea about the sleeve. .

An aside on that front, .....a goo mate of mine had a 7.5 ton truck that due to the sort of work it was on ate oil seals on the input to the rear differential, which of course :rolleyes5: just had to be a ''special dealer only part'' at around £40 each ( $55 - ish)

FYI In the UK, bad oil leaks - and his was, means an instant off the road notice, which includes a suspended tow (big $) and big fines :eek:

It was a double lip oil seal, ..a quick dive through the catalogues found 2 oil seals of the right ID & thickness for under £8 the pair, and I made him a spacer ring from a an alu drop at mate rate of some smokes ( cos he is a very good mate) and he was back on the road for change out of £14 ($17 -ish) .................and the mod lasted 2 - 3 times longer.

I did that repair 5 years ago. the old seal leaked because it was a standard size, and did not touch the spindle. so I made a sleeve, as I recall it was about .060 over the spindle diameter, I made ID same as spindle and used loctite Retainer grade to keep it there.

MG12 Wheel Spindle Seal Replacement

Thanks. Yeah, I'd seen those but was hoping for a direct replacement. Interesting idea about the sleeve. That had not occurred to me. I'd do that if they were not available at all, but since they are I guess that I'll order some from Andrew and just wait. Being a Yank on this side of the pond, patience is not a solid quality of mine. :o Thanks for the effort, Sami.

How did your seal replacement project come out? Did you get the seals from Andrew? Was the replacement problematic or straightforward? I am faced with the same issue and need to do something.

RonG

Back