What's new
What's new

Myford ML7 Electric Motor Conversion European to USA

Dodulation

Plastic
I moved from Europe to the USA a while ago and I took my Myford ML7 Lathe with me. This machine has a Brook Crompten (KP7575) 3/4 Hp motor on it which worked perfectly fine on the European 240 Volt / 60 Hz network. I plugged it in the American 110 Volt / 50 Hz outlet and it will work although it makes weird speed variation intervals and clicks every couple of seconds during these intervals. I think that is caused by the electromagnetic relay in the reversing switch which is bouncing on the lower voltage.
Anyway, besides those intervals it has absolutely not enough power to be be considered usable so I have to find a more powerful source.
So, I thought to use the 220 Volt outlet in my garage knowing that this is actually a 2 x 110 Volt outlet without a neutral line. Nothing happened at all, most likely because the electromagnetic relay in the reversing switch doesn't work without that neutral line.

Although I haven't tried them I read about the options available to use a Voltage convertor or just change the whole electric motor. Does anyone has any suggestions how to convert my machine to this 220 Volt outlet without exchanging the motor or using a step-up convertor? And are there people out there who have experience with step-up convertors on 3/4 electric motors?

Back