What's new
What's new

Myford Swivelling milling slide Graduation

penteo

Plastic
Hello everyone,
I got a vertical milling slide with the Myford lathe. I have no idea about his graduation, it has up to 100, its the small slide and its metric.

Wanted to know how much its a full turn, on my cross its 4 mm, but no idea if its the same for the milling slide.
Thank you and nice day.

Teo

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Teo, Myford Lathes are all Imperial screws, etc. That is before they closed production.
The present India made devices I have no idea. My vertical slides have 10 TPI lead screws
thereby the dial indicates 0.100 inch per turn.
RichD

Teo, Myford Lathes are all Imperial screws, etc. That is before they closed production.
The present India made devices I have no idea. My vertical slides have 10 TPI lead screws
thereby the dial indicates 0.100 inch per turn.
RichD
Mine is metric as was produced for Germany.
As for the slide, also metric, it is written on the box.

Hello everyone,
I got a vertical milling slide with the Myford lathe. I have no idea about his graduation, it has up to 100, its the small slide and its metric.

Wanted to know how much its a full turn, on my cross its 4 mm, but no idea if its the same for the milling slide.
Thank you and nice day.

Teo

Crank one of the slides off and measure the pitch of the leadscrew. Then you will know.

Really. It's not like they went out of their way to make these out of puzzle pieces. They re-assemble pretty easy.

Myford (Beeston) made the vertical milling slides in both Metric and Inch versions. I can't remember if the Metric one was 2mm or 2.5mm pitch screws, but if you measure the height change in ten or twenty turns of the screw it will come out to a number which is either a complete number of millimetres or a complete number of inches. It will also show what the dial calibrations indicate.

I think that 0-100 should be an Inch thread from the factory, but yours might not be inch, since the dials and the screws are interchangeable. I know this because I had to replace the screw on the universal milling slide I bought second hand, since it did not match the dial. :crazy:

Back