What's new
What's new

This mystery object looks like a patended boring bar insert holder.

partsproduction

Titanium
Given to me, 5/8" shank with a flat, and through coolant. The end looks like a special insert screws on, the overall length is about 3 1/2".
Anyone know who made it? I'd like to buy some inserts for it, the body is solid carbide.
Thanks,
partsIMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg

looks like a piece of scrap metal to me.

Though I could imagine brazing an insert onto the business end in a dire situation.

It's a PH Horn Mini bar. They make a few different sizes. If you give me the head diameter I can tell you what exactly it is. I can supply the inserts. I'm a tool sales guy out of Ohio. We sell a lot of Horn.

Thanks Shop Supply. I'll think it over, PH Horn makes good tools, but very expensive. The shank diameter right at the insert end is .355", but looking the capture grooves with a loupe I see damaged surfaces. I have three of these.

Thanks Shop Supply. I'll think it over, PH Horn makes good tools, but very expensive. The shank diameter right at the insert end is .355", but looking the capture grooves with a loupe I see damaged surfaces. I have three of these.

That's more than likely why you've ended up with them, I have been told (as in not personal experience) by a mate in the game, that if those insert mounting / coupling faces get worn or damaged, they eat inserts, …...and as there is no reconditioning etc available, they're binned.

It's a PH Horn Mini bar. They make a few different sizes. If you give me the head diameter I can tell you what exactly it is. I can supply the inserts. I'm a tool sales guy out of Ohio. We sell a lot of Horn.

Could also be a Sandvik or a Simtek. They are practically impossible to tell apart visually.

That said, I have suspicions that both the Horn and the Sandvik ones are made by/licensed from Simtek anyway, so they're quite possibly all interchangeable.

I have some from all three, so I need to check that out sometime...

...PH Horn makes good tools, but very expensive.

+1 on the PH Horn. Had some long ago. Nice system, but pricey.

It might be different over there, but here in the UK at least, Horn are actually very competitively priced compared to the other premium tooling manufacturers.

It's probably not a logistics thing, because I know that Horn have at least one manufacturing centre in the US.

It might be different over there, but here in the UK at least, Horn are actually very competitively priced compared to the other premium tooling manufacturers.

Just a heads up

I don't know how Horn compares with Simtek, and I know we're talking top quality industrial grade tooling ………….but for the little guy, in the UK Simtek ain't exactly cheap. Ref Simturn DX Inserts

I'm very familiar with Horn. I also sell Sandvik and the last distributor I worked for we sold Simtek. So I'd like to address a few things.

1. You can have the end reconditioned from Horn. I just sent one in for a client of mine. Their cost was under $110 USD. It is a long lead time however. 6-8 weeks.
2. Horn is the originator or at least the perfecter of these styles of tools. They are celebrating 50 years this year. Simtek was started by 2 former Horn engineers around 25 years ago that is what I'm told by the Simtek USA rep.
3. The pricing from Simtek to Horn is give and take from what I've seen.
4. Sandvik CXS series is made by Simtek and will match up to all of their holders. The Sandvik is noticeably more expensive in my opinion. However they usually have good stock. Simtek at least 3 years ago was ridiculous to get product. Like a month for a common tool.
5. Depending on what you need for an insert from Horn you are looking from $18-$30 which is pretty reasonable in my mind compared to a Micro 100 style solid carbide bar. Much more expensive than a CCMT or something longer that. However this one holder can take boring, grooving, back turning, threading, face grooving, cbn inserts and more. So it's more like an ease of use type tool than a cheap tool. They are also a stronger more rigid tool then a 1/2" or 3/8" indexable boring bar.

So the .355 dimension is basically 9mm which makes it a Horn 114. Like many have said their are competitors that have very similar design and make their products to directly compete with Horn so it is possible that it's from someone else. I can be pretty confident it is a Horn 114

I'm very familiar with Horn. I also sell Sandvik and the last distributor I worked for we sold Simtek. So I'd like to address a few things.

1. You can have the end reconditioned from Horn. I just sent one in for a client of mine. Their cost was under $110 USD. It is a long lead time however. 6-8 weeks.
2. Horn is the originator or at least the perfecter of these styles of tools. They are celebrating 50 years this year. Simtek was started by 2 former Horn engineers around 25 years ago that is what I'm told by the Simtek USA rep.
4. Sandvik CXS series is made by Simtek and will match up to all of their holders. The Sandvik is noticeably more expensive in my opinion. However they usually have good stock. Simtek at least 3 years ago was ridiculous to get product. Like a month for a common tool.
5. Depending on what you need for an insert from Horn you are looking from $18-$30 which is pretty reasonable in my mind compared to a Micro 100 style solid carbide bar. Much more expensive than a CCMT or something longer that. However this one holder can take boring, grooving, back turning, threading, face grooving, cbn inserts and more. So it's more like an ease of use type tool than a cheap tool. They are also a stronger more rigid tool then a 1/2" or 3/8" indexable boring bar.

The story about Simtek being ex-Horn sounds plausible.

Simtek are no problem to get here and stock has never been a problem whenever I've needed them, from the outfit that Sami linked to above.

Simtek also make a few other products for Sandvik, the large indexable threadmills for one. Can't remember the series name.

One thing that sets them apart a bit, the carbide Simtek/Sandvik ones I have, are entirely carbide. No brazed end. The insert seat and screw thread is sparked/ground directly into the carbide. I can't recall if I have any Horn ones that are like that.

Thanks for that SSG, nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth. :)

Back