What's new
What's new

Mystery tool that I think may be machining related but not sure

darneson

Plastic
Got for free at a garage sale. Label says something about "engineering" company but is to far gone to make out. Top mounted on opposite sides of the central bore are magnets and there is a magnet on the base. It is almost like it is meant for magnetically aligning something??

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 536
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 467
I saw this and it's made out of Metal, I was wondering if you guys being Machinists and all, would know what it is. I think it's for applying Rouge or maybe painting cars??

71fvv7IiAzL._SL1500.jpg

Rob,
I've got one of those. I keep in the kitchen. When SWMBO drops something and bends over to pick it up, I take aim. Sometimes the retaliation is pretty bad, but it's still worth it in the end. :D

As for the other guys part, it's for assembling a Turboencabulater. Something with the tremie pipes, but my meds haven't worn off yet.
JR

I saw this and it's made out of Metal, I was wondering if you guys being Machinists and all, would know what it is. I think it's for applying Rouge or maybe painting cars??

71fvv7IiAzL._SL1500.jpg

Most people nowadays don't realize the earliest spatulas were nothing more than a simple flat surface attached to a stick-like handle.

Object in first post looks very similiar to magnetic brake physics teacher used to demonstrate eddy currents. Pendulums from different materials (plastic aluminium and copper) were brought to motion "in free space" and between magnetic poles to demonstrate how fast magnetic breaking stops them.

Cannot make out the very first word or group of initials, but pretty sure that's "Arnold Engineering" on the decal.

Google turns up several "Arnold Engineering" firms, but the one currently known as Arnold Magnetic Technologies is the most likely. Their corporate history goes back to 1895 and goes on for twelve pages, including more than the usual mish-mash of comglomerations, spinouts, acquisitions, mergers, taking-privates, and taking-publics. So, lots of luck finding anyone who even recognizes your gadget.

Back