What's new
What's new

The Mystery Of The Vanishing Posts

I've recently become aware of strange goings on regarding certain threads. You can no longer post on the thread I began concerning the Boeing " Max ". No explanation as to why that is.

Then this morning I posted a comment in the Brexit thread. I went back 5 minutes later to edit the comment only to find my comment didn't exist any more. That's in spite of my post clearly being logged as the last post entered in that thread.

Something strange is going on, I think we should be told why.

Regards Tyrone, hoping this post doesn't vanish as well.

I've recently become aware of strange goings on regarding certain threads. You can no longer post on the thread I began concerning the Boeing " Max ". No explanation as to why that is.

Then this morning I posted a comment in the Brexit thread. I went back 5 minutes later to edit the comment only to find my comment didn't exist any more. That's in spite of my post clearly being logged as the last post entered in that thread.

Yup, this needs to come to light or we are leaving.
Many have already.

There does appear to be something wrong with that Max thread. I haven't been following it, but...

If I open the thread, the last post shown is by you Tyrone, way back on January 20th, reads:

If it's purely a piloting problem why has the Max been grounded world wide for nearly 12 months ?

Again, I'm not beating up on Boeing or Airbus or anyone I just want to walk down the stairs at the end of my next flight.

Regards Tyrone

But, in the subforum, it shows:

5Y82REC.jpg

This sort of thing is more readily attributable to database corruption that malicious activity...

There does appear to be something wrong with that Max thread. I haven't been following it, but...

If I open the thread, the last post shown is by you Tyrone, way back on January 20th, reads:

But, in the subforum, it shows:

5Y82REC.jpg

This sort of thing is more readily attributable to database corruption that malicious activity...

Must be smart corruption since I've only had it happen to comments that would be categorized as controversial/sarcastic

I've tried clearing cookies and cache. Tried a separate browser, but see the same symptoms.

I suspect that there might be a bit of database corruption somewhere.

Of course, there were a couple of major deletion and restore excercises at about the time that this started happening....

Paging Sherlock Holmes..........

Tyrone, does he still live at 221B Baker Street?

:D

On a more serious note, I attached two screenshots below. You can see the last post was Tyrone, but the previous page says MattiJ.

The really weird part is Tyrone's last post is #1240, but the previous page says the thread has 1236 replies (1237 total posts).

2020-09-26 13_13_54-Boeing 737 Max - Page 62.jpg2020-09-26 13_16_17-Manufacturing in America and Europe.jpg

Last edited:
That thread is somehow broken. I just posted there and the post wont show other than the small preview screen on main page.

I have no clue what you are talking about.... did any of this occur in a forum where I am the moderator ? If so, URL's please so I can have a look see.

(sigh)....always assuming the worst....good grief...:rolleyes5:

C'mon, Boss. Evidence right in front of us is not any flavour of an "assumption".

Somewhere between 17 THOUSAND and 18 THOUSAND of my posts go missing?

Nobody even KNOWS which, how, nor why?

I know HOW that can be done. "Many" classes of DBMS in my skillset.

No one else seems fussed. Why should I be?
Your right and privilege to delete the rest of 'em if you see fit.
No explanation required, either.

It ain't MY website!

Only scary if you did NOT have a hand in it. And do NOT know who did nor how.

Ever see a passenger bus with a steering wheel and brakes at every seat?

An airliner with a Dep wheel and full panel at every seat?

Surely hope not!

OTOH, It is kinda "beneficial" that at least the left front seat has a driver or a Pilot in Command ... that knows their job well ... and sees it done with safe predictability...

Last thing that struggling soul ever wants to hear from FAA is the REMINDER that "in command" means exactly what is says it means - that it is ALL on the shoulders of a Pilot in Command:

"What are your intentions?"

One should make clear that the problem isn't 'vanishing posts' as per problems between one of our moderators and a couple of our members, but unacceccible posts, where the symptom is that it is impossible to navigate to the posts beyond a certain post-number/date even though they are known to exist. Has the feel of a few broken 'next item' pointers in the database.

The posts have not vanished, there is just a database problem. It's been this way for quite a while.

Brexit thread same condition.

Open the thread. At the top, click "thread tools", then "show printable version". You should see all the missing posts.

One should make clear that the problem isn't 'vanishing posts' as per problems between one of our moderators and a couple of our members, but unacceccible posts, where the symptom is that it is impossible to navigate to the posts beyond a certain post-number/date even though they are known to exist. Has the feel of a few broken 'next item' pointers in the database.

Handicapped from the outset.

PM's VB sits atop an "attempted" relational (MySQL+InnoDB) with "object" features externally added by VB. It is neither an ISAM nor an Object DBMS.

And..the indices get progressively gnarlier toward close of workday. EVERY day. Lots of minor glitches appear, those hours before the morning run to rebuild the indices, etc.

"Should have been" using PostgreSQL because, among other things, it wasn't broken in the first place as was MySQL (failed ACID compliance, hence the need of the InnoDB kludge), and PG is already an OBJECT Relational DBMS.

"Run what you got"

It ain't a disaster.

Just progressively more labour-intensive .. and fragile ...than it needs to be.

"Success" .. plus the ever-longer "tail" of posts now of great age.. seems to be outrunning the lifing capability of the VB+MySQL+InnoDB toolset.

MySQL was NEVER in the "heavy lifter" DBMS class.

PostgeSQL/Ingres (Big Iron resident version) were never NOT. Head-to-head with DB2, Oracle, etc. "IMS" a different horse altogether.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's NOT a malicious intent thing. I noticed it recently on AS9100D's thread about a CAT toolholder thingamabob.
From the "Forum" page it indicated David N was the last poster but his post wasn't there. :( Then about a day later it was several posts up in the discussion.

I think the culprit is AI. It's slowly erasing our collective knowledge so it can take over the forum.

:D

(sigh)....always assuming the worst....good grief...:rolleyes5:

You have not come clean, and explained it all, you just keep locking these inquiry postings.

Do you not want us to offer free technical help to questions ?

Do you not like the help I provided to the Scottish machine shop trying to thread stainless rebar ? An single example of many.

Do you really think John Oder, Joe Michaels, Forrest Addy and the other long time members here, are going to continue to take the time to write volumes of paragraphs here to help newcomers, if their work is edited indiscriminately, deleted, and other nefarious actions done to it ?

My-o-my but the memory is sort.....

Back