What's new
What's new

Name for a bolt threaded full length

Bill D

Diamond
Trying to find some 12mm 1.75 hex head bolts that are threaded clear up to the head. Most I see are threaded about half way up then solid round shaft to the underside of the head. Is there a special name for the ones that are threaded all the way. If I had a die I could thread the extra bit but since these are leveling feet for my lathe I can not single point them on the lathe right now. Easier, and probably cheaper, to buy them anyway.
Bill D.

PS: A tip: I am going to solder a washer under the head so the washer stays in place to stop a wrench from falling down off the head. The washer will not actually touch anything and is not really needed. Of course the hold down bolts will have washers that float and rotate like any normal washer.

Forgot to say only need four, about 60mm long. I could buy metric all thread and weld on 3/4" nuts but for 4 bolts seems like some work. I will have to check the local bolt store this afternoon and see what they have in stock.

In the UK

Hex set screw = hex head fully threaded

Hex bolt = hex head with unthreaded portion

An M12 washer head set screw (where the washer is formed integral with the hexagon) would suit your purpose though I only remember purchasing washer head bolts.

regards

Brian

In the UK

Hex set screw = hex head fully threaded

Hex bolt = hex head with unthreaded portion

An M12 washer head set screw (where the washer is formed integral with the hexagon) would suit your purpose though I only remember purchasing washer head bolts.

regards

Brian

Plus:- Grub screw = what the US calls a set screw.

All thread double nutted maybe? You can even put a washer in between the two nuts.

Usually found in the "screw it, I'm sick of looking" aisle, somewhere in the back corner of the shop.

Back