What's new
What's new

Name and purpose of looong reamers?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Two odd reamers came in with other odds and ends. What is common name, and typical application? They are about 24” long, didn’t measure diameter.

Attachments

• AEB44DFF-205A-4ABE-B0B8-451E09AADEC1.jpg
    AEB44DFF-205A-4ABE-B0B8-451E09AADEC1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 5BE8AC56-F068-449F-AA80-754BFD170F44.jpg
    5BE8AC56-F068-449F-AA80-754BFD170F44.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 203
Two odd reamers came in with other odds and ends. What is common name, and typical application? They are about 24” long, didn’t measure diameter.

Don't know of a name, used for align reaming pairs of bushings that are separated by 6" or whatever and need to pivot on the same axis, for example the bushings in a steering knuckle that pivot on the king pin.

Don't know of a name, used for align reaming pairs of bushings that are separated by 6" or whatever and need to pivot on the same axis, for example the bushings in a steering knuckle that pivot on the king pin.

Yep, king pin reamer to be exact. Longer section should be the pre-reamed bushing diameter. This aligns the cutter for the first bushing cut. Shorter section is the reamed diameter to pilot the reamed bushing while the cutter engages the second bushing.

I made King Pins and bushings for a ancient Graham Page touring car a while back.I used Thompson Linear shafting for the pins. 1 1/8" diameter, just cut to length and put a flat on one side on center for the cotter. Made the bushes on the lathe with an undersize I D. I sharpened the shank end of the cutting edge on my 1 1/8" reamer and made a bushing with a slip fit in the installed bushing and the reamer shank. that way I used the reamer shank to align ream the bushes in the knuckle. This old car was huge, like 5' to the top of the hood, about 28" wooden wheels. It had a giant 6 cylinder engine, I made a distributor for it.

I made King Pins and bushings for a ancient Graham Page touring car a while back.I used Thompson Linear shafting for the pins. 1 1/8" diameter, just cut to length and put a flat on one side on center for the cotter. Made the bushes on the lathe with an undersize I D. I sharpened the shank end of the cutting edge on my 1 1/8" reamer and made a bushing with a slip fit in the installed bushing and the reamer shank. that way I used the reamer shank to align ream the bushes in the knuckle. This old car was huge, like 5' to the top of the hood, about 28" wooden wheels. It had a giant 6 cylinder engine, I made a distributor for it.

Well, that rattled the old memory cells. In the 1980's, I spent a couple hours in the old Graham-Paige plant on Warren Ave. in the Detroit area. For some decades, the building housed a used machine dealer called Sara-Lil. The building covered around 10 acres and was full of rusty junk, all way too big for me to want to haul home, but fun to look at.

An interesting description of Sara-Lil during its last days in 1994: The Story of Sara-Lil

A little later in the 1980's, I went to an auction at what had been the Frazer Farm Equipment Co. in Auburn, IN. Frazer was president of Graham-Paige from 1946 and decided to keep the Rototiller/farm equipment line when he sold the car part of the business. (More complicated than that; read the history.) At the auction, I think I bought at that auction a very nice (no rust) 7/8" Landmatic die head, missing the chaser blocks, but I had another head that had one set of blocks. On the nice head was electro-etched, "Graham Paige Farm Equipment." An interesting piece of history.

History of Graham-Paige: Graham-Paige - Wikipedia They made some cool cars.

Larry

Back