What's new
What's new

Nardini 1440E follow rest - where does it mount?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I haven't used the follow rest on my recently acquired Nardini 1440E. I am considering where to mount DRO scales and was looking closely at the apron. I don't quite understand how the follow rest is supposed to be mounted. I do see a pair of holes on the tailstock side that are about the right distance apart, but to use that location one would have to remove the device which kicks out the power crossfeed. Is that what I'd have to do to mount the follow rest?

I realize this is pretty specific to this machine so to everyone else I apologize.

metalmagpie

That one's just sitting on the tailstock side of the saddle. It isn't mounted. Look closely - no bolts in the slots.

Here are 3 photos. In the first, the yellow arrows point to what I think might be mount holes. In the second, the red arrow points to the crossfeed kickout device, which I'm suspecting may have to be removed to mount the crossfeed. Tthe third image shows the right (tailstock) side of the apron. For clarity, the yellow arrows point to oilers - NOT mounting holes.

followRestMount-1.jpg

followRestMount-2.jpg

followRestMount-3.jpg

Hope this helps. The manual isn't helpful, sorry.

metalmagpie

metalmagpie

It mounts right where you think it mounts. Pull the cross slide kickout and it mounts right up. The kickout mounts, dismounts as an assembly easily. That's the only place mine has ever fit.

It mounts right where you think it mounts. Pull the cross slide kickout and it mounts right up. The kickout mounts, dismounts as an assembly easily. That's the only place mine has ever fit.

I guess it had to be .. thanks a bunch, WSnyder! I owe ya one.

metalmagpie

I have never tried to mount mine, I will have to look at it tomorrow. I think it should be able to be mounted on the tail stock side of cross slide, or both sides of cross slide.
From the photos, it looks like the foot on the follower will push on the plunger, making the power feed not engage.

what good does a follow rest do if mounted that far away from the cutting tool, on the right of the carriage?

Back