What's new
What's new

Nardini Lathe : Routing Coolant Hose ??

dazz

Stainless
Hi
I have a Nardini MS350 which is a lot like the MS1440 that superseded it.

IMG_3856.jpg

I have refurbished the lathe and converted it to VFD. I have also fitted a single phase coolant pump. The problem is simply that I can't figure out the factory route for the coolant hose from the pump to the vertical pipe on the back of the saddle.

A search on Google only shows the lathe from the front. The few photos I have found viewed from the rear don't have the coolant hose fitted. The MS1140 has many similarities and the coolant hose route is probably the same.

Very rare for me to use coolant but when I do, it needs to work.

Can someone post a photo of a Nardini with the coolant hose fitted.

Dazz

Hi
The castings and layout look exactly the same as my lathe.
The factory hose route looks rubbish. I can see coolant running down the outside of the hose to make a mess on the floor (slip hazard). I can also see the hose getting in the way of removing/replacing the chip tray.

Also, the sump on the chip tray is just supposed to have a hose that drains into the top of the coolant tank. Nothing to clamp it in place.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

I will see if I can come up with a better solution.

Dazz

Yep, mine looks very similar to what you are showing. I use the coolant so seldom it has not been a problem. After 35 years or so, the drain hose from the sump to the reservoir is fairly stiff and tends not to move much at all. I suppose one could weld on a bracket or clamp to hold that hose, but it's really not needed in my case.

Dan

Last edited:
Hi
I am thinking of using very flexible hose from the chip tray sump to the coolant tank.
Then turn a weight that fits on the pump end to hold the hose in the coolant tank intake.

Dazz

Back