What's new
What's new

Nardini MS-1440E Oil & Manual

n2zon

Cast Iron
Does anyone have the oil type (DTE-26?) and total capacity (headstock, gearbox, apron) for a Nardini MS-1440E?

Also, anyone have a PDF of the manual?

Hi
The manual I have for MS-1400/1600 models says

ISO-68 oil

Headstock 3.5l
Gearbox 2.5l
Apron 1.5l

The manual is too big to attach.

Dazz

Just changed the oil in mine. According to the sight glasses, the book capacities are a bit much.

As for oil, my oil guy said it’s the same as ISO 68

Thanks, guys. Mobil DTE-26 is an ISO 68 oil, so I had the right stuff...just not enough of it. The headstock level is slightly high in the sight glass using the capacity from that manual, but the gearbox oil level didn't reach the sight glass before I ran out. According to that manual it should have, and left enough to change the apron oil too. More is coming tomorrow to finish the gearbox and change the apron oil.

I have a copy of the manual someone posted the link for. Some of the things in it don't match the 1440E. So far, these include the headstock oil filter, the oil capacity, and the drain location for the apron. I'm sure other things differ as well, including part numbers for this and for that. There's a copy on Amazon for $65, but I was hoping someone might have it in softcopy.

Another question is which position is supposed to be forward and which is supposed to be reverse. Up for forward, or down for forward? The new RPC is phased correctly for the mill and hooking things up per the color code made the lathe start in forward pulling up on the lever, but that (unmatching) manual says forward should be down. It doesn't seem to actually matter, but...

df1229fc940f0e98b6024a89f2c173a2.jpg

Looks like the E has more gears and a high/low range. I don’t see anything else tho

Is there a ms-1400 and a ms-1440? I have a book for the 1400 but the lathe is a 1440.

I don't know whether there is a plain MS-1440, but there is an MS-1440S and an MS-1440E. The E has a 2-speed motor and a top speed of 2000 RPM. While the 1440's strongly resemble the 1400's, there are some differences.

Hi
I have an earlier model but I found the same.

When you guys are right, you're right. I'd overfilled the gearbox, and the oil was so clear I didn't notice it in the sight glass. I added more and still didn't see it, so I drained it until it was at the right level. 2 gallons is more than what's needed for all three, the headstock, gearbox, and apron.

I don't know whether there is a plain MS-1440, but there is an MS-1440S and an MS-1440E. The E has a 2-speed motor and a top speed of 2000 RPM. While the 1440's strongly resemble the 1400's, there are some differences.

If I understand you right, there is such thing as a ms-1400e and 1400s? All I’ve ever seen is 1440’s

If I understand you right, there is such thing as a ms-1400e and 1400s? All I’ve ever seen is 1440’s

The manual I have in PDF shows 1400S, 1400E, 1600S, 1600E, and metric equivalents with different model numbers. Beyond what's in it and on the web, I know very little about Nardinis. (However, I just bought a 1440E, so I'm learning about one of them, little by little.)

Is there a ms-1400 and a ms-1440? I have a book for the 1400 but the lathe is a 1440.

The book on the cover says MS-1400,,,,but if you look in the back of the headstock,like electrical box,there is an embossed piece of aluminum that gives a basic description of machine.And on that mine says 1440 instead of 1400 like the manual says.Who fckng knows ?

Nardini MS-1440E Oil & Manual

I think the 40 is just the length of the bed? Like in my previous post if the machine were a 1432 then it would have the 32” bed. All these machines have the same bed except the length between centers.

color in 3 phase means next to nothing.
I prefer down for forward because it physically represents the direction I want the chuck to turn.

I have fitted my Nardini with a VFD. I programmed it so down = forward to match chuck rotation.

Also in this country, switch down = power on.

Dazz

Back