What's new
What's new

Narrow belt sanders, 1", 1.5", 2", what do you use and like?

rbent

Stainless
We are looking at getting a 1-2" belt sander here, and was wondering what you guys recommend/like/stay away from. Was looking at the burr king line, but not sure what model would work better for me. I'm currently eyeing the 70100 model. I've never used a thin belt one and don't know of one I can go use.

Belt Grinders | MSCDirect.com

This is in a University shop, we do repairs, prototypes, weldaments of structural steel for materials testing/load frames, and small run lots of 1-20 or so of our own parts. I'd like one for general use on things I can't get on my 15" disc sander. It would see light/moderate use, and more than its share of abuse from students.

I don't care to build one, got enough stuff to do without another project on the to do list. What do you guys like to have in a belt sander for the shop or brands to go toward/stay away from.

I have been using a Rockwell 1 x 42 belt sander/grinder since buying it new circa 1972. It probably has more hours on it than any other machine I own. That is because it is very useful. The down side is that the plastic wheels fail after a couple of decades of use. I seldom use my 12" disk.6 x 48 belt sander/grinder. I think the Rockwells are no longer made, but maybe there is a similar machine available.

I see Kalamazoo has an inexpensive ($289) American-made unit. Not as versatile as the Rockwell, but would do almost all the jobs I use mine for. http://www.amazon.com/Kalamazoo-San...1393640872&sr=1-2&keywords=1+x+42+belt+sander

I have doubts about all those Chinese versions (Jet, etc.) I see online, but never saw one to touch.

Larry

Last edited:
I prefer the 1" belt as the most useful for deburring and I like to free grind, that is I have cut down the work platen behind the belt to make it shorter and then I let the belt flex above that and use that part the most. If you are looking for a belt as a grinder for more heavy stock removal then I recommend a 2" belt as it will run cooler and last longer for heavy stock removal.

Charles

I've had a Baldor 2 X 48 with stand since 1972, with a 24 or 36 grit belt on it'll scare you with how much stock can come off, the only down side is about 15 years ago I had to replace the top pulley bearings, LOL LOL, it's been used, abused, and takes a licking but it still keeps on ticking. Top and bottom pulleys are aluminum. Just looked up the price of my belt grinder and fell out of my chair list is $1,800.00 with out the stand , they can be had for $1,200 with out stand. Boy did I get a deal the belt sander, 12 X 12 X 4 granite plate, and a Starrett vernier height gauge in wooden box for $100.00 now these were 1973 prices, but it still was a deal the co. was going under and I offered cash (which is untraceable).

Last edited:
I have a 1" x 42, a 6 x 48 and a 12" disc sander and the 1" gets the most use. I use it a lot for deburring bolts and threaded rod that I cut off and for breaking the edges of small material that I cut off in the band saw. My sander is next to the band saw for easy access. Every time I cut off round stock I will hit the sharp edge on the sander, helps to save from cutting my fingers when I grab something off the rack.

Your all gonna laugh at me but we have 8 of those little cheap HF 1" belt sanders all over the shop. Our shop is like a big chicken koop, only 47ft wide but 188ft long. Having the cheapo sanders all over the place saves a ton of walking. The guys love the little Pcs of crap. There so cheap when the belt breaks you just throw the whole thing away.

OK not really, but almost.......

I have a 1x30" belt sander from grizzly and it's served me well for at least 4 years. I've used it so much the platen has a .025'' dish in it. I actually need to make a new one.
Great machine especially for the price.
Grizzly.com

They increased the price $20 in 4 years.....

In the home shop, I have a 1x42 (Chinese Delta, works great), but in our university shop, we have a 2"xsomething, which I will have to look at Monday to tell you what it is. Works great, but pretty primitive. But hey, it's just a sander! We do all the same sort of work you do, I am sure.

For deburring Al, I'm sold on ScotchBrite wheels. They do a great job, way better than a sander. With the wide wheels you can also give the Al a nice burnish before anodizing. Just make sure you don't do steel on the same wheels you do Al on, or you will embed steel into the Al, and have problems if you ever anodize the Al.

Cheers,
--Hawk

The 1x42" is pretty handy. I picked up a nice custom made one at a garage sale that a skilled blacksmith designed and built (he even cast the aluminum wheels). Dead simple but functional design and built like a tank. Best $40 I ever spent. From his subsequent comments he regrets selling it and is now making another one.

If you have a Rockwell Delta 1x42 with the disintegrating wheels, there is a nice guy on Ebay making good quality replacement pulleys and parts for them. His seller name on ebay is "flwbass"

Good Luck!

I like a 2" for all around work. you can still cut down 2" belt to say a 1/4" and use it on the sander it need be. We do it all the time.

KBC Tools & Machinery, Inc.

Years back we bought 3 of these guys. They work fine and still are working after all these years. We pulled the guards off the right side and put on non-woven buffing 3M buffing wheels.

Zoomie Products Model 66 Knifemaker belt grinder. This machine is 1 HP with a VFD for speed control, variable between 50 and 3000 feet per minute, no step pulleys or V belts to change on this one, just the turn of a knob for speed control. 2" X 60" or 2" X 72" belts can be used. It comes standard with a 8" contact wheel, a 2 roller adjustable angle platen and a work rest that can be used with either attachment. The baseplate is 3/16" steel on rubber feet, most other parts are machined out of aluminum. One bolt is all that is used to either change attachments or to set the angle of the 2 roller platen. The Micro tracking mechanism is a key feature that ensures long belt life. The flat platen between the 2 roller attachment is adjustable and removable for profiling handles or odd shapes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_IbAJ-MCVg]

Attachments

• May 30 stills 002.jpg
    May 30 stills 002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 920
  • May 30 stills 006.jpg
    May 30 stills 006.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,328
  • May 30 stills 007.jpg
    May 30 stills 007.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 4,407
  • Small Roller Attachement 001.jpg
    Small Roller Attachement 001.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 3,791
Last edited:
We're also looking for a 2" sander, anyone have a kalamazoo? Do you like it? The tracking seems a little awkward.

There is also the multitool belt sander, attaches to a bench grinder. Made in Australia, look to be well made. People seem to really like them, no work rest though.

http://www.trick-tools.com/Bench_Grinder_Attachments_28

At home I have a KMG clone i made, search Beaumont metal works. They're really versatile but don't have the time to make one at work right now.

The 1x42" is pretty handy. I picked up a nice custom made one at a garage sale that a skilled blacksmith designed and built (he even cast the aluminum wheels). Dead simple but functional design and built like a tank. Best $40 I ever spent. From his subsequent comments he regrets selling it and is now making another one.

If you have a Rockwell Delta 1x42 with the disintegrating wheels, there is a nice guy on Ebay making good quality replacement pulleys and parts for them. His seller name on ebay is "flwbass"

Good Luck!

The new wheels for Rockwell 1 x 42 sanders are available from [email protected] . He sells them on eBay, but why pay eBay if you don't need to? He is local to me, and delivered them to my door.

Larry

Go and watch the videos on the Radius Master. You can use a 1" belt if you wanted to. It's not cheap, one speed...... don't know how it would stand up if given constant abuse by students but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying will be the case. It's versatile for the money, got about seven ways to Sunday worth of optional positions on the basic machine. You can get just about any configuration you want on Burr Kings, not cheap but about as bullet proof as you're going to get.

Back