What's new
What's new

Need 120V Portable "puller"

motion guru

Diamond
I am looking for a compact 120V portable puller that uses synthetic rope. Any reason why I can't retrofit this with appropriate sized winch rated rope instead of wire rope / cable? The comments on these say they only have 15 feet of cable storage . . . I bet if I retrofit with synthetic rope with 1000lb working capacity, it would likely only hold 5 - 8 feet of rope . . . that wouldn't work.

warn-winches-885000-64_1000.jpg

I would actually prefer a capstan style but not having much luck with anything quite as cost effective as this. I don't need it to hold after pulling, just pull and then done.

Any ideas?

I am looking for a compact 120V portable puller that uses synthetic rope. Any reason why I can't retrofit this with appropriate sized winch rated rope instead of wire rope / cable? The comments on these say they only have 15 feet of cable storage . . . I bet if I retrofit with synthetic rope with 1000lb working capacity, it would likely only hold 5 - 8 feet of rope . . . that wouldn't work.

warn-winches-885000-64_1000.jpg

I would actually prefer a capstan style but not having much luck with anything quite as cost effective as this. I don't need it to hold after pulling, just pull and then done.

Any ideas?

A peg-down or cable anchored capstan (or windlass) sounds like exactly what you DO need. Length of the working line (that stuff Stuart linked looks an awful lot like what my last several arborists have been using on my (former) oak and maple tree removals), is "indefinite" as it doesn't GET spooled. YOU have to lay it, "Bristol" or sloppy. I recommend "Bristol".

Might find a used 12 or 24-volter at a marine salvage, then adapt for anchoring to a deadman or such via a static-length cable.

One of my tree guys has a hand-cranked one that mounts to a trialer-hitch receiver socket. He puts his truck safely far enough away, uses it for "pull down" guidance on some types of tree removal.

Arborist supply might have those. His was store-bought, not shop-fabbed.
I have another. Also hand-cranked, but uses wide, flat ribbon strap. One splices to other cordage.

"Page Two".

Some of these are dirt-cheap. One can use two or three in line to get greater total travel and have it NOW. Steel cable, of course.

The "is there any reason", BTW, has to do with drum/cordage crush/wedging and the rating of the braking/locking mechanism just as much as it does the raw pulling-power.

Note the stress makers place on a winch for a bumper and a hoist, for an overhead beam, NOT being interchangeable goods, same rating or otherwise.

2CW

Get some vectran from a marine store.
That stuff is ludicrously strong. (Like 1/8" rope with a minimum breaking strength of 4000 pounds or so with almost no stretch)
I don't think you'll lose any capacity...

I'm not a shill for the manufacturer, and I'm just trying to be helpful, but I've used this stuff as standing. Rigging on a boat replacing stainless steel, and it's amazing.

If it degrades, remember, it costs a couple of bucks a foot.

Parenthetically, why in the hell are all of you guys up at 0200 commenting on a thread about a winch?

If you believe this advertising:

Master Pull Superline® winch line3/16"10,000 lbs
Master Pull Basic winch line3/16" 4,900 lbs
AmSteel®- Blue winch line3/16"4,900 lbs
Technora® winch line3/16"5,763 lbs
Vectran® winch line3/16"5,500 lbs
Plasma® winch line3/16"5,500 lbs
Spectra® winch line3/16"3,600 lbs
Steel Wire Rope winch line3/16"4,200 lbs

...I would actually prefer a capstan style but not having much luck with anything quite as cost effective as this. I don't need it to hold after pulling, just pull and then done.

Any ideas?
We always packed a chainsaw winch on our moose hunts. Might be out of your budget, but these guys have a capstan version.

Simpson Capstan Winch

The closest thing I found to a capstan 120V unit that looks decent is about 8x the price of the Warn unit . . . that is economics of volume for you right there.

3AB My-Te Utility Capstan Electric Winch-Hoist, 115 Volt AC | GME Supply | GME Supply

only problem is that is only rated for 115V . . . :D

Rated at 800 lbs is probably fine for 90% of needs and can double line with a snatch block when a little more pull is needed.

Just my opinion. As quoted before, Amsteel blue will fit the bill fine as far as breaking strength.
To take it a step further, the lay of the rope is very very loose and prone to snagging pixels which I believe your application is not one in which you want to baby a line as is picks up chips forever in the soft lay and snags strands which will mildly reduce strength as it loads.
Vectran is very strong and does not stretch. It also fails fantastically due to UV damage. Skip the Vectran and go a small Dyneema core with dyneema cover over it . New England sells NER32 which is a dyneema core and cover with a 32 pixel cover. Comes in 5mm and is strong and precovered with the dyneema chafe sleeve. This will not snag pixels and will not stretch.
Or look into Marlow sk99 max which is a heat treated dyneema with a better strength and stretch characteristics than the amsteel sk75. This can also be covered with pure dyneema chafe sleeve to protect the core from snags.

Back