What's new
What's new

Need 2.5" x 5" x .375 ARCHITECTURAL Aluminum Angle

Neil

Hot Rolled
Dear All,
I Need 2.5" x 5" x .375 ARCHITECTURAL Aluminum Angle.The largest I could find was 4" x 4" x .25. I need an Architectural (all orthagonal, no draft angles) angle and I would like to buy a one foot length. McMaster-Carr, Grainger were no help and a google search revealed nothing larger than 4" x 4". An old steel book had a piece that was 2.5x5" but it was only 1/8" thick.
I imagine this is an extruding die size limitation but not sure.
I spent about an hour looking and even checked an old smallparts.com amazon website with no luck. Thoughts?
What we are doing now is milling the inside surfaces of a regular extruded aluminum angle square. Its a bit of a pain. Finding THICK architectural aluminum extrusions is a bit tough, and probably for a good reason. Thanks in advance!

Local extruder wants a 2000 pound min order. Buy and cut a foot off for your needs. You will be ready for next time. Or attack a stock .375 web piece and go from there.

When you said that McMaster-Carr and Grainger were no help, did you talk to them or just look in their catalogs and/or web sites?

What about other suppliers? Again, actual phone calls. Even if they don't, they may know who can.

How about cutting a 2 1/2 x 5 rectangular box section, it’s easier to make a box or hollow than a big L section, the long leg ripples somthing awful
Mark

I've been buying 5 x 5 at the local scrap yard and cutting one leg off on one of the smaller table saws here that i use for metal.
Nonetheless, for structural, the remaining leg is tapered. That's what a structural shape is.

Oh, & IIRC, the thickness is 1/2" inboard of what you are calling draft.

If you want to drive to Elmira, might be one foot section i'd sell for scrap price (need to measure to be sure, and verify dimensions)

smt

Edited: OK, I was wrong. It's actually 6 x 6 x 3/8" thick. If you saw the legs to size you need, the round/tapered part is gone, and the legs are parallel thickness. The 3/8" looks a little heavy. There would still be a cove in the inside corner.

Why? Have them change the plan to what can be bought and call it a feature. Probably faster and cheaper to round over the wood to fit the curve.
Bill D

Back