What's new
What's new

Need advice on a lathe

pracydna

Plastic
We’re looking for a decent lathe 12-14” x 30-36.” We keep striking out with seemingly dishonest machinery sellers here in Ohio. Or budget is around 4K and would like readouts and a decent amount of tooling. We don’t want to go new because my partner is oldschool and stuck on Logan, Cincinnati, Leblonde, Clausing type machines. We’re also looking for a mill like a Bridgeport, Millport Reliant type with power feed and readouts. Budget on the mill is around 4-5k. My name is Andrew I live between Cleveland and Columbus and we’re willing to travel for the right machines. My number is 419-922-935three.

Note: Also not opposed to suggestions for new lathes, maybe I can convince him to update a bit if there's something out there anyone recommends.

We’re looking for a decent lathe 12-14” x 30-36.” We keep striking out with seemingly dishonest machinery sellers here in Ohio. Or budget is around 4K and would like readouts and a decent amount of tooling.
There's a ton on Craigslist, many within your budget and some that look decent. Go to your favorite search engine and type in

site:craigslist.org <search name> (such as "American lathe" or "Leblond lathe" or whichever). You'll get a lot of choices.

Yes Emanuel, I've been doing that for the past few weeks. The only thing on there close to our size are 2 leblond lathes 15" swing within 200 miles of my zipcode (which is max distance).

Deals on Used Machinery ! Great American Equipment Company Inc. Offers, Used Machinery, Used Machine Tool, Machine Shop Tool, CNC Machine Tool, Machinery Dealer. Ask for Kevin. I've bought dozens of machines from them over the span of 20+ years and they have never steered me wrong. Any problems and they are on it right away. I bought a turning center from them a while back for my Tennessee shop, They forgot to send the manuals with the freight hauler. Kevin gets in his car personally and drove them to my shop from Ohio before end of day.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but we have had very good success with Vanderziel Machinery in Alto, MI.

They go through everything and test it before shipping. Of course you pay for it too, but.........;)

Mohawk has a 12" x 30" Logan with a bunch of stuff, looks reasonably clean for three grand. Mohawk is okay. Not great but okay.

Powerfeed is broken on it and something else as well. Spoke to them last week. Thanks so much for looking for me brother.

Deals on Used Machinery ! Great American Equipment Company Inc. Offers, Used Machinery, Used Machine Tool, Machine Shop Tool, CNC Machine Tool, Machinery Dealer. Ask for Kevin. I've bought dozens of machines from them over the span of 20+ years and they have never steered me wrong. Any problems and they are on it right away. I bought a turning center from them a while back for my Tennessee shop, They forgot to send the manuals with the freight hauler. Kevin gets in his car personally and drove them to my shop from Ohio before end of day.

I will call them now, thanks a ton for the information!!

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but we have had very good success with Vanderziel Machinery in Alto, MI.

They go through everything and test it before shipping. Of course you pay for it too, but.........;)

Putting in a call to them now, leaving a message. Thanks so much guys!!

Why would you limit yourself to a max of 200 miles? Expand your search area, you'll be glad you did. Find a machine then figure out a way to get it.

Why would you limit yourself to a max of 200 miles? Expand your search area, you'll be glad you did. Find a machine then figure out a way to get it.

Yep. I ran into the same issue when I was looking for my lathe. I expanded my search area to include not just Western NY but all of PA and Ohio -- Bingo!

My Craigslist app not the site allows me to search further. Am I missing something brother?

My Craigslist app not the site allows me to search further. Am I missing something brother?

I use search tempest and it allows searches from 25 to 2,000 miles or switch to "all of craigslist" for more distance from your zipcode. OF course I would use my motherr in laws zip before we went to visit her 400 miles away.
Bill D.

Note that not all tools get listed under tools. I have seen some under home and garden, household, heavy equipment, etc.

SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

When I have searched in a broadened area on CL, I usually just grab a few major metro areas and do a 200 mi radius from several points that way. It's a little more work but worth doing if you are going to travel that far for pickup anyway.

When I have searched in a broadened area on CL, I usually just grab a few major metro areas and do a 200 mi radius from several points that way. It's a little more work but worth doing if you are going to travel that far for pickup anyway.

Pretty much what I did, they have this thing calls "include nearby areas" and you can keep on expanding it.

Back