What's new
What's new

need advice on liquidating my late dad's machine shop

ikiya13

Plastic
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm grasping at straws at this point. My father passed away late last week and he ran a machine shop (2 lathes, 2 mills, and 1 CNC (sorry if this is not descriptive enough))

I need to liquidate his office as quickly as I can. What is the best way to get rid of these machines? I know of those auctions that send flyers in the mail but I don't know if they are all created equal or if they are really the best option.

I tried to do some research on pricing information if I was to sell these myself but I had a hard time coming across listings. If someone can give me a ballpark estimate for each of these I would appreciate it. They are all under-power and operational to my knowledge.

Here are some photos: my dad's machines - Album on Imgur

I appreciate any help at all.

The 2 Webb mills depending on condition and tooling included here in Phoenix $4000-6000 each. The Goodway lathe again depending on chucks toolpost and any tooling about the same. The CNC stuff not a clue !

First off, sorry for the passing of your dad. Did he have any friends in the business who could help you? What is driving the urgency to dispose of the machines? Lease on the space coming to an end, or just want to have the stuff gone?

Pricing is very dependent on age and condition of the equipment, as well as whether spare parts are available. The small CNC lathe you have is a brand I've not seen before, but maybe others here have.

You should give the location of the shop, at least the city or town. Also, is there a loading dock, or other means of getting truck access so that machines can be loaded?

Pay attention to the accessories and tooling that go with each machine, that can have a large affect on pricing.

First off, sorry for the passing of your dad. Did he have any friends in the business who could help you? What is driving the urgency to dispose of the machines? Lease on the space coming to an end, or just want to have the stuff gone?
Good advice. When liquidating, time = money. Just getting it gone ASAP will usually cost quite a bit off what could be realized by taking the time. We do understand sometimes circumstances just don't allow the time to maximize return; that's the tradeoff to make.

jack vines

$1500 -$3000 a piece for the manual machines.

The old little cnc lathe $1000 if it turns on. $500 if it's dead.

The CNC mill $4500 with tooling

Maybe you could get more, but I doubt it. Price it fair and it will sell.

Oh, my prices assume there's an affordable way to load like a forklift or crane on site or a rental yard nearby. If riggers are 200 miles away then you can cut those prices in half.

Sorry for your loss

The manual mills seem solid, so one would think they would go pretty easily, check FB marketplace and Craigslist to see what 'bridgeports' and such are going for

If the CNCs can be fired up, then they will go for something

Speed is the inverse of price, so many of these things are 30 years old, so while we all hate to 'give things away', they have made their money, ask for offers and see what you get, if you are paying rent on that space it gets expensive in a hurry

Garwood is pretty spot on.

I have a very similar Wasino lathe, same 3T control, gang tool, similar vintage. Paid $1000 for that this spring.

I have seen several Supermax Rebels asking 3k-5k.

The problem is you have to wait for interest and then deal with jerk offs and tire kickers to get them gone. That still leaves you stuck with a pile of tools and smaller equipment.

Unless you want to spend the next 6 months listing hundreds of items on facebook/craigslist/ebay I suggest you call an auctioneer.

Anybody that's anybody is listed on Bidspotter's directory, look on there and find one local to you.

Hi Everyone!
Thank you all who gave me advice. The machines and equipment will be auctioned off on Bidspotter. The auction ends tomorrow morning Jun 14th at 11:00AM pacific time.

Some great machines on there. Check it out:

Thanks again,
Debra

This wasn't even your thread. Are you are just spamming to advertise?

Also possible you just missed your own thread: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...p-advice-for-liquidating.401780/#post-3923100

Last edited:
This wasn't even your thread. Are you are just spamming to advertise?

Also possible you just missed your own thread: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...p-advice-for-liquidating.401780/#post-3923100
My apologies. I did miss my own thread. Similar titles. Wasn't trying to spam. So Sorry to the original poster. I'll try to remove. Ikiya13 sorry I mistakenly commented on your post. I am going through the same thing you are and have learned a lot in the process. Pleae feel free to message me if you have any questions about finding an auctioneer vs selling on your own.. Maybe you can learn from my mistakes. I've spoken to several auctioneers, resellers, etc. and would have done things differently had I known what I know now. Sorry for your loss and all the best to you.

Last edited:

Back