What's new
What's new

Need advice on what machine to get....

Jesse_92683

Plastic
A quick background:

I have a 1500ft2 hobby shop on my property and it sadly burn down two weeks ago. I used it for hobbies and the occasionally doing side machining jobs for extra fun money. In it I lost a tormach 770 (it was my first machine and although not a vmc as everyone likes to remind every tormach owner but it still made me plenty of money for the beer fund), late 90s Fadal 4020 and Fadal xt15.

So the question is what should I replace those with. These are my limitations:

1. Price of course as I quickly found out I was under insured.

2. I was hoping I could get just 1 machine as space and money are limited (story of every makers life)

3. I don’t know why but it bugs the shit out of me paying someone to unload the machine since I have a forklift but the machine really couldn’t be heavier than 8k (max forklift weight). So if a smaller 8k or less machine exists that would be great

Not nessisary but I was also hoping to get a 5 axis or at least one with a trunion in it as I really wanna learn 5axis machining.

So what do you guys think? Am I being realistic with a budget of 40k for a late 2000s, early 2010s smallish 5axis horizonal vmc?

A quick background:

I have a 1500ft2 hobby shop on my property and it sadly burn down two weeks ago. I used it for hobbies and the

Sorry about your lost shop and machines!

1. Price of course as I quickly found out I was under insured.

2. I was hoping I could get just 1 machine as space and money are limited (story of every makers life)

3. I don’t know why but it bugs the shit out of me paying someone to unload the machine since I have a forklift but the machine really couldn’t be heavier than 8k (max forklift weight). So if a smaller 8k or less machine exists that would be great

Not nessisary but I was also hoping to get a 5 axis or at least one with a trunion in it as I really wanna learn 5axis machining.

So what do you guys think? Am I being realistic with a budget of 40k for a late 2000s, early 2010s smallish 5axis horizonal vmc?

There’s lots of older VMCs and CNC lathes around for relatively cheap. Question is condition of them.

I highly recommend NOT trying to lift/move an 8000 pound machine with an 8000 pound forklift.

I doubt you’ll find a 5 axis HMC anywhere near 8000 pounds though.

I’m ignorant in this area, so I’m watching to see what responses you get.
Seems possible to me.

I highly recommend NOT trying to lift/move an 8000 pound machine with an 8000 pound forklift.
+1
Can't stress this enough!
Sure your forklift may be 8k max, but not 6 feet in the air when you're lifting it off the truck.
:willy_nilly:

Pay the cost, have the riggers do it. Even if they charge 1k/hour.

Do your own rigging and use a heavy wrecker to do the lift. Ive done this several times, last of which was $200 to pick/set 3 machines.

I'd really consider going back to a fadal solely for the support, parts cost, and availability.

After that, I'd be tempted to add a cheapish lathe and support equipment.

I'm starting to get away from the 8k weight limit to get a machine I'm happy with. So now I'm just wondering if a 5axis can go for under 50k?

I have been seeing similar things. Why are regular 3axis VMCs with 5axis trunions added cheaper than dedicated 5axis machines?

I have been seeing similar things. Why are regular 3axis VMCs with 5axis trunions added cheaper than dedicated 5axis machines?

Because you loose all your z travel and can only mill small stuff. A true 5 axis machine doesn’t give up all its travel to the grunion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The fire investigator said it was a cheap power strip. It was powering 2 desktop computers that I used for the CAM work. Fire chief said he has seen a lot of fires lately started by cheap power strips that says they are UL listed but never actually went threw the accreditation.

So I went and ripped out every cheap power strip I could find and chucked them in the trash.

That Cinci has an old trunnion sitting on the table, but the control is ONLY for three axis, not even Four axes.
There are only Three axes, plus a spindle on the motion control board.
There does not appear to be any wiring for the trunnion, or amplifiers for it....

NO returns...

You could check with the factory to see if any axes are turned on for that control serial number.

The fire investigator said it was a cheap power strip. It was powering 2 desktop computers that I used for the CAM work. Fire chief said he has seen a lot of fires lately started by cheap power strips that says they are UL listed but never actually went threw the accreditation.

So I went and ripped out every cheap power strip I could find and chucked them in the trash.

Thanks for the info I will also trash my power strips.

Back