What's new
What's new

Need Criterion DBL-203 Boring Head Lubrication Recommendations

comstockfriend

Hot Rolled
Purchased a little used but likely old Criterion DBL-203 Boring Head. Disassembly for cleaning found that the body was full of grease which had hardened to the point that I had to press the tool holder portion from the body. Now all cleaned up prior to reassembly. I've contacted Allied/Criterion for instructions/lubrication recommendations but haven't heard back.

Anybody have instructions and or lubrication recommendations? I was leaning towards way oil for slip-stick protection. Using on a Bridgeport so oil slinging is already taking place!

Purchased a little used but likely old Criterion DBL-203 Boring Head. ... Now all cleaned up prior to reassembly. I've contacted Allied/Criterion for instructions/lubrication recommendations but haven't heard back.

Anybody have instructions and or lubrication recommendations? I was leaning towards way oil for slip-stick protection. Using on a Bridgeport so oil slinging is already taking place!

I've rebuilt and use a lot of used boring heads. Hardly ever had a problem. Had one dead loss - the micrometer screw had corroded enough that it could slip a thread while adjusting; this cannot be fixed, so into the trash it went. And had one that had been dropped onto concrete, bending one side of the body so it pinched the slide so tight it would hardly move; this was fixed by a touch of polishing the high spot revealed using Prussian blue, removing just enough steel that the slide was tight but moved freely enough.

I don't think the lubricant is all that critical, so long as there is enough oil or grease to prevent corrosion. The big danger is corrosion while on the shelf. I usually use way oil and/or Mobile 1 synthetic grease.

I rebuilt three of the DBL-203 heads about five years ago. I assembled them using Lubriplate 101 engine assembly grease. It's a very light lithium based waterproof grease. So far the one I have left is storing just fine. No rust or corrosion. Ken

On my unmentionable cheapy boring heads I use run of the mill auto parts store black CV joint grese (Moly Di something??) and find it works a treat, no corrsion in storage and minimal stick slide when in use.

Just my 2 cents YMMV

Good Day, Ken --

One of the packages Fiske Brothers Refining uses for their Lubriplate 105 grease is labelled Engine Assembly Lube, and it (the grease, not the package) is both of very soft consistency and water resistant. Fiske Brothers also bills Lubriplate 100 as an engine assembly lube, but I've not seen it packaged as such.

The ENTIRE 100-series of Lubriplate greases have been on the market for close to a century, and are very highly regarded, but none of them use a lithium-based thickener; instead, they use a calcium-based thickener. https://www.lubriplate.com/Lubripla...s/PDS/Lubriplate/3_13_100_Series.pdf?ext=.pdf

With that out of the way, Lubriplate 105 has been my go-to grease for general-purpose uses, including corrosion protection, for decades. I whole-heartedly second your endorsement of it.

John

Last edited:
Use anything that will keep the adjustment thread from stripping or rusting. Mine came with a light grease. The color was white.

Back