What's new
What's new

Need Digital Read Out Recommendation

Weirsdale George

Stainless
I need to replace the AcuRite Mill Mate DRO on my Kondia mill. Can anyone recommend a good replacement basic two-axis DRO? I don't want anything fancy, just a good basic model. Travel is 30X15.

Also, has Acu-rite went gone of business? After Googling, most of the Acu-rite websites come up as "Error: Cannot find ..." The 1-800 number I found on the web for the company doesn't work either.

Thanks.

I wouldn't doubt Acurite being gone, DRO companies seem to be dropping like flies, I found
Sargon has went bye-bye, when my Sargon read-out
head took a dump, replaced it with a 2-axis
Mitutoyo for a bout $1,000 a few months back.

I recommend Newall, new is about $1200 IIRC.

I have a used Teledyne Gurley DRO on a mill I will remove and sell for $425. Gurley is still in Troy NY and is still making new units.

The Acu-Rite 200S 2 axis or 3 axis will handle BOTH turning and milling, you select. Packages now contain higher accuracy scales for turning.

It has a very bright LCD display and brings graphics to the DRO table.

For instance, doing a set of bolt hole centers, it will put up the pattern and show you where you are.

Also, there's the Acu-Rite 25% trade in deal. Mike at Cando Machinery can work out a good deal if you're interested. I just bought one from him recently.

Den

I just installed a new Acu-Rite (sp?) on my lathe. Barely dusty yet - although it does have a lot of chips all over it already!

The features this thing has for a mill is crazy! It really thinks it's a CNC control!

They were at IMTS this week too. They are NOT out of business by any means - although they have merged with Anilam. The guys at the show explained to me that they were always owned by a common parent anyway.

Acu-Rite is MADE IN USA! (And AFAIK the only one)

When I was pricing them out for the lathe they were in line if not possibly even slightly on the lower side of average on price too!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Sony. No induction, no optics. Vibration proof, liquid proof. Magnetic sine wave proven for 30 years.

They were at IMTS this week too. They are NOT out of business by any means - although they have merged with Anilam. The guys at the show explained to me that they were always owned by a common parent anyway.
I always wondered about that, because they used to use the same B&L scales. Is B&L involved in the ownership?

Acurite is defenatly still in business. Owned by Heidenhain now I was told, anilam is also owned by heidenhain apprently.

I instaled a brand new Acurite 200S on the lathe at work 2 weeks ago. Spent all last week messing with it while trying to make parts. Seems like a good unit but so far its slow compared to the old Heidenhain ND730. Really takes some getting used to. Took me 3 or 4 days to figure out how to properly set tools in it. It's a PITA as far as I'm concerned compared to the ND730. Also more buttons to press in order to change tools, which takes seconds away every time. If you zero a tool from the front page every tool gets reset to that new datum, you have to go into the tools page and zero from there then enter and clear back out. Too long for me but it seems most brands got too complicated now.

Sometimes too much technology is a bad thing. Anybody that needs so many buttons and options better buy a CNC. I'm not saying its a bad unit when it comes to workmenship and such, its defenatly very nice. Just that they went too far with it, part of the problem may just be that its made for both mill and lathe in 1 pakage. I'm just glad it doesn't have a scientific calculator with it like some do. It does have a basic calculator apparently but I ain't getting near that button.

I don't know how they are for the mills though. Price wise they were very good. If all you want is x and y positioning and bolt patern then something easier like a Fagor may be the way to go but they are close to the same price as the new Acurites.

Back