What's new
What's new

need drilling advice

Will5567

Plastic
Hey guys,

I'm trying to drill through 4150CA Steel thats hardened to 62C. I've killed 2 Cobalt bits in about 5 min to make basically no progress. any suggestion on the best type of bit to use to get through this stuff?

Thanks,
Will

Need a lot more info. Diameter, depth, lathe or mill? Number of parts? I would just check out Guhring's website.

If this is just a "hole" with no close tolerances, the cheapest method is to use a carbide tipped masonary drill. Reshape the tip on a diamond wheel to neutral rake. (They come strongly negative) It does not take much. Run it fairly fast, but becareful not to run it so hot the braze melts and the tip comes off in the hole. :)

smt

Hey guys,

I'm trying to drill through 4150CA Steel thats hardened to 62C. I've killed 2 Cobalt bits in about 5 min to make basically no progress. any suggestion on the best type of bit to use to get through this stuff?

Thanks,
Will
depends on size and depth of hole. sometimes carbide end mill down .002 up .001 repeat til depth , blow out dust chips often, if you try for too much usually just break end mill. down .002 up .001, repeat as needed. drilled out many a broke tap that way. greatest danger at hole end when broke tap is free often tap piece jams in against hole side and end mill breaking it

low quantity? use a masonry bit from the local hardware store. . . sharpened.

high quantity? use a yg dream drill.

You may actually get through it with the cobalt if you run REAL slow (like 25-30ft/min), use some cutting oil and dub the lips (gently touch the cutting edge of the drill to the grinder with the drill body perpendicular to give a neutral rake angle to the cut, like for cutting brass). I have drilled out roll pins this way, but you'll probably go through several sharpenings. The cut is going to be just sort of a scrape instead of a curly chip. When it stops cutting (which may be 15 seconds), resharpen the drill and go at it again. This would be OK for a couple of holes. As mentioned above, go with carbide if you have more than a couple to do.

'm trying to drill through 4150CA Steel thats hardened to 62C. I've killed 2 Cobalt bits in about 5 min to make basically no progress. any suggestion on the best type of bit to use to get through this stuff?

Thanks,
Will[/QUOTE]

google die drills they are economical and designed for hardened materials.
and keep air blowing towards the point to cool and clear the chips.

You can also use a spend carbide end mill

Back