What's new
What's new

Need Estimated Value of Granite Plate.

B-Mathews

Hot Rolled
Hey, Guys
Edit added photos below in the thread. I tried to edit this post to put them in the here but Taptalk would not allow.

I have an opportunity to buy a Repurposed granite plate locally. This plate was used in some fashion to reduce vibration and has one through hole in the middle of the plate of 1" and has a small trough going around the edge of the plate. I am guessing some fluid/oil came out of the center hole and it was captured in the trough.
The plate is 35"x35" and 12" thick.

Anyways the current owner intended to use it as a surface plate. 3 years ago he had the plate lapped and brought into AA grade. I don't think it has been used since.
Also has a very nicely made powder coated frame with wheels.

Any ideas out there?

I bought an 2' x 3' x 4" plate and stand for $50 at an auction. I've seen them go much higher. Price a new Chinese one, and decide how much you want this one. If you need it then you decide what it is worth. If you are just looking for a deal I wouldn't give more than $100. My $.02.

I bought an 2' x 3' x 4" plate and stand for $50 at an auction. I've seen them go much higher. Price a new Chinese one, and decide how much you want this one. If you need it then you decide what it is worth. If you are just looking for a deal I wouldn't give more than $100. My $.02.

Big difference in quilty than what you are talking about and then what I am.

Hey, Guys

I have an opportunity to buy a Repurposed granite plate locally. This plate was used in some fashion to reduce vibration and has one through hole in the middle of the plate of 1" and has a small trough going around the edge of the plate. I am guessing some fluid/oil came out of the center hole and it was captured in the trough.
The plate is 35"x35" and 12" thick.

Anyways the current owner intended to use it as a surface plate. 3 years ago he had the plate lapped and brought into AA grade. I don't think it has been used since.
Also has a very nicely made powder coated frame with wheels.

Any ideas out there?

Bought an "A" grade 4-ledge Herman 30" X 48" on factory stand a coupla years ago from a dealer, and for under $400, plus very reasonable shipping. Several years since last calibrated, but it had been tracking good, and the whole topside is unblemished.

You might have $200 of value in the one you mention?

Ordinarily, I'd say hold-out for a plate that was built AS a SP rather than a conversion, but WTH - at 12" thick for 35" x 35" AND with calibration?

I don't see a lot of risk it is going to warp out of spec or anything.

After all.. Herman had been in the TOMBSTONE biz until the War made CI surface plates go scarce and created a new opportunity for "stone age" tech.

Added photos that seller just sent me. He is wanting $600 for it.

94017b264756fd817ac238d02cc1fd0d.jpg

4907235b3c1c89bc8b448273bb2ac699.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion is it's worth what it would cost to lap and certify a used plate that size to spec. I accumulated 2 36X48 plates on stands for free, because the previous owners couldn't give them away. I tried to trade one to a dealer he gave me a hard no. since them I've found uses for them since I started scraping. otherwise I'd still be trying to give them away as well.

My opinion is it's worth what it would cost to lap and certify a used plate that size to spec. I accumulated 2 36X48 plates on stands for free, because the previous owners couldn't give them away. I tried to trade one to a dealer he gave me a hard no. since them I've found uses for them since I started scraping. otherwise I'd still be trying to give them away as well.

Good point. Any idea on cost for AA grade?

If it were me I'd take it if I had the room and it was a really good deal, which is very relative (if I needed an AA calibrated plate right now and it was big enough I'd go a bit over what a Chinese plate goes for).

I think you'll be frustrated by the trough, seems like it'd be a real pain to keep clean especially if you use it for spotting work. If it's just going to get a height gage planted on it that's another story.

If it were me I'd take it if I had the room and it was a really good deal, which is very relative (if I needed an AA calibrated plate right now and it was big enough I'd go a bit over what a Chinese plate goes for).

I think you'll be frustrated by the trough, seems like it'd be a real pain to keep clean especially if you use it for spotting work. If it's just going to get a height gage planted on it that's another story.

Also good points I have a 18x36 import now but was looking for a better plate for spoting. I did not think about the trough holding dirt and it getting dragged on to the plate.

+1

I shudda mentioned that the main reason I paid what I did for my Herman 30" x 48" was the relatively uncommon 30" dimension.

That lets me wheel it between two areas through an ordinary 3'-0" x 6' 8" fire door that wouldn't pass even this 35", what with the depth of the doorstops on a 90-minute rated steel-framed assembly.

The 12" thickness is attractive. The trough isn't too obnoxious but still a negative. The center hole is a significant negative for me.

If I needed a 35" square plate I'd pay $200-$300 for it if convenient and straightforward to make the deal.

A 36"x36"x6" AA is $1120+tax+S&H per the linked site. http://www.acegraniteco.com/ace_spp1_pdf.pdf

The center hole is a significant negative for me.
Point there. If for a transfer master for scraping, inner edges of the trough, then a diagonal - which crosses that hole, limits your longest straight-edge.

Can you effectively use a 36" inch SE, even by working the diagonal?

My 30" X 48" is effectively limited to a 48" SE - longest I have or expect to have - but still has at least SOME flexibility as to "where" on the plate I can work with that.

I have not been over there to look at it yet but yes he has the documentation. Ugh If he did not it would not be AA grade correct or any grade for that matter.
It could very well be AA, but you'd have no way of knowing for sure without checking it (or having it checked).

Since it is 12" thick I do not know if proper calculated support points are really needed. Is that stand supporting it all around or just at three points like it should. If the stand was not made for a surface plate it is probably not designed as it should be. But, like I said, for most work for a 12" thick stone I do not think it will sag much over time.
Bill D

For the $600 and a hole in it, I'd want to have the back engraved with my name and date of birth. Take it with me in death. Nice hole for the flowers? Weeds??

Otherwise, for me, the 12" depth is as much a negative in terms of moving that thing around or ever reselling it as a positive. A commercial plate at less than half the thickness would do as well in terms of accuracy. In a sense, what you have with that hole is two smaller plates and a hole between them that will occasionally catch things.

That said, if it's a current calibration, and you need a calibration for business purposes -- you could add in a calibration cost to the $200-300 or so the plate is worth. I'd guess the calibration, even if the owner finds it, is way out of date.

It also isn't clear if the granite is free of internal flaws and properly mounted. Might really be no better accuracy-wise than a new and much thinner and affordable plate. A 24" x 36" plate without the drip ledges would be more usable IMO and probably with as long or longer a useful diagonal and almost the same surface area. Take away the drip troughs and you have maybe a 30" by 30" plate (or two 15" x 30" plates). I'd rather have the rectangular 24" x 36" than the square 30+" x 30+" format.

It could very well be AA, but you'd have no way of knowing for sure without checking it (or having it checked).

Yes, that goes for 99% of plate owners/shops. It was graded 3 years ago after lapping. I can not see it moving being 12" thick or getting fouled up as it stored with a protective top over it. It would be more than I never need as for as the AA grade. That said I am gonna pass on it at this time.

Thanks for the help guys. I was ready to make him an offer but did not think out there drawbacks of the center hole and trough.

Back