What's new
What's new

Need good estimate of Grey Planer table weight

kgize

Cast Iron
Few years ago I bought out an machine shop entire inventory and then leased the building for purposes other than machining but machines were stored there, and recently the building where these machines reside was sold, and so I had to move many old vintage machines from that property to my residence (A huge Atlas shaper, a huge Reed-Prentice vertical mill, a Gorton horizontal mill, several surface grinders and tool grinders, a D-10 EDM, and more). So still Left in the building is a large Grey Planer table base. I have the vertical tower to the planer already moved to my property, but there are many parts missing to make it back to a true planer again (it was modified for specific purposes). I am not sure I want to move it or let the scrappers have it. I moved most of the heavy machines with a roll-back wrecker but the wrecker owner says (estimates) the planer table is too heavy for his roll-back wrecker truck and he might suffer a 2K$ ticket....I am not so sure..He has already moved machines for me getting about 9000 lbs. Any good estimates as to the weight of the table base alone on a grey planer that is about 12 -14 feet long 30-36 inches wide? Also looking for encouragement to get it home or let go to scrapper. Enclosed is a pic of similar planer and the weight I get for this online is 30,000 pounds for the entire machine...I need to know weight without the tower - just the base table...need to convince my wrecker owner its not over 10,000 pounds...

Attachments

• Grey Planer mill same size as mile.JPG
    Grey Planer mill same size as mile.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Just to clarify this - do you need to know the weight of the machine base without the table and uprights/cross rail etc or do you need to know the weight of the table on it's own ? If it's the table the exact dimensions including the thickness of the table would be handy. On a 14 ft table an increase in width from 30" to 36" would make a significant difference to the weight.

Regards Tyrone.

Back