What's new
What's new

Need help finding a silver plating vendor

gear cutter

Cast Iron
I have some rectifier buss bars that I need to have silver plated. The bars are copper 2" X 3" rectangular. 6 are 5' long and 6 are 7' long they weigh about 100 lbs. each. Does anyone know of a plating outfit that can handle something this size?

Logistics isn't a problem. I just need someone that can do the work. I can crate them good for shipping. I have to go all over to get things done there is no one close to me to do any specialized work like this.
I send all my heat treat work and grinding to Rockford IL.

Logistics isn't a problem. I just need someone that can do the work. I can crate them good for shipping. I have to go all over to get things done there is no one close to me to do any specialized work like this.
I send all my heat treat work and grinding to Rockford IL.

Shipping that much copper by truck, I'd get insurance for full value and double check the carrier's reputation. Talk about a hit if it "falls off the back" somewhere in transit...

Shipping that much copper by truck, I'd get insurance for full value and double check the carrier's reputation. Talk about a hit if it "falls off the back" somewhere in transit...

My plan is to use a courier. No LTL. Maybe a armored car service.

We do gold plating all the time (send out). If you send me a PM I can see who it is and if they do silver/other stuffs. I am in FL though...

Also try Pacific Plating/Atomic Plating out of Mission British Columbia (Canada) - (Atomic bought out Pacific Plating)

The guy that runs this company is regarded as one of the most skilled in the industry and will not let you down on quality. Several top car restoration guys will only take their stuff to him as the parts they need done cannot be easily replaced if damaged.

They also do production work for a few OEM's so if you need quite a bit done they can handle it no problem.

Atomic Plating Home

Dave @ Nerv

By the way, does your plating requirement call for direct silver over the copper? I remember that when I had a gold on copper need there had to be a barrier coat of nickel to prevent diffusion of the copper into the gold (or vice versa). I think silver can be subject to the same diffusion, although it's a slow process.

By the way, does your plating requirement call for direct silver over the copper? I remember that when I had a gold on copper need there had to be a barrier coat of nickel to prevent diffusion of the copper into the gold (or vice versa). I think silver can be subject to the same diffusion, although it's a slow process.

I don't know. But thanks for the info. I am going to bring this to the attestation of the engineer overseeing the project.I still haven't found anyone with tanks big enough to do these.

Back