What's new
What's new

Need help identifying this mini mill

Bwood

Plastic
Can't find any markings on this any where I'm assuming its just a cheap foreign machine any help would be appreciated.0404181656.jpg0404181656.jpg0405181829c.jpg0405181829.jpg

#1 clue to me that it is an import would be the plastic handwheels. That said, for a mini mill it does seem to have had more thought put into it than the round column unmentionables. If you just do small parts, it might be ok.

Edit: Head travels in/out, rotates left/right, knods, but I don't see a handle for the quill. I hope they did not intend for saddle to do the Z axis, that would be a major pia.

#1 clue to me that it is an import would be the plastic handwheels. That said, for a mini mill it does seem to have had more thought put into it than the round column unmentionables. If you just do small parts, it might be ok.

Edit: Head travels in/out, rotates left/right, knods, but I don't see a handle for the quill. I hope they did not intend for saddle to do the Z axis, that would be a major pia.

Where does it say the handwheels are plastic? They do not look obviously plastic, look more rusty to me.....

As for the quill, Benchmaster, which are of similar size, also have no quill, and the table is used. For that matter, most all horizontal mills with vertical heads also have no quill.

I agree totally it is a PIA....

It looks 1950'sh to me, look in lathes.uk, look at all the Y travel. It doesn't look like an Asian mill to me, but as to value that's totally in the mind of of the viewer, it has charm to my eyes, not to make a living on, but because it's unique.

I spent an hour looking for a sample like it and finally gave up. Notice how thin the base is, that's very unusual too, and no holes to bolt it to a table?

For that reason I do wish someone could tell us who made it.

Looks to me like a home-built one-off.

Lots of oddball features - head nods but no quill, really long Y travel, single T slot in the table, sections look like heavy pipe with bolted on plates/dovetail ways etc etc.

Better pix might show more detail but I kind of doubt it was a factory mass-produced item.

PDW

You are right PDW, that's possible it was fabbed. And I see a slot now in the base for a single clamp screw, that's odd. If it was fabbed from steel sections the workmanship was high, I see no evidence of welds.

Yea odd machine for sure if it was homemade they did a very good job there is no quill travel and no plastic on it anywhere and it is permanently set up to use universal engineering collets no taper for different bits so I'm trying to find some more sizes of those it came with one 1/2 inch collet. I gave a hundred bucks for that and the burke no2 horizontal mill behind it so I think I did ok.

Was in a second hand store last year, and they had something similar for
"Sharpening blades".

No quill, very similar construction, had an 2 way angle vise, and a small (2" dia.)
inserted face mill.

Back