What's new
What's new

Need help with information on Albrecht drill chucks

Frigzy

Aluminum
Greetings to all the machinists and metalworking enthusiasts of this forum,

I have an opportunity to purchase this very nice set of Albrecht chucks from a very nice person. The only issue is all my machines are only taking MT2 shanks and chucks on the picture have R8 arbors.

Could anyone please suggest if arbor is removable on this type of chuck? Can I buy these chucks and replace arbors with whatever type I need?

There are no model numbers on the chucks.

Thanks!
14B903C1-57FC-453F-A667-531155C1C364.jpg

Well, you could certainly hold the two with straight shanks in MT#2 collets . . . Can't tell (don't know size of the chucks) if the one with a MT shank is #2 or #3. Guess is that it's the #2 you want.

Frigzy, I gather you've met this person and can inspect the other two to see if the R8 arbors are integral? Even if they are, if the price is right, you could probably arrange a swap with someone else.

I'd guess that the Albrecht chuck, second to the left in your picture, has an inner taper and an R8 to taper adapter that could be removed. Would also guess that the the large one on the left is R8 integral. This, based on the appearance of the R8 shanks.

At the risk of sounding "cross", I cannot imagine any Albrecht chuck that doesn't have some sort of designation on the chuck body. If it has the size, you should be able to determine model number from information on the Royal Products website. They distribute Albrecht in the USA. Also, there should be a small marking on the top of the chuck body indicating which taper the chuck mounting is. Should be something like "J33" or maybe "JT33", which would indicate Jacobs taper 33, for example. If the R8 models are integral-mount variety, then the R8 mount is a permanent part of the chuck. I don't think I have ever seen one of those, though.

I never had an Albreick chuck that had an integral shank so you should be able to change them. Problem is the taper on those chucks are marked where the tapered hole is so you may not be able to see the marks until you remove them. On second thought the adapters themselves may be identified so no need to remove them to figure out what the taper is if they are.
Dan

Well, you could certainly hold the two with straight shanks in MT#2 collets . . . Can't tell (don't know size of the chucks) if the one with a MT shank is #2 or #3. Guess is that it's the #2 you want.

Frigzy, I gather you've met this person and can inspect the other two to see if the R8 arbors are integral? Even if they are, if the price is right, you could probably arrange a swap with someone else.

I'd guess that the Albrecht chuck, second to the left in your picture, has an inner taper and an R8 to taper adapter that could be removed. Would also guess that the the large one on the left is R8 integral. This, based on the appearance of the R8 shanks.

I have two integral R8 shank Albrechts, and those two in the picture look to have removable shanks. Mine have continuous large diameters at the point they meet the chuck, no "undercuts" as both in the picture seem to have.

Also, I checked a variety of my Albrecht chucks, and from 1/8" to 1/2" they all had clear markings on the body, with the brand and other information clearly stamped into them. If the chucks in the picture are not marked, they're almost certainly copies, not genuine Albrecht. Not that they can't be serviceable anyway.

Those do not look like Albrechts. The genuine ones normally have an upper and a lower knurl, with a black stripe between where they are stamped with "Albrecht Germany" and size and type.

Thank you guys - you all are very helpful!

I went ahead and bought the chucks. As it turned out - they do have some marking. 4 of them are genuine Albrechts without any doubts and the 5th one (the biggest one) is a Germany-made ROHM. They all need some TLC but otherwise in a decent shape. I just found a few wonderful YouTube videos about rebuilding these chucks (ie Albrecht keyless drill chuck - Shank Removal, Disassemble, Rebuild - YouTube ). It looks like it should be much easier to remove an arbor when chuck is disassembled.

Private videos

Thank you guys - you all are very helpful!

I went ahead and bought the chucks. As it turned out - they do have some marking. 4 of them are genuine Albrechts without any doubts and the 5th one (the biggest one) is a Germany-made ROHM. They all need some TLC but otherwise in a decent shape. I just found a few wonderful YouTube videos about rebuilding these chucks (ie Albrecht keyless drill chuck - Shank Removal, Disassemble, Rebuild - YouTube ). It looks like it should be much easier to remove an arbor when chuck is disassembled.

I tried to watch this video but it’s set to private :(

There's a number of vendors for parts when needed for the Albrechts. We have always got our repair parts through MSC, mscdirect.com
Seems jaw sets and the ball bearings are about the only thing we have ever had to replace and that's after tons of use.

Back