What's new
What's new

Need help locating this casted part on fixture

racer043

Plastic
I want to design a fixture for profile projector for this part as it isn't symmetric and hence the fixture it will lead to easier inspection of the spline ID which is wirecut. I am having trouble identifying ways to locate this part on the fixture plates and thus any ideas are welcomed.

I attached the front view (which would be visible on the profile projector) as well as how the part would be placed on fixture, just need to find a way to properly locate it.

Attachments

• 3D.jpg
    3D.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 119
  • FV.jpg
    FV.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 117
I want to design a fixture for profile projector for this part as it isn't symmetric and hence the fixture it will lead to easier inspection of the spline ID which is wirecut. I am having trouble identifying ways to locate this part on the fixture plates and thus any ideas are welcomed.

I attached the front view (which would be visible on the profile projector) as well as how the part would be placed on fixture, just need to find a way to properly locate it.

What does the machining drawing show as far as datum points ?
And why are we doing your homework for you ?

You need to think on your own, try a concept, lay it out on CAD, and try to make it work. If it fails, try another concept.

You've got two flats at not quite right angles so that would be the first obvious locations to crowd against but Doug's feeding you the gospel in telling you to find out where the origins are to work from.

You've got two flats at not quite right angles so that would be the first obvious locations to crowd against but Doug's feeding you the gospel in telling you to find out where the origins are to work from.

Yup, those (2) flats may wander all over the place from part-to-part.

Hi racer043;
Is there any reason you cannot clamp on the cylindrical portion of the domed feature with a 3 jaw chuck on a dividing head.
To inspect this with a shadowgraph you will need to rotate it into perfect alignment with the collimated light beam in two planes.
The spindle of the dividing head will give you one plane, and spinning the dividing head on its base will give you the other plane.

Having said that, why so you want to inspect this with a shadowgraph?
Unless it's very thin, it is a lousy candidate if you need any sort of precision.
If that spline is wire-cut, it'll be a gazillion times more accurate than the shadowgraph can even measure unless the wire EDM operator is a total hack.

I'd inspect this thing with a CMM.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back